Why is BleachBit in the Software Manager folder?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gilloz

Why is BleachBit in the Software Manager folder?

Post by gilloz »

With all the articles I have read lately about not using BleachBit to clean out files similar to what CCleaner does in windows, why is it included as an install in Linux Mint Software Manager folder? How does one go about emptying Temporary files accumulated from the Internet, as an example? In the Linux Community site, they recommend to uninstall both BleachBit programs because it can harm your computer. So, what is the logic in this? Am I missing something?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Why is BleachBit in the Software Manager folder?

Post by richyrich »

You can set cache size, delete temp files, etc. from Firefox's preferences.
BB is in the Software Manager because it is in the Ubuntu repositories, in which Mint has no say on their content. But, as Mint is based on Ubuntu, the Ubuntu repositories are required/needed.
gilloz

Post by gilloz »

Thanks richyrich for your response. OK, that makes sense. I appreciate your quick response. Thanks again.
linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

Bleachbit isn't as harmfull people would like to make you believe so. If Bleachbit is harmfull, so does CCleaner for Windows and all other cleaning tools and also cleaning commands run in a terminal. This is a post i fund on the Bleachbit forum were somebody asked about some rumours of Bleachbit: https://www.bleachbit.org/forum/rumours ... -bleachbit and this thread: https://www.bleachbit.org/forum/bleachb ... ow-safe-it.

As long you know what you're doing and don't do anything stupid, Bleachbit is safe to use. Just go through the Bleachbit forum, ask the guy who developed it any questions yu like. It seems to me that he is willing to answer any question you like.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

linuxfreak wrote:,Just go through the Bleachbit forum, ask the guy who developed it any questions yu like. It seems to me that he is willing to answer any question you like.
Senseless. Following this post by the BB-developer dangerous options would be "clearly marked" as such or been removed. When I tested BB I didn't find any such marking, that means, that the author claims, all available functions are equally safe to use. Even those, who defend BB, say something opposite ("use with care, don't use that or that").
linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

Cosmo. wrote:
linuxfreak wrote:,Just go through the Bleachbit forum, ask the guy who developed it any questions yu like. It seems to me that he is willing to answer any question you like.
Senseless. Following this post by the BB-developer dangerous options would be "clearly marked" as such or been removed. When I tested BB I didn't find any such marking, that means, that the author claims, all available functions are equally safe to use. Even those, who defend BB, say something opposite ("use with care, don't use that or that").
Cosmo, not senseless at all. Read that post more clearly!

i quote the BB developer:
Second, I've also read that BleachBit is dangerous, but like you, I could not get any specifics,
Meaning, despite all the rumours, even he could not get a clear answer or example of those rumours.
Also, and i quote:
so I suppose it is speculation or rumor instead of fact.
As long anybody shows him any example, all those rumours and speculations are fictional. If you came across any issues with BB, please post it the next time on the BB forum instead of ranting about BB on non-BB forums. As simple as 1, 2, 3 i think. Just make clear to him (the BB developer) what kind of problems, issues, errors you run inti when using BB.

Also,
When you install BB, there are 2 modes, as a regular user and a root modus. While the root modus works in the root ( / ) , the normal mode only works in your /home folder. Also the root mode will show more options than the normal-user mode. But both modes shows a few options that are experimental and when you enable those options you will get a warning. So, Cosmo, if you don't get any warning, than you're enabling safe options to use. IF you enable an option which looks dangerous and you don't get any warning, you either might missed it or it's a program bug only appearing on your system. If so, please report it to the BB developer. Like i said, that guy is more than willing to help you and provide you with answers/solutions. Also, your complaint is a tool for him to further develope BB and reduce the amount of bugs in his program. This is also what he states in his reply to that post, and i quote:
Anyone is free to report any "dangerous" (unintended) side effects or audit the source code for any reason. There are no secrets.
Just follow his tip instead of ranting about BB behind his back.

And again, read his post more carefully and thoroughly!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If the developer claims, that he does not get any specifics and knows only about rumors, there must be a problem with his perception. It is not my task and not my ability to correct such limitations.
linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

Cosmo. wrote:If the developer claims, that he does not get any specifics and knows only about rumors, there must be a problem with his perception. It is not my task and not my ability to correct such limitations.
But you can help him correct such bugs (not limitations, the only limitation is the person using the computer) by pointing them out to him. Your stubborn attitude and senseless opinion won't help him develop his program any further.
amethyst_igor

Post by amethyst_igor »

Bleachbit again?! :lol:

I thought we already covered that. In detail. Maybe, just maybe, a hint of pot-stirring, there?

There are many programs I'm not too fond of in the Software Manager, but they are there because some people really do use and sometimes love them. So I want them to be there so that everybody finds what they need. All of our needs, purposes, and hardware vary a great deal. One old thing I really like is Gcolor2, which can identify the hex code of any color on the desktop. It's an old program that apparently has been "replaced" by a new programn written for GTK3, but I don't like the new version at all. I have written the only review of Gcolor2 in almost two years in our Software Manager. So if it were removed, I'd be :evil: .
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

linuxfreak wrote:Your stubborn attitude and senseless opinion won't help him develop his program any further.
If you feel free to use personal attacking expressions, what shall I expect in the BB-forum? Your post gives the best reason for not trying to follow your "advice". Besides that, I use my time to help, where helping makes sense, not for a software, which is fundamental wrong, if it is named Windows or BleachBit or whatever. That will always be my solely own decision.
linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

Cosmo. wrote:
linuxfreak wrote:Your stubborn attitude and senseless opinion won't help him develop his program any further.
If you feel free to use personal attacking expressions, what shall I expect in the BB-forum? Your post gives the best reason for not trying to follow your "advice". Besides that, I use my time to help, where helping makes sense, not for a software, which is fundamental wrong, if it is named Windows or BleachBit or whatever. That will always be my solely own decision.
Well....see what happens if you DO follow my friendly advice, but it al depends on other attitudes what they do with my friendly advice. As far as i can judge after reading your posts, yes to me it looks like you're too stubborn to post your issues/problems/questions on the one and only correct forum. Instead you just love it to rant about BB on this forum which serves no purpose at all! And no, i wasn't attacking you personally, it was merely an observation.

Anyone posting any question, remark, issue or problem on the BB forum will be helped on a friendly way by the BB developer. The reason this person responds to every question giving advise and/or solutions is that this person cares about his application and tries hard to improve it. But he can only do that when people stop ranting, stop accusing, stop spreading rumours and stop spreading allegations like you do Cosmo. If you look closer to that forum you will see that, although it is not that active like this forum, is it much more friendlier and everybody gets a decent and sincere answer of the BB developer.

You want BB to be a good and solid program? I hope you do. Then post al your issues, problems, questions and quarrels on the Bleachbit forum: https://www.bleachbit.org/forum. I'm not active on that forum since i never ran into any kind of problem with BB but now and then i check that forum for new issues/questions/remarks. And i must say, on many forums people are ranting about BB, but nobody is posting their problem on the BB forum... Isn't that weird or what???

And again, i didn't attacked you personally i merely made an observation. Don't let my observation turn into the truth ;)
No hard feelings Cosmo.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

linuxfreak wrote:Well....see what happens if you DO follow my friendly advice. ... you're too stubborn
No one needs unfriendliness, if this gets named do be friendly. :twisted:
linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

Cosmo. wrote:
linuxfreak wrote:Well....see what happens if you DO follow my friendly advice. ... you're too stubborn
No one needs unfriendliness, if this gets named do be friendly. :twisted:
Nice to pick out just the things you wanna see Cosmo. You just made my point here.... Thanks!
atari800

Post by atari800 »

linuxfreak wrote: Nice to pick out just the things you wanna see Cosmo. You just made my point here.... Thanks!
Talking anything about BleachBit in this forum is forbidden unless it is negative gossip it seems. I gave up after this thread Here.

I favor your openness about the app.

AGAIN FOR THE RECORD:
I have no association to BleachBit
I have no connection with engineers for BB or any Linux application

And I want to keep this thread civil.

Take care EVERYONE
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

As a former ubuntu user these days I can say that there are just as many (if not more) people on the ubuntu support sites saying not to use bleachbit.

Linux will let you do just a about anything, including stupid things.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

atari800:

i have also no connections what so ever with Bleachbit. I'm using it now and then and never ran into any problem. My point here is, as soon someone has an issue/problem with BB, that person starts a rant about BB and immediately that person will be followed up by many others also ranting about BB. All of this despite the fact that BB has a forum which i only follow as a non-active reader. I just read the posts there.

I fin dit very, very strange and weird that so many people are ranting about their "problems, issues and quarrels" on all Linux and Linux related forums, but none of them ever posted a question on the Bleachbit forum about those problems/issues/quarrels. It's like Andrew (the BB developer) points out on the BB forum:
Second, I've also read that BleachBit is dangerous, but like you, I could not get any specifics, so I suppose it is speculation or rumor instead of fact. If there is any "dangerous" option in BleachBit, it should either be clearly labeled or removed. Anyone is free to report any "dangerous" (unintended) side effects or audit the source code for any reason. There are no secrets.
That says enough i think! But nobody follows up his advice to bring up any kind of example or proof of their issues/problems. It's better to rant about it than to help solving the problem i guess. If your car breaks down, what do you do? Do you start a rant about your car in your neighbourhood pointing out what a bad car it is? Or do you bring your car to the garage to get it fixed? It's that simple!
linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

Hoser Rob wrote:As a former ubuntu user these days I can say that there are just as many (if not more) people on the ubuntu support sites saying not to use bleachbit.

Linux will let you do just a about anything, including stupid things.
I find the Ubuntu users more like Apple users. Ubuntu users think (and starts to believe) that Ubuntu is some kind of a religion. And my experience on Ubuntu forums is that mostly 1 or 2 folks over there are treated like gods and every word they say is the only truth... So yes, i'm not surprised to see your reaction.

But please, inform us about the issues and problems YOU Hoser Rob ran into with Bleachbit. I'm curious..........
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

linuxfreak wrote:I fin dit very, very strange and weird that so many people are ranting about their "problems, issues and quarrels" on all Linux and Linux related forums
I find it strange, that someone finds the experience of "so many" other users strange and does not draw a conclusion out of that.
linuxfreak wrote:Ubuntu users think (and starts to believe) that Ubuntu is some kind of a religion.
BB-users behave, as if their religious symbol gets attacked.
If they feel alone, they grab to personal attacks; here it was not the first time and so far not surprising. New was here, that this was titled as "friendly".
amethyst_igor

Post by amethyst_igor »

C'mon y'all let's all have a group hug
:mrgreen:
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

gilloz wrote:In the Linux Community site, they recommend to uninstall both BleachBit programs because it can harm your computer. So, what is the logic in this? Am I missing something?
Missing. There is various applications that able to harm your computer. For example GParted. 3 clicks and you lost everything, not just harm.
Linux installation itself is potentialy very harmful - one incorrect choice (click) and you totaly lost your existing OS with all data.
But! Truth is that harmful completely depent on those who between the screen and chair.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

Return to “Beginner Questions”