Lost networking to windows after Samba updates [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Lost networking to windows after Samba updates 4-18-2016

Post by altair4 »

DarkNova wrote:This affects many people and is still outstanding so I don't know why it would be closed. First of all, a downgrade to a version with security holes cannot seriously be considered a "fix". Secondly, a CIFS mount does not fix the problem in all scenarios, such as if you try to print to a printer being shared by a Windows machine. In that case it needs to use Samba, not CIFS, so you cannot use the CIFS workaround to get CUPS working, the only resolution will be a fix to Samba.
The key to the CIFS mount working in this particular topic aside from doing this without some smbclient provisions is the explicit passing of the user name "guest".

Try doing what the bug report suggested and edit cups to pass "guest" as well:
greg (xeon-greg) wrote on 2016-04-27: #14

you should stop cups service, then open /etc/cups/printers.conf, modify printer's URI like that smb://guest@....... then save and start cups service. when you start printing authentication dialog pop's up, you don't have to enter any credentials , just hit enter an it will prints
Thank you, Greg.
This suggestion " smb://guest@....... works fine for printing to a Win7 share from another Xubuntu install which I did not downgrade. That is, an installation updated to samba 4.3.8.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
mintchoc

Re: Lost networking to windows after Samba updates [SOLVED]

Post by mintchoc »

I wholeheartedly agree that this issue should not be labeled as "Solved." In fact, I'm really surprised that anyone would suggest such a thing at this stage. The fix needs to be addressed in the updates, and I would think that these forums serve as the squeaky wheel to keep things moving forward.

Although I'm grateful for the temporary workaround, I expect more of the OS/distro.

My two cents.... -- Mintchoc
dan0

Re: Lost networking to windows after Samba updates 4-18-2016

Post by dan0 »

rjr6860 wrote:Once again Linux make me want to go back to windows. I love the speed of Linux but too many problems.
After 2 years of daily use (mint on my desktop, lubuntu on a mini 9)
this is the first real issue I've had
not a bad average IMHO
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

An update to version 2:4.3.9+dfsg-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 is available now and should fix the regressions according to http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-2950-2/
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

xenopeek wrote:An update to version 2:4.3.9+dfsg-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 is available now...
Thank you for that information. I read the article in the link, but I want to confirm that I proceed correctly.

I have NOT installed the first (problem) update. Should I install only the new update - or should I install the first one and then the second one ??

TIA !!
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That doesn't matter; the end result is the same.
lothar

Post by lothar »

Samba 2:4.3.9 update did not work for me this morning. had to roll back again. I'll keep watching this post to see if anyone figures this out.
GingerNinja69

Post by GingerNinja69 »

Yes! New version 2:4.3.9 works for me. Tested on the virtual box a couple of times, all good. Then did so on my host machine. All working now!
lothar

Post by lothar »

I am trying to connect to a Asus router that has a samba share setup to a USB drive. Do you think the Asus router's Samba needs to be updated as well? If that's the case I'm not sure how I would do that. I guess what I'm asking is do you think that the newest release of samba wont communicate with unpatched Samba machines?
GingerNinja69

Post by GingerNinja69 »

Lothar,
Not sure on that as I'm connecting to native Windows machines. I would suggest running two virtual machines to test it. Personally I've always found the USB connectivity on routers to be a bit flaky anyway.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

lothar wrote:Samba 2:4.3.9 update did not work for me this morning. had to roll back again. I'll keep watching this post to see if anyone figures this out.
Was there a trick to this? I tried installing this latest Samba update (2:4.3.9) on my three Linux Mint 17.3 MATE machines and, although I can now access each of their unpassworded shares and read/write from a Windows machine, I STILL get a password request when trying to connect to any unpassworded shares from my Windows machine?

I would also go against marking this as SOLVED....there are still a lot of people having issues (myself included)!

EDIT - Just used Synaptic to reinstall all the Samba packages....still getting the same issue.
dan0

Post by dan0 »

darkstrike wrote:Was there a trick to this? I tried installing this latest Samba update (2:4.3.9) on my three Linux Mint 17.3 MATE machines and, although I can now access each of their unpassworded shares and read/write from a Windows machine, I STILL get a password request when trying to connect to any unpassworded shares from my Windows machine?

I would also go against marking this as SOLVED....there are still a lot of people having issues (myself included)!

EDIT - Just used Synaptic to reinstall all the Samba packages....still getting the same issue.
Dosent work for me either
xenopeeks fix failed now :(
will tinker more and post results later
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Good luck! Hoping for a fix soon!
Dan S

Post by Dan S »

After the 2:4.3.9 update, I was able to reach the shares on my ASUS router, and public shares on a Windows 7 machine, by adding the following to /etc/samba/smb.conf

client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no
client ipc max protocol = NT1

Inserted immediately under Global Settings -- ##Browsing/Identification##

ASUS shares work like always. Public Windows shares, the user/pass window still comes up, but if I type in anything (e.g. user: "d" / pass: "s"), the share opens. Don't know if it'll work for others, but it works for me.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

In all seriousness I am truly not trying to be confrontational but if you look at the original bug report it would suggest that this is resolved: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1572876

Well, resolved in the sense that the specific suggestion to turn off spnego and ntlmv2 auth ( both of which are there for security ) is no longer needed as a suggested workaround. What may be required is a new way to start the communications link with the server:
greg (xeon-greg) wrote on 2016-05-05: #27

no need to use
client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no
client ipc max protocol = NT1

for UNprotected share just use your local ubuntu account credentials (login and password)
for protected share use credentials that was set on share-host machine
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Should we go ahead and mark ALL threads solved? It seems not to matter if folks are still having problems. if someone dreamed up a solution that might work... at least for part of the time... for at least one person... somewhere... then it would probably be the right thing to do to accept that as a universal solution - and mark the topic as solved.

Yes?

No?

Maybe?

Oh, wait... we could close this topic and open a new one - essentially about the same problem. But, wouldn't that destroy the continuity of the problem narrative (history)? And, it would just create more threads about the same problem - taking more time for research - and definitely not helpful in the problem resolution process.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"

Animal House
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

From: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1572876
After Samba upgrade can't access unpassworded windows share
SambaBug.png
I think "Fix Released" implies that Ubuntu considers this issue closed.

If you think it has not I would suggest you go to that bug report and tell them: "No it ain't fixed".

Don't bother creating a bug report to Mint since all they will do is send it to Ubuntu. As far as this forum is concerned all you can hope for are work arounds and there are now three already provided.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

altair4 wrote:I think "Fix Released" implies that Ubuntu considers this issue closed...
I think all your observations are spot on, and I completely agree. Sadly, there are folks who are still having problems. They are clearly monitoring this thread for help. I don't know a better way to close the topic for those who are now fixed but leave it open for those who are not. And, this cannot be the first time a situation like this has occurred. Perhaps there could be some sort of policy (damn, I hate that word) or guideline for these forums so that a problem can continue to be documented until all who are having issues have been fixed - even if the problem changes from a global problem to a single-user problem. Regarding that sort of problem tracking I do not know the answer, but that certainly doesn't mean there isn't one - or the admins can't create one.

Animal House
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

This thread has taken on a life of it's own. Nothing stopping it now. I for one am beginning to feel like that rabbit in the Mutant Clowns game I just got on my phone.

And I'm not entirely sure it's a samba issue to fix.
dan0

Post by dan0 »

dan0 wrote: Dosent work for me either
xenopeeks fix failed now :(
will tinker more and post results later
1. installed the latest updates
reboot (doesn’t work)
2. installed xenopeeks fix
reboot (doesn’t work)
3. removed samba
reboot
4. installed xenopeeks fix
reboot (doesn’t work)
5. removed samba
reboot
6. installed the latest updates
reboot (doesn’t work)

networking is so broken now when I click on network in the caja file manager I get
Could Not Display "network:///"
Caja cannot handle "network" locations

Help

Return to “Networking”