Firefox Crashes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
perkunas

Firefox Crashes

Post by perkunas »

My Firefox is problematic on certain websites, the whole computer freezes.The mouse wont work, the CPU and hard drive go's nuts.
The only way to fix it, is a hard boot, chrome works fine.
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Firefox Crashes

Post by Cosmo. »

Such problems are mostly related to the FF-profile.
To find this out do the following:
Close FF.
Open your file-manager and make hidden files visible (press ctrl-h).
Rename the folder .mozilla to .mozilla.bck
Start FF, this will create automatically a new FF-profile.
Check.

To get back to your old profile:
Close FF.
Delete the new folder .mozilla
Rename the folder .mozila.bck back to .mozilla
Start FF. Done.
perkunas

Post by perkunas »

Thanks but not sure what you mean by file manager?.
where do I find it?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The file manager is the program that opens, if you click on your desktop the home icon.

For more details we need to know your desktop environment. If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.
perkunas

Post by perkunas »

peter@peter-Satellite-S855 ~ $ inxi -Sz
System: Host: peter-Satellite-S855 Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.7 Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
peter@peter-Satellite-S855 ~ $
perkunas

Post by perkunas »

home icon ok but then what?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Double click it.

Other method: Open the menu and enter in the search bar: nemo, than press the Enter key.
perkunas

Post by perkunas »

Ok .mozilla but not sure how to rename it
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "perkunas",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Your file manager in Cinnamon is in the lower left of your system tray and is called "Files" and looks like a folder. It is really called the "Nemo File Manager", if you click its toolbar "help" and "about". It is also in your menus.

It would also help if you gave us some idea of which websites are giving you a problem. You might consider making sure that your Firefox plug-ins and or add-ons are not the cause by clicking "Help" in Firefox, and "restart with add-ons disabled", and check those websites again to see if the problem persists. If it does not, then one or more of your add-ons is the cause of your problems; and you can try restarting Firefox normally and then disabling one add-on (extension or plug-in) at a time, visiting those websites, until you find the problematic one, then disable or remove it.

You can also "Reset" or "Refresh" Firefox by going to the link below. Read the whole page first.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings

You can easily rename the Mozilla Firefox folder using your file manager, first close Firefox, then in your file manager, clicking "Show Hidden files", then browsing to ".mozilla", then right clicking it, selecting rename, and add something like ".mozilla2", or ".mozilla-old", or ".mozilla_03-26-2016". Then, when you restart Firefox, it will create a new one folder.

You can also create another Firefox profile which is great for many reasons, including for multiple users, for various tasks, *** using a custom folder (like "/Documents/Firefox" for easy backing up), etc...
Just type in "firefox -P" from a console terminal prompt, or create a new desktop launcher, or new desktop link to an application, name it "Firefox Profile Manager", and in the command line, put in "firefox -P".

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... x-profiles

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Mark the folder .mozilla in your file manager -> press F2 -> press end key -> add .bck -> press Enter-key.
amethyst_igor

Post by amethyst_igor »

perkunas wrote:My Firefox is problematic on certain websites, the whole computer freezes.The mouse wont work, the CPU and hard drive go's nuts.
The only way to fix it, is a hard boot, chrome works fine.
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
I'd like to know which web site causes this problem. I use Firefox on LM 17.3 Rosa and can test for you, if I think the site is legit. My guess is that problem web site auto-plays video, or uses a Flashy game or graphic or file storage heap, and Flash is required. Chrome has its own internal flash interpreter, and so plays fine. This is just a guess until you verify for me. More information, please.
perkunas

Post by perkunas »

Wow I just went through hell.
I renamed the folder, and it wouldn’t let me into Firefox something about profile.
Then I made a mistake and rebooted and got back into the login, but it wouldn’t accept my password so I couldn’t get in at all.
The install disk didn't help, so the only thing to do was start over fresh install.
Got it going again, but the site still freezes even with a new install the site is zerohedge.com
Its not the only one either, I have had others.
I may have to use something else from now on untill they fix the problem.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I don't know, what you did and with a fresh install any investigation is obviously impossible. But one thing is for sure: Renaming the .mozilla-folder has not the least to do with your password. You did something else.

Other question is, if you also formatted your home, when you did a new installation. If not, you have most likely preserved the origin of your trouble.
perkunas

Post by perkunas »

No its a complete new install, fresh one, so the old home is gone,
Same problem though, the site works for a while then crashes. I was told it had something to do with the pop ups that are conflicting, by someone on the site. I tried changing those settings but it made no difference. Its like someone’s trying to break into your computer, the CPU goes nuts, and the hard drive too.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "perkunas",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I just went to the website you mentioned, and I clicked a link, etc..., no problems in my Linux Mint KDE 17.3 with Firefox 45. I do have "ublock origin" installed, and "privacy protector plus" installed among many other add-on, plug-ins, extensions... There did not seem to be any videos or multimedia displayed on this website, so I don't think that those are a problem; multi-media should not be a problem anyway.

For your own Internet security, you might consider changing your local ISP's connection's DNS server IP addresses to those of a neutral safe DNS provider, like OpenNic, OpenDNS, FreeDNS, etc... And, using a "private window" when surfing a website that you have to login to, especially anything financialor that you want private. Using a VPN provider's service is always a good idea as well, like "Private Internet Access (PIA)".

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Software & Applications”