Text color

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trippin

Text color

Post by trippin »

Im trying to find the location of the text color in cinnamon. for example say you are in your downloads folder. all the text under your folders, other directories, where it says File Edit View ect.

I have a theme that has blue text and id like to bring that to my current theme.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: Text color

Post by Habitual »

Are you sure you want to risk it after the "clementine incident"?
trippin

Post by trippin »

Habitual wrote:Are you sure you want to risk it after the "clementine incident"?
iv got nothing to lose and everythings backed up
elbullazul

Post by elbullazul »

let's see, you want to edit your system-wide text color, right? (say, nemo, gimp, system settings...)

if you're using a custom theme, back it up and then place a copy in ~/.themes. rename it to a name of your taste.

next, open the gtk-2.0 folder and open the gtkrc archive. Edit every value having "fg" in it (ex. menubar_fg_color, fg_color) + the text_color hex values with your custom ones.

after this, go back to your theme folder and open the gtk-3.0 folder. Then, edit gtk.css (it may be gtk-main.css) also edit every value with "fg" in its name followed by a hex value + the text_color hex with the same custom values as in gtkrc

open your theme tool and choose your custom theme. Text color should change instantly if everything is done well.

I'll be glad to assist you if you wish to customize a little bit more your style.
trippin

Post by trippin »

elbullazul wrote:let's see, you want to edit your system-wide text color, right? (say, nemo, gimp, system settings...)

if you're using a custom theme, back it up and then place a copy in ~/.themes. rename it to a name of your taste.

next, open the gtk-2.0 folder and open the gtkrc archive. Edit every value having "fg" in it (ex. menubar_fg_color, fg_color) + the text_color hex values with your custom ones.

after this, go back to your theme folder and open the gtk-3.0 folder. Then, edit gtk.css (it may be gtk-main.css) also edit every value with "fg" in its name followed by a hex value + the text_color hex with the same custom values as in gtkrc

open your theme tool and choose your custom theme. Text color should change instantly if everything is done well.

I'll be glad to assist you if you wish to customize a little bit more your style.
thanks it worked perfectly :D now all im trying to do is add a glow to my window boarders like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKFR6fnxlKg id also like to learn how to make windows transparent if you know. thanks again :D id been looking forever :D :D
Penn

Post by Penn »

trippin wrote: now all im trying to do is add a glow to my window boarders like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKFR6fnxlKg id also like to learn how to make windows transparent if you know. thanks again :D id been looking forever :D :D
That theme is designed for KDE which can do things gtk can't.

To my understanding neither can be done unless the developers decide to make it possible (I've heard it is the compositor that needs changing so maybe you can find a workaround changing that directly).

In the case of that glow it seems to me it's actually the window shadow. If you find out how to change the shadow of basic windows tell us in this thread since I'm sure others would like to do this, myself included. I could be wrong with shadow because I know it is possible to change the shadows on secondary boxes such as the menu or pop-up boxes in gtk.

If I am wrong about shadows being in compositor then my next guess is it would be in metacity since borders are in there. Those borders may be a workaround to get the glow in a different way (though maybe not as nice which is why I don't do it). If you are using the Mint-X theme it is the metacity-theme-3.xml . You can just change the constant value of "C_border_focused" and the unfocused variant below it to get the color. You can also change the width of the borders by looking where the constant value is used later in the theme (that's a bit more complex so I won't give step by step).

It has been a while since I tried to figure out how to do both the things you want to do, so maybe something has changed.
trippin

Post by trippin »

Penn wrote:
trippin wrote: now all im trying to do is add a glow to my window boarders like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKFR6fnxlKg id also like to learn how to make windows transparent if you know. thanks again :D id been looking forever :D :D

To my understanding neither can be done unless the developers decide to make it possible (I've heard it is the compositor that needs changing so maybe you can find a workaround changing that directly).

In the case of that glow it seems to me it's actually the window shadow. If you find out how to change the shadow of basic windows tell us in this thread since I'm sure others would like to do this, myself included. I could be wrong with shadow because I know it is possible to change the shadows on secondary boxes such as the menu or pop-up boxes in gtk.

If I am wrong about shadows being in compositor then my next guess is it would be in metacity since borders are in there. Those borders may be a workaround to get the glow in a different way (though maybe not as nice which is why I don't do it). If you are using the Mint-X theme it is the metacity-theme-3.xml . You can just change the constant value of "C_border_focused" and the unfocused variant below it to get the color. You can also change the width of the borders by looking where the constant value is used later in the theme (that's a bit more complex so I won't give step by step).

It has been a while since I tried to figure out how to do both the things you want to do, so maybe something has changed.
Thanks for the reply. All I know is what Ive been told by a very helpful member is that we will have to wait untill Mint 18 which will have plasma 5. Then we will be able to have alot better themes. I enjoy cinnamon and wish we had all the cool looking stuff the other desktop environments have.
elbullazul

Post by elbullazul »

trippin wrote:
Penn wrote:

Thanks for the reply. All I know is what Ive been told by a very helpful member is that we will have to wait untill Mint 18 which will have plasma 5. Then we will be able to have alot better themes. I enjoy cinnamon and wish we had all the cool looking stuff the other desktop environments have.
you could try out other decorations such as emerald or compiz, but those are for ubuntu and I have no clue if they even work with cinnamon
Penn

Post by Penn »

My understanding is Emerald is part of Compiz. I know Compiz can do both the things trippin wants to do but I hear it can be buggy on Mint. I know it was when I tried it on 17.1 on one machine.

In the monthly blog post Clem was asked about transparent windows (post 86 http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3017) but I have't seen an answer yet.

If these features aren't included in the Mint base they may not even work in KDE5 when 18 comes out. I know the Tron theme trippin is pointing to is from some time ago, which would be before KDE5 existed. In KDE4 on the 17.x releases don't have translucent themes.

My guess would be sooner or later transparency would be possible for Mint since it can already be used in the form of RGBA in the panel and is used in the terminal (terminal is how I know I personally don't like it for the active window but it would be nice for inactive windows).

As far as changing the shadow goes, this topic is the first time I know of it being discussed, which may not even be relevant to what trippin wants (I just brought it up because it looks like the shadow is where the border glow comes from but it might just be the Metacity borders. It is possible to get that glow by using multiple borders fading from the inner most being solid the the outermost being an alpha value of 0 but this will still leave a shadow outside of that which would be obvious if the edge was on a light colored window or background).
elbullazul

Post by elbullazul »

Penn wrote:My understanding is Emerald is part of Compiz. I know Compiz can do both the things trippin wants to do but I hear it can be buggy on Mint. I know it was when I tried it on 17.1 on one machine.

In the monthly blog post Clem was asked about transparent windows (post 86 http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3017) but I have't seen an answer yet.

If these features aren't included in the Mint base they may not even work in KDE5 when 18 comes out. I know the Tron theme trippin is pointing to is from some time ago, which would be before KDE5 existed. In KDE4 on the 17.x releases don't have translucent themes.

My guess would be sooner or later transparency would be possible for Mint since it can already be used in the form of RGBA in the panel and is used in the terminal (terminal is how I know I personally don't like it for the active window but it would be nice for inactive windows).

As far as changing the shadow goes, this topic is the first time I know of it being discussed, which may not even be relevant to what trippin wants (I just brought it up because it looks like the shadow is where the border glow comes from but it might just be the Metacity borders. It is possible to get that glow by using multiple borders fading from the inner most being solid the the outermost being an alpha value of 0 but this will still leave a shadow outside of that which would be obvious if the edge was on a light colored window or background).
Metacity doesn't handle transparency, if a border is semi-transparent you'll get the theme's BG color and all transparency effect would look very weird

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”