Lost networking to windows after Samba updates [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dan0

Lost networking to windows after Samba updates [SOLVED]

Post by dan0 »

Lost networking to windows after Samba updates 4-18-2016
I'm running Mint 17.3 rosa 32bit
kernel 3.13.024
mate 1.12.0
I'm still a newbie even after 2 years of daily linux use so go easy.
I use my linux box to download multimedia content and then transfer it over my home network
to my media server which is a dell zino running windows 7 Media Center.
yesterday (4-18-16) everything worked fine.
When I finished with my transfers Mint had updates available so I let it install them.
According to the update manager history at least 8 updates were to Samba and Samba client.
Today (4-19-16) I cannot connect to my windows box.
normally I can connect using

Code: Select all

smb://192.168.2.101/users/Public/Videos
or

smb://mdr-pc/users/Public/Videos
Today I get a pop up box stating
"password required for share users on mdr pc"
I have the option to connect anonymously
or as a specific user
neither of which work

If I goto network in file manager
it shows windows network but when you click on it I get
"unable to mount location"

Is it possible roll back those samba updates?

The windows box Does NOT take automatic updates and Does NOT have a password.

Thanks for any help or suggestions ( I may not be able to respond until in the AM)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
corkncat
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Lost networking to windows after Samba updates 4-18-2016

Post by corkncat »

I also have the problem. I have two pc's running 17.3 and two pc's running Windows 7. I updated samba on both Linux boxes and now samba won't start on either of them and the Windows pc's no longer detect them on my network.
x0rsw1tch

Post by x0rsw1tch »

I have the same problem as well actually. This issue is preventing smbd/nmdb from starting properly. No logs are being generated either

If you need your samba server running until the problem is fixed, run these as root, this worked for me... After doing that, my shares magically reappeared.

smbd -D
nmdb -D
Obviously this is not a permanent solution, but it works for now.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

@dan0, Does a manual mount work:

[1] Create a mount point under /media:

sudo mkdir /media/PubVideos
[2] Then manually mount the share:

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.2.101/users/Public/Videos /media/PubVideos -o guest
Or if credentials are required:

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.2.101/users/Public/Videos /media/PubVideos -o username=XXX,password=YYY
To unmount:

sudo umount /media/PubVideos
If this is successful we can automate this so you don't have to go to a terminal each time.

BTW, there a literally hundreds of posts in many Linux forums as well as samba / ubuntu bug reports covering many aspects of the mess that samba made with this update.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
dan0

Post by dan0 »

thanks
so far no luck
I still get a login box
more googling leads be to believe there is no easy way to roll back the updates
if it's broken for lots of people maybe it will be fixed soon
in the mean time I'll keep experimenting

thanks again for the suggestions

dan0
mintchoc

Post by mintchoc »

I have the same issue that started when I ran the updates for my Lenovo laptop, Linux Mint 17.3 64 bit, Kernel 3.19.0-32. I can no longer connect to my Windows 7 box.

However, on a Dell Micro desktop, I am running the same linux setup; I haven't done any updates recently and it's still finding my Windows Share alright. Looks like I'm going to have to find a type of restore point application in the future, because this is really disruptive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - mintchoc
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

@ dan0

Do you know if this is the (Samba) update that is giving the trouble?
All the Samba (and Winbind) modules labeled:

New version: 2:4.3.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.14.04.2

I have not yet installed this and I will hold off if it is the "bad" update. I would have a VERY difficult time if my Windows and Mint computers did not talk to each other. Let's hope that the devs get the problem fixed quickly.

Thank you. Sorry this bit you, but you (this thread) may be saving a lot of trouble for a lot of people.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

dan0 wrote:thanks
so far no luck
I still get a login box
I don't know what that means.

What I told you to do doesn't generate a login box. There's no way for the terminal command to generate any kind of dialogue box. You may have received an error message in the terminal but there is no login box. If you did get an error message in the terminal please post it.

After you run something like this:
sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.2.101/users/Public/Videos /media/PubVideos -o guest
If there are no error messages open Nemo and go to /media/PubVideos to see if it contains your share.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
dan0

Post by dan0 »

tovian wrote:@ dan0

Do you know if this is the (Samba) update that is giving the trouble?
All the Samba (and Winbind) modules labeled:

New version: 2:4.3.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.14.04.2

Thank you. Sorry this bit you, but you (this thread) may be saving a lot of trouble for a lot of people.
Yes, thats the "new" version I have
my old version was 2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2.14.04.13
dan0

Post by dan0 »

altair4 wrote:

What I told you to do doesn't generate a login box. There's no way for the terminal command to generate any kind of dialogue box. You may have received an error message in the terminal but there is no login box. If you did get an error message in the terminal please post it.

If there are no error messages open Nemo and go to /media/PubVideos to see if it contains your share.
you are correct, I received no dialog box from terminal
what i meant was when i went to caja and tried to access my windows box I received the credentials pop up box
I tried your method again today and lo and behold i can access my windows box
my old bookmarks don’t work, but i can live with it
Thanks
Vilis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vilis »

I also have this same identical problem. Thanks for identifying it for me, as I was starting to mess around trying to fix the problem, and in the process, compounding my problem. I am sure many are waking up to this, and making things worse for themselves.

I hope somebody reported this problem to Ubuntu. How can we know when this problem is fixed? I do not want to do any Linux Mint updates until I know that this problem is fixed. Personally, I can work around this problem, but this has stopped me from accepting any more updates on my similar computer.

Thanks
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

@ dan0
Thanks for the confirmation.

Vilis wrote:I hope somebody reported this problem to Ubuntu. How can we know when this problem is fixed? I do not want to do any Linux Mint updates until I know that this problem is fixed.
I feel the same way. Should a MINT Admin do something to block this update in the repos - or is there some other way the entire MINT community can be protected from this until it's fixed?
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 »

Yeah, this is driving me batty. Every time a devise a workaround if I reboot it doesn't work any more. I can't believe it's been going on this long.
ASRock H470M-ITX/ac Home Build on Linux Mint Cinnamon!
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop, HP6300 SFF Desktop, Intel NUC NUC7CJYH Mini All on Linux Mint XFCE!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

There are currently 16 bugs reported about Samba update to version 4.3.8 causing all kinds of problems like you describe in this topic. See the list here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... eprints=on. I haven't read all the bugs but if you have a launchpad account (or register one) you can follow the bugs that sound like your issues or report "me too" to increase the bug heat. BTW, the Samba packages come from Ubuntu package base.

The Samba upgrade was to fix USN-2950-1: Samba vulnerabilities. Something in that upgrade broke all this functionality.

A workaround would be to downgrade to an earlier version. You'd need to downgrade at least all of these packages:
  • libsmbclient
    libwbclient0
    python-samba
    samba
    samba-common
    samba-common-bin
    samba-dsdb-modules
    samba-libs
    samba-vfs-modules
    smbclient
    libldb1
    python-ldb
Possibly you can find earlier versions of these in your /var/cache/apt/archives/ directory, and you can install them from there with dpkg. This will be a lot of puzzle work though.

As an alternative I also found an earlier version in the repositories, 4.1.6. That is quite a bit older and would be missing fixes for earlier Samba vulnerabilities but this is easier to install. You can install the lot with this single command:

sudo aptitude install samba-libs=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 libsmbclient=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 libwbclient0=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 python-samba=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-common=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-common-bin=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-dsdb-modules=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 samba-vfs-modules=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 smbclient=2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2 libldb1=1:1.1.16-1 python-ldb=1:1.1.16-1
BTW, apt and apt-get are both too stupid to handle this downgrade correctly. Use aptitude for downgrading.

Another workaround as reported on the Ubuntu forums post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st13474661 and explained by altair4 here in this topic is to temporarily use CIFS. I use neither Samba nor CIFS so can't comment on which workaround would be better.
Vilis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vilis »

Thanks, Xenopeek. Your fix of automatically rolling back this Samba update to an earlier version worked for me. It was fast and easy. Now I can get back to work while waiting for the experts to fix this. I appreciate this forum.
Vilis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vilis »

PS: After applying Xenopeek's excellent, fast, and easy COPY AND PASTE INTO TERMINAL fix (I think most will prefer this fix above using CIFS, his second suggestion), for curiosity, I took a look at my Update Manager, and found that not only did it offer again the offending Samba update 2:4.3.8+Oubuntu0.14.04.1, but it also offered

ldb
Python bindings for LDB

I doubted that this could do any harm, but knowing that I could reapply Xenopeek's fix again if I was wrong, I allowed the Update Manager to install ldb.

THIS WAS A BIG MISTAKE, BECAUSE ldb Python bindings for LDB CONTAINED SEVERAL SAMBA PACKAGES, WHICH AGAIN CORRUPTED MY SAMBA BACK TO WHERE IT WAS BEFORE FIXING IT WITH XENOPEEK'S FIX.

]So I copied and pasted Xenopeek's fix once again into my terminal, and ran it. This restored my Samba functionality again.

Lesson: Update Manager is offering not one, but two offensive packages, either one of which will wreck your working Samba setup, at least partly or entirely blocking your access to your local network Microsoft Windows shares: These packages are the security updates

ldb
Python bindings for LDB new version 1:1.1.24-0ubuntu0.14.04.1

samba
Shared library for communication with SMB/CIFS servers new version 2:4.3.8+dfsg-0ubuntu0.14.04.2

Do not install either of these two security updates offered by Update Manager
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

dan0 wrote:
altair4 wrote:

you are correct, I received no dialog box from terminal
what i meant was when i went to caja and tried to access my windows box I received the credentials pop up box
I tried your method again today and lo and behold i can access my windows box
my old bookmarks don’t work, but i can live with it
Thanks
Great. Now to avoid having to do this on every boot you can do the following:

** If you mounted it through the terminal unmount it:

sudo umount /media/PubVideos
** Then edit fstab:

gksu pluma /etc/fstab
** And add the following line to the bottom of it:

//192.168.2.101/users/Public/Videos /media/PubVideos cifs guest,noauto,user 0 0
The way this will work is that when you open caja you will see a link on the side panel pointing to PubVideos and when selected it will automatically mount your share to that mount point and display it's contents.

When you want to unmount the share just right click the link in caja and choose Unmount. No more terminal
mintchoc

Post by mintchoc »

I tried xenopeek's fix, but alas, perhaps the rollback to the older settings didn't quite fit my (Mint 17.3) configuration; the update reappeared, but several attempts to connect to my Windows 7 box failed, although I can reach it with two other Linux machines (that I didn't update), and a Mac. Thanks anyway. I'll keep my fingers crossed for another fix coming down the pike. - mintchoc
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Since this has become a bifurcated .. or maybe even a trifurcated(?) ... thread I don't know which method you are using to mount the Windows share. Through the file manager or through a cifs mount.
mintchoc

Post by mintchoc »

altair4 wrote:Since this has become a bifurcated .. or maybe even a trifurcated(?) ... thread I don't know which method you are using to mount the Windows share. Through the file manager or through a cifs mount.
As for me, when I don't use the previously established bookmark--and in this instance I'm not--I use this at home:

File > Connect to Server...
Server: nameOfMyPC
Type: Windows share
Share: ShareNameEstablishedInWindowsBox
Domain name: WorkgroupNameEstablishedInWindowsBox
User: guest [as set up in Windows]
Password: [none]

This method ALWAYS works with my two other Linux boxes, but I usually only need the bookmark I have already establish.

my smb.conf file also has the lines:

workgroup = WorkgroupNameEstablishedInWindowsBox
and I added this line underneath:

name resolve order = bcast host
That's all I've known about connecting to date, after having done a wee bit of research when I first started using the windows 7 box as a server.

Thanks, mintchoc

Return to “Networking”