I am having trouble installing Nvidia drivers for my 260

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MissouriKnight

I am having trouble installing Nvidia drivers for my 260

Post by MissouriKnight »

I am a new user of Linux. I am using the latest Linux Mint. I downloaded the driver (177.80) for my Geforce 260, followed the instructions and ran it, and an error window popped up stating I was using an X Server, and I needed to refer to the readme file about that. I did, and could make no sense of what I am supposed to do.
Can anyone help me with this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MissouriKnight

Re: I am having trouble installing Nvidia drivers for my 260

Post by MissouriKnight »

Thank you for the quick and thorough reply!

Unfortunately, it did not work. After I executed the command to restart XServer, the screen went black and the system hung. I restarted the computer in safety mode, and redid the x config file from that window. I could then reboot and get back into Linux. I tried using the Nvidia XServer Settings tool, but it told me I did not have a correct X config file. It stated: "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."

I went to my terminal window, and typed sudo nvidia-xconfig, and then rebooted, but then the system hangs after a black screen appears after the Linux Mint loading indicator finishes. I am now faces with another safety mode and x config repair.

Any other ideas?
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Was looking around in the early hours and found this on the Ubuntu forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... nv+GTX+260

Post by Guest »

My knowledge of Linux is very sparse, so I could not understand what that post was saying.

I did perform the three steps the writer summarized, but Linux responded with replies that indicated it did not recognize the commands.

Is there anything else I might do?
MissouriKnight

Post by MissouriKnight »

My knowledge of Linux is very sparse, so I could not understand what that post was saying.

I did perform the three steps the writer summarized, but Linux responded with replies that indicated it did not recognize the commands.

Is there anything else I might do?
MissouriKnight

Post by MissouriKnight »

I think my level of understanding is too low for this board. I have not received the help for which I was looking.

I found a good build with Fedora 10. It allows me to use my video card.

Thanks one and all for your attempts to be helpful.

Return to “Hardware Support”