can't see any partitions in gparted or baobab

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mig_akira

can't see any partitions in gparted or baobab

Post by mig_akira »

Hello!

I used to see every partition in my 320gb HD, but now I can't see anything in gparted or baobab. Gparted can only see the sda disk, but the partition table is empty, saying "space not allocated", and the graphic is gray, also saying space not allocated. With Baobab, pretty much the same thing happens.

I also noticed that when I'm booting, there's always a "routine check of disk". Sometimes I allow it to make a full check, but it takes too long, and it happens almost every damn boot =P

What may be happening? I have already used chkdsk in windows, but nothing changed.

THanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
distoaddict

Re: can't see any partitions in gparted or baobab

Post by distoaddict »

i ve had a similar problem with other distros.i ran fdisk from the live cd and came up with this
"The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 4865.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
(e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)"
i was able to correct it by shrinking the end of the partition by about 15 meg using parted magic 3.2
that might help
mig_akira

Post by mig_akira »

Hello friend, thanks for answering!

What was the exact command you used?

THanks again!
distoaddict

Post by distoaddict »

Hi M8
Have a look at this as i think it has a bearing on your problem as far as the checking of your hard drive is concerned.
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-886945.html
I would let the check continue at bootup even though it will likely take a while.
Chkdsk in windows doesn't see a linux partition(afaik):So it's no use in this case.
Re fdisk.
i don't think it works when your using an installed linux
but if you boot up with the live mint disk.open a terminal and type fdisk
it will work.

Return to “Software & Applications”