why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: why I hate Window (2016 edition)

Post by Fred Barclay »

Nah, it's the typhoid. They didn't want you to spread any more viruses to their already-crippled OS.

(I apologise for a joke that took me so long to come up with, that it's no longer funny.) :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

at some point industry will have to deal with the lack of ComSec in the MfR*. this will only occur when the costs of Fraud and Abuse become un-acceptable. this may have already occurred but the loss may be mainly in customer goodwill -- as -- with no product liability law for software the makers of the MfR do not absorb and of the financial loss directly -- as in civil actions.

but we may be rapidly approaching the point where the MfR is no longer accepted by business managers. this may occur when people generally recognize that hackers don't go after individual PCs looking for easy to crack passwords -- they conduct sweeps -- using Phishing e/mails or Trojanized web pages -- so they can attack thousands of systems automatically. so far the lap-dog "mainstream media" -- is covering their * for them . this is not to say that there are not OpSec errors in business: there are.

any O/S that allows itself to be modified by the activity of an application program will become a victim.

application programs are launched from phishing messages and trojanized web pages and these will exploit any weak system they encounter.

the makers of MfR realize this and are transitioning their mess into "Software as a Service" where you use a minimal terminal program to access and manipulate applications and data maintained for you "in the cloud" -- "as a service"

---
* "Mess from Redmond"
¡Viva la Resistencia!
lexon

Post by lexon »

I just purchased a new Dell Inspiron i5558-2147BLK 15.6" LCD Intel i3, 1TB, 6GB, Windows 10 Notebook. Wow, worse Windows system I have ever seen. Last time I used Windows was 98SE and a very good system but in early 2003 I realised I should change and found Linux.
Girlfriend, stepson bought the same PC just before me so I have backup. Girlfriend’s son in law cleaned up a lot for me and put in a good anti virus.
Mint is slowing down my Acer 5515 laptop I think I purchased around 2009.
Need iTunes, iPhone and iPad connection.
Will dual boot when I figure out how to get around the wall MS has suppose to put in to prevent any other OS from being installed. Hope my buddy Google can help. lol

L
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

lexon wrote: {
snip
}
Will dual boot when I figure out how to get around the wall MS has suppose to put in to prevent any other OS from being installed. Hope my buddy Google can help. lol

L
wipe the disk / install MINT 17.3 add VirtualBox and install a windows system into it if you have anything you have to run in Windows
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Suggested Reading:

Microsoft doesn’t need Windows anymore

Take-away: MSFT is actively promoting its Cloud orientated business
according to the essay:
The biggest cash generator for Microsoft in the fourth quarter of 2015 was its server and cloud divisions.
their software offerings then are tailored to support their money-makers

this seems to be a business trend these days with big companies aggressively trying to push their customers into using online services

Adobe/CS is a good example of this,--

see Adobe: "The next generation of CS applications are CC applications"
¡Viva la Resistencia!
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Is it bad news for haters or good?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
mmix

Post by mmix »

If you using windows 10, roll back to win7.
Why Windows 10 sucks:
http://itvision.altervista.org/why-wind ... sucks.html

BTW, reactos is now getting becoming usable alternative.
https://www.reactos.org/
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Why do I hate Windows? Well, I just spent an hour keeping a friend's Windows 8.1 machine from nagging about Windows 10. :(

I had to nuke 4 telemetry updates and 2 "nag" updates. Plus hiding the updates, plus rebooting, plus "Windows is configuring updates: 30% complete"... :roll:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

Fred Barclay wrote:Why do I hate Windows? Well, I just spent an hour keeping a friend's Windows 8.1 machine from nagging about Windows 10. :(

I had to nuke 4 telemetry updates and 2 "nag" updates. Plus hiding the updates, plus rebooting, plus "Windows is configuring updates: 30% complete"... :roll:
I know of a fix for that issue! :lol:

I don't have that issue anymore... 8)
Now I spend my time exploring instead of avoiding and repairing and reinstalling! :D
Desktop: LM 21.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb
Laptop: MSI GE76 Raider i9 LM21.1
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Fred Barclay wrote:Why do I hate Windows? Well, I just spent an hour keeping a friend's Windows 8.1 machine from nagging about Windows 10. :(

https://www.google.com/search?q=gwx+con ... gws_rd=ssl
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Thanks, spearmint. I don't know, GWX seems to be highly respected, but I wasn't too keen on installing something I didn't know too much about. :D

I've a feeling that by the time Windows 8.1 runs out of support, my friend will be willing to give Mint a try.
- Albert Einstein
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

For those that don't want to use/trust third party software to disable Windows 10 upgrade (that's now more aggressive), just edit or create these two registry keys:

To disable GWX:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]

"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001
To disable the upgrade completely:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]

"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001
(You'll need to start regedit.exe as admin)
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Just anecdotal, yesterday and today in the morning my wife had to wait for an endless "update" of Windows 8.1. 48 updates: started in the night at 10:00 pm and not finished yet this morning at 8:00 am. She is really pissed off and begin to talk about moving to Apple (not Linux unfortunately). It's amazing how bad it is the update system of Windows! :lol:
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

I stopped using windows after xp was released, had my fill of it back then and switched to 100% linux.
No need to answer why, everyone knows why :lol:
Now I just have to be tormented using it at work and using kill process alot.
When me and the wife bought a new laptop each we thought ahhhh heck lets give windows a go again and see if anything improved over the years.
It was windows 8 and lasted less then a half an hour before I reformatted both hard drives.
Just a silly OS just silly.
Sam

Windows oh Windows how I hate thee let me count the ways
ahh heck I don't have enough time :twisted:
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Pointing back to the slow updates problem in this thread. For many, and several windows 8 and 8.1 computers, it was always slow from day one, long before Win10 came into the picture.

Every time I set the computers (multiple laptops and desktops) to install the updates, I had to do things manually for the most part.

After a clean install, I would get it to check for updates. Half hour later, it gives me the list. However, if I ticked even a single update and tell it to automatically download and install it, it wouldn't do so. I've tried many times before. I'd select a single update that's perhaps 300kb in size, and leave it overnight and it's still not downloaded.

After days of trying various solutions, I finally solved it. I had to go through each update, manually download it from the Microsoft website, and install them manually one at a time. After perhaps 80 updates, Windows Update finally allows me to install 1 update at a time.

Then finally, when it came to Wind10, things got more aggressive. The constant fights to prevent Win10 from being installed. Making sure the many updates that prepare and force the computer to upgrade to Win10, and the Win10 spyware that installs on Win8.

The amount of times I've hidden the Win10 upgrade and the KB3035583 that refuses to stay hidden.

Whenever I have to install updates on any of these half dozen computers, I have to free up a full day of my time to fight with it.
budman7

Post by budman7 »

I got tired of fighting the W10 update and let it do it's thing.
It needed 10GB free space to do the upgrade. I had just bought a 1TB external HD so I didn't really care about the 10G.
After it took the entire night to install and spending 30-40 minutes asking silly questions, it finished.
It is not as good as the previous one.
If you open a wordpad document, it asks every time which program you want to open it with, no option to remember the decision.
Previous version was horrible, update is even worse.
konjad

Post by konjad »

budman7 wrote:I got tired of fighting the W10 update and let it do it's thing.
It needed 10GB free space to do the upgrade. I had just bought a 1TB external HD so I didn't really care about the 10G.
After it took the entire night to install and spending 30-40 minutes asking silly questions, it finished.
It is not as good as the previous one.
If you open a wordpad document, it asks every time which program you want to open it with, no option to remember the decision.
Previous version was horrible, update is even worse.
Then why do you use it?
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

Yeah, i'm at the age where nobody except my immediate family can get me to look at a Windows machine for free. :mrgreen:

To everyone else i tell them my hourly rate upfront, i also suggest getting them into linux for less than i would charge to fix their windows. :lol: (I've had 1 convert so far, victory!)

Edit: To be honest, fixing windows is considerably harder, not just the freezing and lack of messages, but when it does return an error message, 100% of the time you will be forced to type it out manually like a damn animal. Why can't i just copy? Linux always let's me just copy the error message!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

fixing windows is considerably harder, not just the freezing and lack of messages, but when it does return an error message, 100% of the time you will be forced to type it out manually like a damn animal.
I just make a screen capture of windows messages, crop it, and post it if at a forum, or include in an email. It's easier.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Drygar

Post by Drygar »

Latest shit from Microsoft - enjoy
:D
> http://www.neowin.net/news/neobytes--me ... on-live-tv

Return to “Open Chat”