Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Harold_Finch
Level 1
Level 1

"Running in software rendering mode"/ no video hardware

Post by Harold_Finch »

Hi there, I am a newbie to Linux, and I understand your difficulties in helping newbies, so thank you in advance for your help and patience :)

I just installed Linux Mint Rosa 17.3 on Oracle VM VirtualBox (4/30/2016), and the following message shows up in a black box right after booting:

"Running in software rendering mode

Cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration and, as a result, you may observe much higher than normal CPU usage.

There could be a problem with your drivers or some other issue. For the best experience, it is recommended that you only use this mode for troubleshooting purposes."

1) I checked the Driver Manager and nothing shows up there.
2) My lap top is a Samsung I bought in 2012 Windows 7
3) Graphic card: AMD Radeon HD 6490M

My understanding was that drivers are supposed to be included in Linux, but apparently not this one. I also read in this forum that open source drivers might be good option if no Linux support is provided by manufacturer, but it seems that nothing/ no driver is installed for mine at all.

Any help or recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: "Running in software rendering mode"/ no video hardware

Post by Pjotr »

Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);
- make the terminal window fullscreen, in order to avoid chopped lines;
- copy/paste this command into the terminal (copy/paste can be done with your mouse):

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
if you type: the letter F is a capital letter

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

crlMIDI
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crlMIDI »

I have the same problem, and it's a known one. My terminal output is below (you have to enable copy/paste in the VB configuration). As a check, I installed Ubuntu 16.04 (which I don't like) without any difficulty.

Browsing around VirtualBox help and elsewhere it seemed possible that installing the Guest Additions might help, but this had no effect.

I noted when installing Ubuntu that this was specifically recognised by VB, whereas I used a generic Linux installation for Mint. I had some experience of OS hosting applications a long time ago, before I retired; they are very important, for example to ensure that everyone in a multinational company has the same OS when working together on a document. This one is provided free though it is fully professional, and it allows you to run any number of OS whatever your host system. Mounting and dismounting peripherals, and sharing directories, takes a little getting used to for newbies, but it's less bother than using a different (old) PC for each OS. A lot of people use more than one OS, often because of specific applications, and the hosting system seems much easier than taking risks with multi-booting. Since Mint is a major Linux distro, perhaps the Mint Team could work with Oracle to get this major bug fixed.

lee@lee-VirtualBox ~ $ sudo inxi -Fxz
[sudo] password for lee:
System: Host: lee-VirtualBox Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana)
Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine: System: innotek product: VirtualBox v: 1.2
Mobo: Oracle model: VirtualBox v: 1.2
Bios: innotek v: VirtualBox date: 12/01/2006
CPU: Single core Intel Core i5-3570 (-UP-) cache: 6144 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3) bmips: 6784 speed: 3392 MHz (max)
Graphics: Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: X.org 1.17.1 drivers: vboxvideo (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card Intel 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller
driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: d100 d200 bus-ID: 00:05.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-32-generic
Network: Card: Intel 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: e1000 v: 7.3.21-k8-NAPI port: d010 bus-ID: 00:03.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 13.2GB (49.2% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: VBOX_HARDDISK size: 13.2GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 12G used: 5.2G (49%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.07GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 145 Uptime: 4 min Memory: 388.4/993.2MB
Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (sudo) inxi: 2.2.28
lee@lee-VirtualBox ~ $

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

The most likely cause of this warning is misconfiguration of your virtual machine.

Check that you have a graphics card that has 3D accelerated graphics support. Check that you have enabled 3D accelerated graphics in Display settings of your virtual machine. Check that you have shared enough video memory there as well (at least 96 MB I think). If that's all set correctly and you still get this, the virtualbox guest additions may not have been loaded on your virtual machine. That should load automatically on from the official LiveISO so if this is a installation on a virtual disk or a non-official image, retry by booting your virtual machine from the official LiveISO first.

crlMIDI
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crlMIDI »

Thanks, xenopeec,

Checking 3D acceleration fixed it. When I checked 2D I got an 'invalid parameter detected' message (translated from the French), so I didn't think of trying 3D.

I installed Mint from an ISO downloaded to the W10 host. I didn't know that guest additions are included in the ISO, but installing them manually didn't seem to do any damage (anyway, it's easy enough to re-install Mint).

You mentioned shared video memory: I set that big enough, but note that the setup for Ubuntu built in to VirtualBox has preset defaults which save you from penalising your host OS (W10 in my case) by ignorantly requiring too much by way of resources. That may be one good reason for Mint to come to an arrangement with Oracle, so that ordinary users don't have to learn more than the essential minimum of this geek stuff.

In conclusion, a short note on installing Mint in VirtualBox might be useful for potential users. It could include advice on sharing cloud storage services on the host, such as Google Drive and DropBox.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

crlMIDI wrote:note that the setup for Ubuntu built in to VirtualBox has preset defaults which save you from penalising your host OS (W10 in my case)
I'm only using VirtualBox on Linux hosts. When I configure a Ubuntu guest the preset is a paltry 12 MB share video memory which isn't enough AFAIK. Perhaps the Windows VirtualBox works differently. On Linux choosing a guest OS in VirtualBox only affects what icon is displayed on it AFAIK.
crlMIDI wrote:It could include advice on sharing cloud storage services on the host, such as Google Drive and DropBox.
You can share host directories to the guest. Is that what you mean?

iwannaknowmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iwannaknowmint »

Harold_Finch wrote:Hi there, I am a newbie to Linux, and I understand your difficulties in helping newbies, so thank you in advance for your help and patience :)

I just installed Linux Mint Rosa 17.3 on Oracle VM VirtualBox (4/30/2016), and the following message shows up in a black box right after booting:

"Running in software rendering mode

Cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration and, as a result, you may observe much higher than normal CPU usage.

There could be a problem with your drivers or some other issue. For the best experience, it is recommended that you only use this mode for troubleshooting purposes."

1) I checked the Driver Manager and nothing shows up there.
2) My lap top is a Samsung I bought in 2012 Windows 7
3) Graphic card: AMD Radeon HD 6490M

My understanding was that drivers are supposed to be included in Linux, but apparently not this one. I also read in this forum that open source drivers might be good option if no Linux support is provided by manufacturer, but it seems that nothing/ no driver is installed for mine at all.

Any help or recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks.
As it seems this problem is caused by 'guest additions', by removing them manually through Terminal with the command 'sudo apt remove virtualbox-guest*' and replace them by the most recent to be found at /media/username/ then press 'tab' button, you'll find the correct one.
Then use 'cd' to get into the content of that directory, the command looks like this : 'cd /media/username/vboxadditions_*'
List the content of it by typing 'ls -alph' and in the list copy '*.run' and execute it with sudo prefix like this: 'sudo ./vboxlinuxadditions.run' .
Answer the question with 'yes' and after completion turn off the virtual linux and turn it back on again.
The problem will be solved.
A video can be found 'here'.
Assumption many times is the beginning of lots of unnecessary stress.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”