LM Fluxbox 9 update?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dexl
Level 3
Level 3

LM Fluxbox 9 update?

Post by dexl »

I have a theoretical question. I know LM Fluxbox 9 is already obsolete, no support, etc. If I wanted to install it though and keep it up to date (the base system), would I be able to do that? Say, by pointing the repositories to the latest LTS or something along those lines? How would I go about doing that? Or is that a lost cause altogether?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20 MATE
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: LM Fluxbox 9 update?

Post by Pierre »

it's a lost cause ..
& you'd break something, if you did force an update to any later repo's.

I've still got a Mint Mate v9 laptop,
and the only thing that gets any update is FireFox - manually updated.

there is also a Mint Mate v5 laptop, as well & it's FF there, as well.

why so old ? coz the hardware is also ancient
& would like to keep the older system anyway.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

May be an idea to install, say Xfce 13 or 17, then installing Fluxbox from the Package Manager (Synaptic). (don't forget to also check for Recommended files & libraries, with a right-click on the fluxbox pkg)
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Installing any current Mint OS, then adding fluxbox is easy and works fine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

LM 9 Fluxbox edition was one of my all time Mint favorites :D
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

dexl wrote:If I wanted to install it though and keep it up to date (the base system), would I be able to do that?
no, No, and NO
dexl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dexl »

Flemur wrote:Installing any current Mint OS, then adding fluxbox is easy and works fine.
I did try installing fluxbox but I'm on a netbook (eee pc) and it still seems to be sluggish with LM MATE 17.3 base. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't adding fluxbox to LM Mate 17.3 only a stopgap measure? Aren't some of the MATE processes running in the background with fluxbox?

I'm trying to figure out whether getting a core LM (or Ubuntu) with no DE other than fluxbox would improve performance?
Linux Mint 20 MATE
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Code: Select all

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't adding fluxbox to LM Mate 17.3 only a stopgap measure? Aren't some of the MATE processes running in the background with fluxbox? 
I dunno. I use xfce base and for me there are no "*fce*" processes running (except a terminal); I shut off some things via "bum" and/or "startup manager" (whatever it's called). I've never used Mate.

I had fluxbox installed in Arch and Debian as the only desktop/window-manager and performance and "free -m" were almost exactly the same as installing fluxbox on top of Mint Xfce - and the latter was a lot easier (there are extra pieces to add for detecting USB and some other stuff which an Xfce or maybe a Mate install provide; in Mint I still needed to add "xsettingsd" to get all the fonts to look right). A Mint-Fluxbox edition would be nice, though. FWIW I'm on a pretty low-end desktop machine and menus, switching desktops (the #1 to #4 kind of desktop) and such react instantaneously even without nvidia drivers.
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

Yeh, Mint Fluxbox or even Openbox would be dandy. I think the configuring is much easier on FB, but I'll use either in a heartbeat over any other DE if I can get them natively built in a distro (that is, not having to install them myself after the fact). They just make my computing life a whole lot simpler and faster. I'm using xfce, and it works okay, no complaints. I've also used mate, no complaints either. But for an overall streamlined, uncluttered desktop, quicker access to the programs I need, and a super-fast o.s. I like the 'boxes best.
dexl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dexl »

OK, I'm resurrecting this month-old thread because I have yet another super crazy idea... (I'm trying to learn something here, don't get nervous! ;) )

What if after installing the base system [is there such a thing as linux mint mini.iso just as there is the ubuntu mini.iso?] and adding fluxbox on top of that, I wanted to style it to look and behave in the same way as LM FB9? Is that doable in less than a century? ;) I was thinking of copying over some of the settings, adding tint2 and so on. Am I on the right track?
Linux Mint 20 MATE
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

What if after installing the base system [is there such a thing as linux mint mini.iso just as there is the ubuntu mini.iso?]
I don't think so.
and adding fluxbox on top of that, I wanted to style it to look and behave in the same way as LM FB9? Is that doable in less than a century?
Copy over your LM9 ~/.fluxbox directory, including the styles. You'll probably have to tweak some stuff.
You may have to manually install "xsettingsd", start it in "~/.fluxbox/startup" and make a "~/.xsettingsd" file (font settings, icon theme, etc).

Edit: you probably have a ~/.xsettingsd file in the LM FB9 install - copy that and change as needed.
dexl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dexl »

Thanks, I'll keep this thread updated on my progress.
Linux Mint 20 MATE
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

I wasn't sure where/whether to make this post at least here but it seems preferable to sending an unsolicited PM.

If Pierre is reading, could I ask how Mint 9 with manually updated Firefox works as referred to above? For me, Ubuntu 10.04, Mint 9 and Debian 6 were a peak, performance- and appearance-wise, and I'd like to have kept an install on at least my Thinkpad. But newer versions of Firefox weren't behaving at least the way I did it, it kept crashing - I'd get the tarball from Mozilla and extract it in /opt/ and then create a keyboard shortcut to it. I think I ascertained also that addons weren't at fault. Did I miss something?

Thanks.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

tpprynn wrote:I wasn't sure where/whether to make this post at least here but it seems preferable to sending an unsolicited PM.

If Pierre is reading, could I ask how Mint 9 with manually updated Firefox works as referred to above? For me, Ubuntu 10.04, Mint 9 and Debian 6 were a peak, performance- and appearance-wise, and I'd like to have kept an install on at least my Thinkpad. But newer versions of Firefox weren't behaving at least the way I did it, it kept crashing - I'd get the tarball from Mozilla and extract it in /opt/ and then create a keyboard shortcut to it. I think I ascertained also that addons weren't at fault. Did I miss something?

Thanks.
Using an up to date browser with a release that old is not going to solve the security nightmare it represents.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”