Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus has been released!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus has been released!

Post by capivara »

I'm now in the process of trying Ubuntu MATE, which is my favorite Ubuntu flavor at this time. This distro is missing in your list, Pjotr! 8)

https://ubuntu-mate.org/xenial/

Installation is not as flawless as we Mint fans are used to, but overall it's not too bad. Language packs other than English aren't installed completely, you can't fine tune your keyboard layout (US Int. with dead keys here in NL). Blueman crashes, complaining about outdated packages -- which indicates that ticking the box 'download updates during installation' doesn't work, or only partly.

atp-get update + apt-get upgrade fixes about everything. The bluetooth manager might still crash later on (it did under Ubuntu MATE 15.10), but removing blueman will fix that too. My desktop doesn't have Bluetooth anyway.

Hans
All my computers are in Mint condition.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

Let's be fair to (K)ubuntu here. It's supposed to be a lightweight distro compared to Mint and not loaded with masses of software. Until quite recently Kubuntu was installed on a single CD. But was doomed as a venture and they have had to go DVD but they held out for a good long iime.
Kubuntu is supposed to be a blank sheet you install software on. Mint is greaed more to be - install and go.

I don't mind that.

Installed on my aged single core atom backup machine and install was flawless.
But so tired after massive (and ongoing) overtime that nothing more as yet.

Gotta sleep.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

You should read this before you move to 16.04 . .

Ubuntu 16.04 has potentially serious privacy flaw !
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

I did a quick test on the live CD and Wine would not install because of unavailable dependencies. Has anyone else tried to install Wine? I hope this is fixed for LM 18 because I have a couple of essential legacy Win32 programs.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Do you have a nvidia-card and the proprietary nvidia driver installed? Has the problem something to do with any libopencl package?
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

I did an install of Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on a desktop I had sitting around doing nothing and it installed perfectly.
Everything I did ran great not one problem until I went to shutdown the desktop and it went through the shutdown routine but then just stayed there.

So there is a minor first problem I experienced but it is only a few days out.
I figure as with any new release there are always some problems that will have to be addressed.

I guess that is why the wise ones suggest that one waits awhile before jumping into a new release as it will have some issues.
I am a patient person so I can wait until the fixes become available and besides my Linux Mint 17.1 is good until April 2019 so what's the rush.

The Old Timer
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I had installed Ubuntu 16.04 yesterday in a virtual machine and have played with it a little bit. My impression so far: I am not at least impressed. To say it mildly. I could also say, that - with Mint experience in head - I feel, as I got a software from 10 years back, partly crippled. And I do not mean Unity in this place; discussions about Unity are several years old and I do not want to start a new one.

Examples:
File manager: No menu, no dual pane, no bookmarks (or so good hidden, that I didn't find them)), no folder dependent display of the content and most likely more missing. The built-in help says, that there is a preview function by hitting the space-bar (similar as we know it from Nemo), but I can press the space-bar as often as I want, nothing happens.
The calendar (I asked about some posts above): A bad joke. It includes a birthday-calendar, which is write-protected, most likely because it uses a different source for the entries. But what source? No hint. Accommodation of the calendar: Near to not existent.
Synaptic: has to be installed by the user. Support time is only 3 years, one dependent library only 9 months (the not so Long TS problem). No filter bar, only the far more circumstantial to use search function.
Strange reaction: VLC is not installed by default; I knew this and wanted to see, what happens, if I enter VLC in the dash: Result: LibreOffice Calc got launched. I had expected, that Ubuntu had told me, that vlc is not present. But this is the same, as if I would choose in Wikipedia random article, but with the difference, that I get in Wikipedia something surprising, because I do expect nothing. From an OS I expect, that it does, what I want and not surprises my with its own decisions.
Performance: I have this VM on the same host, which runs all my LM-Cinnamon guests, so I expected the same performance. But this was a nice wish. The reaction of Ubuntu is slow as a snail. Note: This is (except the installation of synaptic and the needed guest additions for VB) a pure installation, no software added, changed or removed, just Ubuntu out of the box.
My personal hobby: astronomy. I use 2 Linux-programs for this: Stellarium and Celestia. Positive: Stellarium gets provided (at least at now) with the latest version. Negative: Celestia has been removed. (Luckily there is a Windows-version which works in Mint via Wine better than the Linux-version, although both are on the identical version state.) But for heaven's sake: Why did they leave the package celestia-common-nonfree in the repository, which has alone no meaning at all, fulfills no dependency for anything else and does nothing than occupying 10 MB space?

The list could easily get extended. Example: burning software. There is no burning software pre-installed, because Ubuntu says, that there are many computers without such a hardware (but they neglected the fact, that there are still many computers with such a hardware) and that the until now pre-installed Brasero is since long no more developed (something what I tell in the forum again and again). If the user wants a burning software and looks into the software center, he will find in the probably matching categories nothing. Only if the user comes to the idea to enter in the search bar the name of the software (a newbie will most likely not be able to do that, because he doesn't know the name) or the word burning he gets results. Most likely this problem will also be there for other software. Mh, if I want to play a hide-and seek game, I do this with my grand-children or with my dog or I play a memory game.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Hey Cosmo,

According to this link Ubuntu is supported for 5 years. All other versions are supported for 3 years.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes

I personally set up and install what is needed for my computer usage needs.
Myself I use Ubuntu and Linux Mint. I prefer the Mate versions of both over the standard versions.

For my minimal needs any Linux will work. Web surfing / Video streaming / Burning a few DVDs so I don't need much.
I will give it another look after some things get worked out as what I use now both are still supported until April 2019.

I am still very new to Linux and have a lot to learn so I don't really know what to expect on new Linux releases as you guys who have been doing this for many years and have been through several new releases.

I did expect to have some problems which although were minor do exist.
I will give it some time and then make a decision.
For now what I have is great and does everything I need.

The Old Timer
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The Old Timer wrote:According to this link Ubuntu is supported for 5 years.
That is not the point. Please follow my link to the other thread.
The point is in short, that the time for support of the LTS-release is at max(!) 5 years, but this is only true for packages, which come fro the main repository of Ubuntu. But there are also packages, which come from the universe repository; in a default installation it is only a minority (but they do exist, as everybody can easily check by himself as explained in the other thread); at the moment you add additional software - and I mean in this context only from the official repositories - they will most likely come from the universe (or multiverse) repository and than the support time is 3 years or in some cases only 9 months.

It was a great surprise for me, when I came today across this information. I leave it open, if Ubuntu has hidden some information in the "small print" or what happened here.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Hey Cosmo,

I think I understand what you are saying it is about the additional software that we may add from non main repositories which should have also been updated with the new release is that correct.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

No the packages from the main repository is not the problem; they are indeed supported for 5 years. But Open synaptic and select the sources filter (on the bottom left the third filter from top) and select e.g. universe or multiverse and see, what packages you have installed from there - partially installed by default. They give the problem.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Hey Cosmo,

I have that with the Ubuntu Mate 14.04 I'm using now.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The LTS-problem is not specific for 16.04, but for all LTS releases. The (German, sorry) article I linked names for example unsolved leaks in VLC. Programs like Gimp, Audacity get only 9 months support (and that means no updates and fixes since January 2015). As I found also Synaptic has only 3 years support and a library for synaptic again only 9 months.

If I read this thread I am (since today) starting to wonder, if I shall be happy or be sad, because with every additional user of an Ubuntu-based system those systems and the existing vulnerabilities get more interesting for potential attackers. It is a really difficult situation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Hey--it's yet another reason to love LMDE! :P
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Well from what I can see all packages say latest version and that also matches what is installed on this computer.

All I ever Install is Xfburn / Gparted / Google Earth from Google and that is pretty much it.
Man I can use it straight out of the box and do everything I need to without downloading anything from anyone.

Don't really need Google Earth as google already has google maps and I just lookup how to get to places.
I like Xfburn over Brasero but Brasero always worked when I used it.
Never needed to use VLC Media player so no loss there.

Yeah out of the box off the DVD hey I'm good to go as it comes simple computer needs web surfing / youtube streaming / burn a DVD sometimes / download picture from my cell phone.
Yeah Out of the box works for me.

The Old Timer
Mr.October

Post by Mr.October »

The Old Timer wrote:Well from what I can see all packages say latest version and that also matches what is installed on this computer.
You either can't or won't understand what Cosmo is saying:
The Ubuntu LTS releases are supported for 5 years, LTS stands for Long Term Support.
Now, these 5 years support are only valid for packages (programs) coming from the Main Ubuntu Repository.
Other packages, coming from other repositories, are supported either 3 years or even just 9 months.
That means when you have installed programs on an LTS release you are to believe your system is supported for the full 5 years. But, this is only true for a part of it, other parts are not supported for the full 5 years. It depends from which repository you installed the programs you are using.

I hope I have made it a bit more clear for you. It's the best I can do.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Mr.October wrote:Other packages, coming from other repositories, are supported either 3 years or even just 9 months.
To add: Not supported at all. Also such thing exists. Otherwise full agreement.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Mr.October wrote:
The Old Timer wrote:Well from what I can see all packages say latest version and that also matches what is installed on this computer.
You either can't or won't understand what Cosmo is saying:
The Ubuntu LTS releases are supported for 5 years, LTS stands for Long Term Support.
Now, these 5 years support are only valid for packages (programs) coming from the Main Ubuntu Repository.
Other packages, coming from other repositories, are supported either 3 years or even just 9 months.
That means when you have installed programs on an LTS release you are to believe your system is supported for the full 5 years. But, this is only true for a part of it, other parts are not supported for the full 5 years. It depends from which repository you installed the programs you are using.

I hope I have made it a bit more clear for you. It's the best I can do.
I understand what everyone is saying and sometimes for me it is hard to type what I want to say as my skills aren't in language or linguistics.

I also understand that with any OS whoever the developer there are always vulnerability which can lead to risks in security.
We accept that risk when open up any web browser.
I am willing to take that chance as you since we are both here on this forum now.

The Old Timer
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Mr.October wrote: Now, these 5 years support are only valid for packages (programs) coming from the Main Ubuntu Repository.
This being the case it appears to me that one should go to the original website and check for the latest software package and install it from there instead of the Linux repository. Hopefully the Linux developers will update the unsupported packages in all repositories within the maintenance period. Only time will tell as to what is done on the development of the packages for the new Ubuntu 16.04 release. Any doubts as to the security of the software packages then just don't download them and as far as what is installed from the installation DVD can't really do anything about that.

The Old Timer
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Hello everyone, I was testing here yesterday and today some versions in live of *buntu 16.04 family. Unity really do not interest me, in absolut, so I tried Kubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Xubuntu and Lubuntu to see how they reacted on my computer....

The version that was best performed to me it's Ubuntu Mate. To be the first LTS Ubuntu Mate have done a great job, I see completely unfair that only has support for 3 years for this great version. Next came Xubuntu, you are note very robust and stable, nothing really stands out. Good job too....

Concerning Kubuntu, I was expecting almost of a disaster, but it is not so. Plasma 5 is improving step by step, but if it was the version I walked slower on my computer. And Plasma 5 is still not polished yet, missing some things and a little more stability. Not as bad as expected, but for something their support was reduced from 5 to 3 years... Lubuntu in my case a disappointment, although it is quick, presented me with LXDE many mistakes in the live session. I hope this become LXQT very soon on Lubuntu, note that LXDE is too patched..... Greetings.-

Return to “Chat about Linux”