[help] Backup using Mint and a external USB enclosure

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mig_akira

[help] Backup using Mint and a external USB enclosure

Post by mig_akira »

Hello!

I'm using a 120gb HD 2.5" sata in a external USB enclosure. I would like to make backups using this enclosure, but I don't know how to do it in Mint. I heard there is a command line that is the best thing to backup files, because it would only backup modified files. In Windows, there are some softwares to do it. But I don't wanna have to boot into windows just to make a backup.

Does anyone know how can I do it in Mint?

Thanks!!!

PS - I will make a 10gb NTFS partition, just in case I need to use the enclosure with some PC with only windows installed. The rest I will set to Ext3.

Thanks again!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dmenear

Re: [help] Backup using Mint and a external USB enclosure

Post by dmenear »

I'm going to assume you are not having problems mounting the usb drive.

Next, I'd suggest not formatting your backup drive using NTFS and ext3 if you are going to be sharing the drive between Windows and linux. Instead, format it as a DOS partion(s) that can be read by both operating systems. You can do what you like, but that would be the simplest formatting solution. Your mileage may vary depending on your needs.

There are backup programs in the repositories, if you are looking for a program to do this with. I use rsync and chron to do my backups and if you search Google you can find sample scripts for accomplishing this.

Have fun!
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

For the ext3 partition(s), you might want to check out the Backup Strategy on my web site for one approach. No constructive comment on the NTFS backups ... :) .

-DataMan
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

mig_akira wrote:Hello!

I'm using a 120gb HD 2.5" sata in a external USB enclosure. I would like to make backups using this enclosure, but I don't know how to do it in Mint. I heard there is a command line that is the best thing to backup files, because it would only backup modified files. In Windows, there are some softwares to do it. But I don't wanna have to boot into windows just to make a backup.

Does anyone know how can I do it in Mint?

Thanks!!!

PS - I will make a 10gb NTFS partition, just in case I need to use the enclosure with some PC with only windows installed. The rest I will set to Ext3.

Thanks again!
I do all my 'home' (or user-based) type backups using rsync. There is a gui front-end for it called Grsync that is in the repos. It is a very powerful & flexible tool or this purpose. The first time you use it, it copies all the files to the external drive. Thereafter it only copies changes to files, new files and deletes old files. This is all subject to how you set it up. i.e. your command line options or your gui option selections.

It is important to understand what each of the options actually does so that you end up with the backup results you want. In the gui version it has a nice option to simulate the backup before actually doing it - this is really nice for troubleshooting the options. Don't forget to exclude caches and temp thumbnails etc - otherwise you are just backing up junk. Have a read of 'man rsync' and do some Google searching. There is heaps of stuff on the net about it including example scripts.

Once you have it sorted you can create a crontab entry and have the backups done automatically. Mine run every night here at 4am.

Regarding the drive format, I think you need to think about your usage. Personally, I have left Windows far behind so all my external drives are formatted as ext3. If someone from a Windows world needs access, I set them up as a Samba share - but they operate and are maintained as Linux drives first & foremost.

I think there is a version of rsync available in Windows, but you would have to Google it. As I said, I spend VERY little time in that world anymore.

Hope this helps,
Rhodry.
blacknail

Post by blacknail »

Hi,

Personally I use unison, a very simple command line application to make my backups. I have my stuff in a external disk and I backup it to a partition of the laptop. The syntax is as simple as "unison <source folder> <destiny folder>. I use it to replicate entirely my folder (if I delete something in the folder, unison will delete it also in the backup, etc) but I think you can configure it the way you want.

As simple to install as sudo apt-get install unison ;)

Hope it helps,
João

Return to “Software & Applications”