Startup Difficulty

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anthony2010

Startup Difficulty

Post by anthony2010 »

Hi.

For some reason my mint 5 will not boot without having to do it in safety mode and selecting 'fix broken packages' then going to boot normally. If I don't do that, I get to sign in and the screen goes blank and I have to re boot. to go through the safety mode thing.

Ive tried Mint 6 but after install I get the same thing without the option of safety mode straight after install so all I get is a blank screen. Interestingly Ubunto 8.10 does exactly the same on this machine. I cant run either of them.

I figured the output of lspci might be useful so here it is:

anthony@anthony-desktop ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 IDE (rev a2)
00:07.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 6100 nForce 405 (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8338A (rev 10)

Id really like to move up to mint 6 but am unable to for some weird reason!

If anyone could help, I would be most grateful.

ant.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Startup Difficulty

Post by Husse »

You get this error in a shining new install?
Does not make sense to me
The only thing I can think of is if the download of language packs fail
You could try to install and watch the progress. When it says it's downloading language packs there is a skip button - use it, no harm is done except you may have a bad language :)
(and I soon get that here, the keyboard is behaving badly ..)
anthony2010

Post by anthony2010 »

Hey Husse.

I know exactly what you mean, it makes no sense to me either. A reinstall formats the drive to the right format, and builds on that. There is surely no other cause for mint 6 and ubuntu 8.10 to fail other than a hardware problem. I cannot figure either why this install ( mint 5) wont load the desktop either. Why I have to re boot in safe mode... Its all a mystery to me too!

I think whats probably best is to wait for the upgrade from mint 5 and hope that works better than a clean install. I failed to mention earlier that freespire ( Reasonable distro I guess) also installs, allows to sign in and defaults to a blank screen. Weird!

If that fails, I will do the clean install and do as you suggest, not install language packs. Bad language is a way of life round my computer:)

Take care

ant.
anthony2010

Post by anthony2010 »

Husse.

I managed to boot today without difficulty but did get this error message:

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

Does this provide a clue as to why i need to start in safe mode then repair broken packages? If so, is there a cure??

ant.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Occasionally you get that with the live CD
I think a fresh install may be better than to try to chase ghosts in your system
If you have a separate home partition move all hidden files and folders into a separate folder. Your problem could be some setting kept there, but again finding it....

Return to “Beginner Questions”