tinker123
Level 2
Level 2

Desktop Icon For Totem: Where is it?

Post by tinker123 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:02 am

Mint 17 Qiana
Cinnamon

Hi,

I have a desktop icon for an *.mp4 on my desktop. It used to have an icon of an orange strip of film. Then one day that vanished for unexplained reasons and became blank.

When I clicked on properties and the generic picture of an icon the dialog box opened up into my home directory instead of taking me someplace where I could find icons.

How can I fix that?

I eventually found my icon directory by Googling:

/usr/share/icons

I am having trouble finding that strip of film icon for my desktop *.mp4 file. Can anyone tell me the path?

Thanks

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Desktop Icon For Totem: Where is it?

Post by coffee412 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:57 am

Assuming using the mate desktop, Find Totem in the menu's and right click and choose "Add to desktop". Then delete the other launcher.

If your on cinnamon then I dont know if its any different. I do not use it.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp * Samba AD * Mint 18.1 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Desktop Icon For Totem: Where is it?

Post by Penn » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:09 pm

The usual file path for the totem player icon is /usr/share/icons/(theme_name)/apps/Z/totem.png (sometimes it might be svg) where Z is the pixel size folder (such as 16, 24, 32 etc) but sometimes it is /(theme name)/ZxZ/apps. If you used the settings manager to install a theme it would be in ~(your home)/.icons/(same as above)

I can't recall ever seeing an orange film strip icon in the standard icon themes in Cinnamon (not just for totem, no where in the standard icon sets). This leads me to think you aren't using a standard icon theme or you have mp4's associated to a different app which I am not familiar with. What icon theme are you using? Have you changed it? Have tried to change to a different icon theme (pause long enough for it to take effect) then change back? Have you had an update for totem or an icon pack lately?

Did you at some point in time change the file association icon at some time? I'm guessing from what you have said you know how to do that but in case, in Cinnamon you right click any mp4, choose properties, click on the icon and follow the path to the icon you want to use.

I know I am giving more questions than possible answers but maybe those questions will help.

Return to “Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper”