Cinnamon - random crashes (X-server)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RichardFreeman
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon - random crashes (X-server)

Post by RichardFreeman »

Hi,

I have a small technical problem regarding crashes. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Problem: Cinnamon crashes randomly about 1 - 2 times a month.
Description:
- crashes mostly happen while surfing the web using Firefox
- the screen suddenly goes black, and after one or two seconds the login screen appears
- the previous session is lost without backup.

As first measure (after the latest crash), I have searched for log files for the previous session to determine the cause. I have extracted only warnings and error messages:

Xorg.0.log.old

Code: Select all

[    41.652] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
[    41.652] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/" does not exist.
[    41.652] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
[    41.652] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi" does not exist.
[    41.652] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi" does not exist.
[    41.835] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[    41.835] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
[    41.836] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
glass.log.last

warning t=2016-03-17T15:30:54.056Z Invalid menu: Gio.IOErrorEnum: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownObject: No such object path '/MenuBar'
syslog

Mar 17 19:59:24 x cinnamon-session[2008]: Gdk-WARNING: t+12555,99917s: cinnamon-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.#012
Mar 17 19:59:25 x mdm[1804]: WARNING: mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
I suppose, only the latter is relevant for the crash.

I then searched the web for similar cases.

In viewtopic.php?t=190711 a similar problem was mentioned. Solutions were
- replacing mdm with lightdm (did not work)
- changing the DE from Cinnamon to XFCE (probably did work because the thread owner did not reply any more after switching to XFCE).
Changing to another DE might be a solution for me too, but I really want to make this kind of a last resort. I'm happy with using Cinnamon besides the crashes.

In viewtopic.php?t=172675 the problem was similiar too, but no solution was offered.

I have found several bug reports describing the same problem on Launchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1022338
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/999191

Unfortunately, most of those similar bug reports either date back to 2012 or suggest updating the nvidia driver.

So, I have a couple of questions:
1) Are there other possible log files which could be of interest?
2) Since this crash is not easily reproducable, can I somehow enable more detailed logging to iron out the cause?
3) What is the best way to report bugs like this? If some program crashes, I usually file a bug report in their project's bug tracker. In this case?
4) Other than changing my whole DE, I was thinking about
- trying other graphics drivers (not sure yet if I should mess with this though)
- updating the X window system to the latest version (possible?)
- disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox (since this usually happens when using FF iirc)

Thanks

inxi -Fxz

System:    Host: x Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.6 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   Mobo: Acer model: TravelMate 5742 v: V1.09 Bios: Acer v: V1.09 date: 11/08/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3 M 380 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10109
           clock speeds: max: 2533 MHz 1: 933 MHz 2: 933 MHz 3: 933 MHz 4: 1733 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz, 1920x1200@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-32-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM43225 802.11b/g/n driver: wl bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (71.0% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD3200BPVT size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 73G used: 33G (47%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.94GB used: 0.02GB (1%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 173 Uptime: 5:58 Memory: 1166.9/2681.0MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 5.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28 

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Cinnamon - random crashes (X-server)

Post by Pjotr »

Cinnamon is probably too heavy for that weak Intel video chipset. Make it lighter by turning off all visual effects:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... al-effects
(item 6, right column)

Disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox, is also a good idea.

If this doesn't help enough, consider a switch to the Xfce edition of Mint, preferably by means of a clean installation.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

consider a switch to the Xfce
Not too sure about that. Rosa is the first (Mint) Xfce I've ever encountered that crashes regularly after 1-2hrs inactivity. Tried increasing memory, disabling screensaver, changing PSU, nothing seems to work and the crash is total ie requires hard reset. Any ideas please? Machine seems to run OK with liveCDs of other OSes.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

How-old! wrote:
consider a switch to the Xfce
Not too sure about that. Rosa is the first (Mint) Xfce I've ever encountered that crashes regularly after 1-2hrs inactivity. Tried increasing memory, disabling screensaver, changing PSU, nothing seems to work and the crash is total ie requires hard reset. Any ideas please? Machine seems to run OK with liveCDs of other OSes.
Could you please open a new thread of your own? This one isn't yours.... :)
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

This one isn't yours
Just trying to help - no need to be rude. Not the attitude of the Dutchmen I've met.
Has it occurred to you that there might be some commonality in these crashing observations?
GreyGeek

Post by GreyGeek »

I run an Acer 7839 17" laptop with the same graphics controller. The CPU is an i3 M370 with a max T of 95C.
I noticed that your CPU temp, when you ran ixni was 49C. Was that while your laptop was idling, nothing but. Terminal running? If so, that seems high. Mine idled around 35C. But, when I ran Minecraft it would rise to 50-60. Generally, when it rose above 55C I could count on it spontaneously rebooting. I tested my my RAM and it passed OK. My suspicion then was/is that the thermal paste had partially dried out. I could replace the paste myself, but my hand shake too much for such work. So, I bought a fan to blow directly on the bottom vent port. My idle T dropped to 28-30 T and it's been to 65 T without rebooting.

Recently, I installed a widget to monitor my internet facing IP address. Immediately my desktop began disappearing in parts and pieces, the mouse stopped working and then the desktop crashed, leaving only a black screen that the X-server presents. The logs contained little more than what yours showed. No relavent clues. When I removed the widget and rebooted the login screen wouldn't recognize my login password. That was because I didn't notice that my icon wasn't automatically selected like it normally was.
Once I got passed that the KDE desktop took a loooong time loading and presented several msgs about some config files not being present. Upon examination I noticed that those files were owned by root! Reassigning ownership of those to me and rebooting presented a very stable KDE desktop.
Just some thoughts to consider.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

How-old! wrote:no need to be rude. Not the attitude of the Dutchmen I've met.
Has it occurred to you that there might be some commonality in these crashing observations?
I fail to see what could have struck you as rude in my previous reply.

Now I might also have said: don't hijack someone else's thread but take the trouble to start your own. This one isn't marked "solved" by the original poster and probably concerns different hardware. Hijacking may cause confusion for other people who read this thread.

Return to “Beginner Questions”