Linux Graphics Users Interview

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
McLovin

Linux Graphics Users Interview

Post by McLovin »

Ok, I have been contacted by one of the founders of Linux Graphics Users Forum, they do an article every month featuring the art team of a selected Linux distro, and they want to feature LinuxMint's Art-Team for December, We have about 4-5 days to get this info in, and I would like input from all of the art-team, and Mint community in general, as this team is a community project. I have posted some of the questions that I believe need input from as many ppl as possible. So please, help me, and the Art-Team community out and post here with you input on these questions.
I am going to give my personal answers here as an example of what we need for this.

Q -- What drew you to your chosen distro?
Ease of use, size and helpfulness of the community, and of course, the looks, I liked the look and feel of Mint the first time I used it. I also like the fact that when I decided to try it out, it just worded, right out of the gate, codecs, video drivers, wireless, it all worked. Sure there was some tinkering I had to do to get things just the way I wanted, but that's true with anything, not just Linux, or computers in general.

Q -- Give us some history on each of the Linux Mint art team members. Who are they and how long have they been involved?
I personally have been involved in the LinuxMint forums, trying to help people when I could, since Aug. of '07, (Mint 2.2, Bianca), and in the Art-Team from the beginning of it. The whole thing got started during the development of Mint 5, Elyssa. There were alot of us making and posting wallpapers, and other art-work for Mint, and I had seen some art-teams for other distros, Fedora, and Ubuntu, for starters, and asked Clem, (the creator, and head developer of LinuxMint), if there was an official LinuxMint Art-Team, or if there was any interest in creating one. As it turned out, there had been thoughts of an Art-Team, but there didn't seem to be enough interest, or resources for maintaining one, (like most Linux distros, Mint is completely maintained by volunteers). As a result of this forum post/question, alot of other forum members, and members of the development staff, started gaining interest in the idea of having an Art-Team. I think alot of us believed that it would help to get the Mint name out, and to help raise LinuxMint to a higher level, hopefully getting up to that of Ubuntu, or even Fedora. So that gave birth to the LinuxMint Art-Team, and for my interest, and initiative, was made the, (for lack of a better term), director. The team itself is composed of many many members, it's not so much of a closed team, as a part of the community, where anyone, can post art-work, though there are a few key members, that do contribute tons of art-work. The most active members are......................

Q -- Does anyone on your team have formal training in graphic art? If so, what kind of training and where did they study?
I personally do not, I just enjoy creating new art.

Q -- If not, what got them started using graphics software or what influenced them to get involved?
I got started with graphics software when I was a kid, I think I was about 6 or 7 years old, using an Apple IIe, creating those printouts out of a bunch of X's. and have just been going on and on from there.

Q -- What are their favorite Linux graphics software programs?
I personally use Gimp the most, but also use Inkscape a little, as well as Xara Xtreme.

Q -- Any thoughts on ease of use or what you'd like to see added or changed in Linux graphics software?
I would really like to see a native Photoshop for Linux, Gimp is really a great piece of software, but if you're like me, and are used to Photoshop, the learning curve is kind of odd, not really steep, but the menus, and tools, are all different, and the layer structure works a little different.

Q -- As operating systems evolve so does their artwork. What direction or development would you like to see with your work pertaining to the future of your Linux Mint?
I would like to my own personal work improve, like most artists, and just evolve with Mint, bring the quality to a professional level, and hopefully, as I said earlier, reach a level to that of Fedora.

Q -- What other Linux distros have you done work for? Any independent Linux groups you've contributed artwork to?
I have done wallpapers for a couple of other distros, nothing official though.

Q -- There are a lot of new distros popping up, seemingly every day. Any advice you can give them on the graphics art side of it?
Just keep at it, keep playing, experimenting, and working at it. Make what you like, ask others that you respect what they think, and take what they say as help, don't get insulted if someone doesn't like what you made. I remember something that someone said on the forums once about default themes, that art-work is very subjective, you are trying to make something to please everyone, which is impossible. So when you are working on your art, just do what you like, and remember that it isn't going to be to everyone's liking.

Here are the questions without my answers so you copy and paste them, and give your answers.

Q -- Give us some history on each of the Linux Mint art team members. Who are they and how long have they been involved?

Q -- Does anyone on your team have formal training in graphic art? If so, what kind of training and where did they study?

Q -- If not, what got them started using graphics software or what influenced them to get involved?

Q -- Any thoughts on ease of use or what you'd like to see added or changed in Linux graphics software?

Q -- As operating systems evolve so does their artwork. What direction or development would you like to see with your work pertaining to the future of your Linux Mint?

Q -- What other Linux distros have you done work for? Any independent Linux groups you've contributed artwork to?

Q -- There are a lot of new distros popping up, seemingly every day. Any advice you can give them on the graphics art side of it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
McLovin

Re: Linux Graphics Users Interview

Post by McLovin »

Come on guys, I only have a couple of days left to get input from you all. If you want to have your input on the interview, please post.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

A -- Speed, simplicity and an active comunity, with the main developer being very active! - Keep it up Clem!

A -- So, I am "Zwopper" - I've been doing art for Linux Mint for about a year now(December 2007).
I like to give a little back to this wonderful distro in any way that I can, be it artwork or translation or the occational tip in the forum.

A -- No graphic training what so ever.

A -- I've been creating music for well over 30 years, and for some reasons I can't seem to find time for that as of late,
so about two years from now I discovered Gimp, and my life has never been the same since..

A -- Gimp, XaoS, Fyre and whatever gets in my way...

A -- A single window layout for Gimp would be nice.

A -- I would like to improve my skills and produce better and better artwork, hopefully to the point where my art helps Linux Mint to reach more people.

A -- I am also active in the Zenwalk Art-Team.

A -- Invite as many people as possible, set guidelines, and have fun.
One distro that I personally will follow with great interest graphic-wise is SliTaz, they've got some good things going for them!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Windows drove me to her.

I was involved after the release of Bianca.

Have a desktop publishing background and some graphic arts training. Other then that just artistically inclined and web savy.

Inkscape! Love me that ink. It's an excellent Illustrator alternative.

Gimp still needs an overhaul, it's a damn great app, but it can be so much better. Inkscape, a bump in rendering speed would be great on super large files. Also it would be great to see commercial design apps be ported over to linux. Also I'd like to see better Web IDEs. (not that it's art related)

I'm not into web 2.0 design fads being integrated into OS design treatments. I'd love for it to stay elegant and clean. The more cluttered, the messier things will look. But I am biased, I'm into a simplified look.

Always been Minty fresh!

Art is subjective. Do what you love and you will find your niche.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

I've been using Linux in many flavours for the last 12 years or so but about 2 years ago I found myself in a complete OS X environment at work and lost touch with Linux a bit. When my work situation changed I came looking for a new Linux distro. I was tired with the endless cycle of breaking, fiddling and fixing things things with distros of the past. I gave Ubuntu a run for a month or to and was quite impressed with how much it had improved but eventually Mint grabbed my attention. For an old linux hand who just wants a system that works and is very reliable, Mint is a dream. Clem and his team really do a great job with each release.

I'm a relative new kid on the block in regards to Mint, only being involved since July of this year. I've only recently become more involved with Art Team activities and organise our regular Wallpaper of the Month entries and poll.

I have no formal training, I just enjoy creating things.

I have always enjoyed the idea of creating a look for my desktop that is unique and no one else has thought of. Sharing it later on and having people enjoy it is a bonus.

I use Gimp and Inkscape.

I've never been a photoshop or illustrator user so Gimp and Inkscape suit me just fine. They do all I need and more.

I mainly contribute for people to enjoy the efforts we put together. Whether anything official comes of that is for Clem to decide. I'd like to see the team and community remain relaxed, encourage each other and enjoy what we do.

I've contributed here and there to various distros over the years. A wallpaper here, a theme or icon there.

Harness and encourage the enthusiasm of the community. Relax and enjoy what you do :)
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

I was originally drawn to Mint simply because it was something new. I stuck with Mint because it has taken Ubuntu, and added some very refined and helpful utilities. The community is a big part of what has kept me there.

I've been creating wallpapers for about six months, and I can't remember what drove me to start down this crazy road.

No formal training here, just a desire to create art that others can enjoy.

I've always been interested in art, and digital art was an accessible means to an end. I'm not sure why I started creating art for Mint, but the community of artists is very supportive and more than willing to help out newcomers.

I started out using Gimp, but lately I have been doing most of my work with Inkscape.

A new name for Gimp. Otherwise a linux version of Photoshop, although I have never used Photoshop. There are many great tutorials out there that will teach a person the basics up to advanced techniques, so ease of use is not too much of an issue in my opinion.

I personally would like to expand my work into other areas other than just wallpapers.

I've done a few wallpapers for Zenwalk at the encouragement of Zwopper, but I haven't done anything there lately.

If you can get a community of artists such as we have here at Mint, give them a direction, a logo, and let them run free. The art will ensue.
Check out my other wallpapers Deviantart
Follow me at identica or that other one
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

Linux Mint's functionality, ease-of-use and elegance.

I first got involved with the Linux Mint art team in March 2008.

I don't have any formal training in graphic art.

Photography has been a hobby of mine for five or six years, and that's what got me started using Photoshop. I originally got involved creating Linux Mint wallpapers purely because there weren't any available for my monitor's resolution... then I got hooked.

GIMP and Inkscape.

The GIMP interface has improved a lot recently, but it still has a long way to go before it's nears perfection.

Q -- As operating systems evolve so does their artwork. What direction or development would you like to see with your work pertaining to the future of Linux Mint?
I only see good things in the future for Linux Mint. As the distribution continues to improve, so must the art team so we can keep Linux Mint looking as good as it deserves to.

None.

Keep it simple, clean and elegant.
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

I'm not an art team member but I read all the replies as well as the article on the board and just wanted to say thank you to all of the people who have helped create a wonderfully creative community where ideas can be shared, challenged, and expanded :)
hamburg113

Post by hamburg113 »

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Art interview questions

Best regards.

Return to “Your Artwork”