The bar at the bottom of the screen sometimes disappears

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tyebillion

The bar at the bottom of the screen sometimes disappears

Post by tyebillion »

The bar at the bottom of the screen (menu panel or whatever it is called) sometimes disappears after the computer has locked / gone to sleep and I have typed in my password. Is there a way of getting it back without restarting?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: The bar at the bottom of the screen sometimes disappears

Post by Cosmo. »

Do you have the autohide option enabed? Right click en empty place in the panel and open there the panel settings, then check.
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

I am having the same issue since the recent Cinnamon update.

I've had to do the Ctl-Alt-F1/log in to terminal, and type the following to get it restored without just restarting the whole thing:

Code: Select all

cinnamon --restart
Panel is set to "Always Show", not in edit mode.

Toggling the Ctl-Alt-F1/F8 options does not bring it back.

Maybe there is a bug of sorts in that update??
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Does ctrl-alt-esc not help in the situation? I know, that this is not the expected answer, but it would be good to know. I cannot reproduce the problem, so I cannot test here.
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

Using Ctrl+Alt+Esc is what I've been doing that appears to work. I hope this isn't something that's going to become the usual...
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Cosmo,

For me, it does not do it every time it resumes. I have note by the monitor so the next time it happens we'll try the ctrl-alt-esc sequence and see what happens, and report back.
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
tyebillion

Post by tyebillion »

"Auto-hide panel" is set to "Always show panel". Like with powerwagon75, it does not do it every time it resumes on mine either, so I haven't been able to test the Ctrl+Alt+Esc combination yet.
Kezarious

Post by Kezarious »

I've also started getting this issue in the past couple of days. My panel is usually set to 'intelligently hide', but even when switching to 'always show', it just shows a section of my desktop in place of the cinnamon panel. The Ctrl+Alt+Esc solution worked for me, so thanks! But wondering what the cause of this issue might be?
tyebillion

Post by tyebillion »

Ctrl+Alt+Esc worked for me. But this issue is a bug, right?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

tyebillion wrote:But this issue is a bug, right?
The last Cinnamon update (for LM 17.3) came here 6 days ago. My machine gets into suspend mode at least twice per day, that makes 12 times since that date. I have never seen this problem here, not before the update and not after. So from my observation I would say no. But we would need more feedback with more information, especially the Cinnamon-version, the used graphics driver and the used kernel, to judge. Without those information it is like poking around in the dark.
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Cosmo. wrote:...... But we would need more feedback with more information, especially the Cinnamon-version, the used graphics driver and the used kernel, to judge. Without those information it is like poking around in the dark.

hmlx@HmLx ~ $ inxi
CPU~Quad core Intel Core i7-6700K (-HT-MCP-) speed/max~1000/4001 MHz Kernel~3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 Up~1 day Mem~5621.6/16009.0MB HDD~1032.2GB(30.9% used) Procs~304 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.28

hmlx@HmLx ~ $ cinnamon --version
Cinnamon 2.8.7
GPU is an Nvidia GeForce GTX980, with 352.63 driver.

I am presuming that all the Cinnamon item versions listed in the Synaptic directory are correct. I would have thought to see all the version numbers line up, but guessing its a parts and pieces type of process, and not all need to get updated at the same time. ( sorry for the image link; couldn't get a photo to resize appropriately, and show up without looking all fuzzy/crappy.)

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/P54UPJN.png)

<EDIT> 28Mar16: Just woke the system up and panel bar was gone. Ctl-Alt-Esc did bring it back.
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
tyebillion

Post by tyebillion »

$ inxi
CPU~Quad core Intel Core i7-4790 (-HT-MCP-) speed/max~3370/4000 MHz Kernel~3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 Up~14 min Mem~1358.8/15992.3MB HDD~2000.4GB(6.2% used) Procs~233 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.28
$ cinnamon --version
Cinnamon 2.8.7
Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti. Driver is nvidia, version 352.63.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Now we see, that you both affected users have the same version of Cinnamon, the same kernel and the same NVidia-driver.

I - as aid not affected - have also Cinnmon 2.8.7 and the NVidia driver 352.63; different is the kernel: 3.13.0-37 here. This does not necessarily mean, that this is the culprit, take it at now as a piece of information.
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

inxi
CPU~Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E4500 (-MCP-) speed~2218 MHz (max) Kernel~3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 Up~16:52 Mem~1603.5/3952.0MB HDD~440.1GB(55.5% used) Procs~169 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.28

cinnamon --version
Cinnamon 2.8.7

Nvidia-340
Version 340.96-Oubuntu0 14.04.1
Nvidia binary driver - version 340.96

This is what I have, and this problem happens constantly. I also use the 'auto-hide'.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I installed on the same hardware another instance of Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 Bit, updated all level 1 to 3 updates and tried it 5 or 6 times: Still I cannot reproduce the issue, the panel stays rock solid on its place.

The specs of this system are as above, but with kernel 3.19.0-32.

So the cause of the problem must be somewhere else.

I advise to create a new user account without doing any changes there and check, so that we can see if this is probably somewhere caused by the account.
tyebillion

Post by tyebillion »

I did not change any of the settings on the panel, from the defaults.

I see there is a "copy applet configuration" function on the panel menu. Would it be straight forward to look at the configuration, if that helps?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Forget the copy applet configuration command; it does not work in LM 17.3 Cinnamon. Not in 2.8.6 and not in 2.8.7.
TheRebbe

Post by TheRebbe »

Same thing happens here. Nvidia driver 352.63

solution: ALT+F2 >> type r + enter = restart cinnamon
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Alt-F2 -> r -> Enter is the old method for restarting Cinnamon. Since LM 17.2 ctrl-alt-esc exists as a shortcut, the old method is still usable. The difference is - to my knowledge - that the old method does not restart Nemo, but the new does.
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Okay, this is starting to get annoying now. Immediately after the 2.8.7 update, it was very random upon resuming from suspend, that the panel bar would be missing. It's missing every time now.

Also, and don't know how they could be related, the file manager (Nemo) that comes with Mint; when I do a search, and get a long list of results, the folders in that list have a caret to the left of them, and it seems you have to have your mouse precisely on the center of the caret to click and expand the folder. Then, if you move down to select another folder to expand to view it, the previous one you expanded will close, and the one you wanted to expand will not. If you click the second one you're trying to expand again, it re-expands the one you viewed previously. It almost seems that Nemo is not following where my mouse is at. If I continue this process, I end up with several expanded folders that I didn't even want expanded. I know I'm probably explaining this poorly, but it is making the search function difficult to use quickly and efficiently. I made a short video of this with SimpleScreenRecorder, but I believe I did it in .mkv format, and can't seem to get it to upload. Will have to try again later with a different format, as I've got to run for now.
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu

Return to “Cinnamon”