Catalyst / fglrx going the way of the Dodo Bird

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Catalyst / fglrx going the way of the Dodo Bird

Post by amethyst_igor »

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/p ... post857203

So, looks like AMD is wising up and committing their "resources" -- a part-time intern, half a pack of bubble gum, a stray dogs and a parakeet -- to developing open source support on Linux instead of the Catalyst thingy. Not good news for gamers. Probably a good thing in the long run, but not good news for those who opt for the next LTS of *buntu or Linux Mint. They are going to be "left in the lurch," at least until the next release, possibly longer.

I'd say now's a good time to hit up ol' E-bay with your AMD apu and see what you can get for it. Replace it with something nice, like oh say, Intel.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Catalyst / fglrx going the way of the Dodo Bird

Post by samriggs »

:evil: man oh man I just bought an acer piece of crap laptop with all amd in it.
Well that'll teach me to go cheap and try and save money.
Next time it'll be intel and nivda video card instead, asus rog, only cost me an extra grand or more :roll:
Oh well better start saving up for the dang thing.

As long as this thing will keep up until then I'll be good.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor »

samriggs wrote::evil: man oh man I just bought an acer piece of crap laptop with all amd in it.
Well that'll teach me to go cheap and try and save money.
Next time it'll be intel and nivda video card instead, asus rog, only cost me an extra grand or more :roll:
Oh well better start saving up for the dang thing.

As long as this thing will keep up until then I'll be good.
Here's the article where Ubuntu says no to fglrx in 16.04 (Ubuntu's next LTS release).

My takeaway is that this is good news in the long term, if we are to assume that one day, the open source Radeon driver will match or surpass in performance AMD's proprietary Catalyst.

In the meantime, you might want to just stick with LM 17.3 and postpone the notion of upgrading to the next release, that is, if you have much depending upon the performance of AMD's proprietary video driver, Catalyst / fglrx.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

I use this one as a workstation for programming so no heavy gaming, which in which case it should be ok as long as my emulators and ide's work I'll probably be good to go along with gimp and krita.
The only thing I'm really concerned about is the opengl but hopefully that'll be ok with what I use it for.
I read somewhere that one person tried the new one and it worked fine but can't remember where I read it now.
I thought it wasn't out yet but maybe they got a hold of rc version or something.
Either way I'll hold onto this version for as long as possible and hopefully I'll have my new toy by then.
Sam

Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

AMD just sucks hard. Choose Intel and Nvidia if you use Linux.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Ya soon as I get 2 grand to buy the next toy with intel/nvida in it, asus rog.
Amd was alright for my purpose until this happened (or is going to happen) but it still might be fine after the new one comes out, it's just too debatable to take that chance, so mint 17.3 will remain on this one until I get the new toy.

Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 »

Technology, sold to us a great thing to improve our lives, the reality is we get shafted at every turn..... I find life was a lot easier beforhand

I tried a live disc of ubuntu 16.04 mate and all I got was a black screen on my pc,yet to try on my non amd laptop, so this means Mint 18 will be no good as well? maybe I'll go back to windoze, seriously considering just switching the PC off permanently and living without one...

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

I got an old intel sitting in the closet collecting dust which I can still use when it comes down the pipeline, so I still got a backup if needed but I'll just keep mint 17 on it until I get a new one.
Edit:
I noticed you tried and it didn't work, so I just downloaded ubuntu 16 lts which uses the new amd drivers and tried it out myself for curiosity sake and volia it loaded fine with no issues.
I have Radeon r4/r5 and it's mullin amd/ati which is on the good list for being supported when I looked at it a few weeks ago.
So looks like I should be in the clear when it comes down the pipeline.
Hopefully no issues will arise.
I'll have to get my mother a new laptop though, she uses an older amd from a few years ago which is more then likely not supported anymore.
She due for a new one anyhow.
I have my mother who is almost in her 80's using linux and loving it :D
She even upgraded her own grub in the terminal once, shocked the heck out of me, and went on for weeks how shes a geek now :lol:
To be honest I would rather not use a computer if had to ever go back to windows, I would opt for mac way before I went to windows.
I honestly detest windows that much.
It's better to go to a pawn shop and buy a used cheap one and shove linux on it, but that's just me and my whole family, were all 100% linux users.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor »

samriggs wrote:I got an old intel sitting in the closet collecting dust which I can still use when it comes down the pipeline, so I still got a backup if needed but I'll just keep mint 17 on it until I get a new one.
Edit:
I noticed you tried and it didn't work, so I just downloaded ubuntu 16 lts which uses the new amd drivers and tried it out myself for curiosity sake and volia it loaded fine with no issues.
I have Radeon r4/r5 and it's mullin amd/ati which is on the good list for being supported when I looked at it a few weeks ago.
So looks like I should be in the clear when it comes down the pipeline.
Hopefully no issues will arise.
I'll have to get my mother a new laptop though, she uses an older amd from a few years ago which is more then likely not supported anymore.
She due for a new one anyhow.
I have my mother who is almost in her 80's using linux and loving it :D
She even upgraded her own grub in the terminal once, shocked the heck out of me, and went on for weeks how shes a geek now :lol:
To be honest I would rather not use a computer if had to ever go back to windows, I would opt for mac way before I went to windows.
I honestly detest windows that much.
It's better to go to a pawn shop and buy a used cheap one and shove linux on it, but that's just me and my whole family, were all 100% linux users.
Awesome. Linux has changed my own lifestyle. I now have 5 computers whereas years ago, could only afford one shared by two people. Linux is pretty easy to maintain and does not require much. Also, you can configure it just the way you want, not the way some corporation wants. Also, you can buy a cheapie special and be perfectly OK in Linux. Even your AMD computer, don't throw it away, because it is probably alright for the usual desktop stuff, just may be problematic with games or other demanding graphical programs. I'm kind of biased against AMD due to bad experiences with Catalyst and the desktop failing to display at all under various distros over the years. Just don't like dealing with the misery. I aim for a simple life, and Intel gives me that. Nvidia doesn't seem too bad either. However, maybe one day AMD will return to the light, you never know. The commitment to open source sounds promising and should bear fruit in the future.

I tried to get my elderly mother on Linux. I even offered to give her a Linux laptop for free, specially configured with all the apps she would need. She declined, not because she has anything against Linux, but because she loves her old, out-of-warranty Mac. It won't run today's browsers and other software, but she loves it. People fall in love with Apple products, that's just the way it is. Whereas people tend to feel the other way about Windows, like it is a nuisance they have to put up with. Windows isn't actually all that bad, but the one-size-fits-all philosophy rubs people the wrong way, naturally. I run Windows 10 when I have to, which is not often! I may use it for gaming one day, but so far I play Dungeon Crawl, Wesnoth and chess on my linux rigs and don't really crave the modern gaming scene, with its expensive hardware requirements. Also, the 3D thing is a bit of a turn-off, as I prefer 2D games, turn-based and preferably quiet.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Ah, the love/hate war rages on.

*roasts some marshmallows*

Seriously though, isn't it at some point incumbent upon the user to do some research before buying? I mean, would you decide to buy property in bumf**k pick-a-state without being sure, for example, that there was broadband Internet? Cell service? Electricity? Running water? Or would you just buy the place and then start complaining how there's no such service there?

There's literally tons of hardware floating around out there which enjoys full hardware support in GNU+Linux. Obviously, something like System76 is an option, but NewEgg and others also sell good choices. There's all manner of off-lease hardware which is supported. There's generally no need to pay a king's ransom for hardware, and certainly none for hardware with sub-par or no support.

Research, research, research... that's the key.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Portreve wrote:Ah, the love/hate war rages on.

Seriously though, isn't it at some point incumbent upon the user to do some research before buying? I mean, would you decide to buy property in bumf**k pick-a-state without being sure, for example, that there was broadband Internet? Cell service? Electricity? Running water? Or would you just buy the place and then start complaining how there's no such service there?

There's literally tons of hardware floating around out there which enjoys full hardware support in GNU+Linux. Obviously, something like System76 is an option, but NewEgg and others also sell good choices. There's all manner of off-lease hardware which is supported. There's generally no need to pay a king's ransom for hardware, and certainly none for hardware with sub-par or no support.

I usually always do research before buying anything because of linux and some issues with some stuff, but a lot of folks have computers from around 5 years ago (my mom is one which is older then that) when amd wasn't really an issue, me on the other hand I was just plain stupid with this one :oops:
I was at the computer store with my wife, bought her an asus intel which is what I was going to get also but the one I wanted was around $1400 and at the last moment decided to save 800 bucks and get a cheap acer.
Not one of my brightest moments, the wife balled me out for that move and said I would regret it :lol:
she was doing the ole 'I told ya so" and how were getting quite a collection of laptops in the closets, maybe I can come up with a new decoration for the apartment with laptops, turn them into plant holders or book ends or something.
Ahhh got it, shove some legs on them and make tv dinner trays out of them :D
The wifes getting tired of buying computers because the hubby won't listen.
Hey at least we'll have fancy tv dinner trays now, just got to get a few more to make a set :D

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor »

Portreve wrote:Ah, the love/hate war rages on.

You're preaching to the choir where I'm concerned... I'm the type of geek that will spend all night reading hardware reviews, where I usually search for one key-term, Linux. One day, maybe research won't be that big a deal with Linux, but some manufacturers still don't get it. Maybe Linuxers aren't a big part of the marketplace, but we tend to be techies, and people come to us for advice, even if we aren't ourselves empowered to make their purchase(s).

I like: Brother printers, Intel cpu's, Nvidia video cards, Acer monitors and Chromebooks, WD hard drives, and where SSD is concerned, just about anything except Adata. I know Intel and Samsung lead the market, but Sandisk and PNY are okay too in my experience on Linux. And Chromebooks are awesome once you liberate them from ChromeOS. They are designed for Linux! See my review on GalliumOS.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Frankly, I wouldn't cry a single tear if someone leaked all the super sekrit squirrel bits from printers, graphics cards & chip sets, network cards, sound cards, or pretty much anything else, so that the libre community could write their own drivers and basically tell the hardware makers to go screw themselves.

“Oh, I'm afraid your so-called IP is toast now that f/oss devs have arrived...”
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor »

Portreve wrote:Frankly, I wouldn't cry a single tear if someone leaked all the super sekrit squirrel bits from printers, graphics cards & chip sets, network cards, sound cards, or pretty much anything else, so that the libre community could write their own drivers and basically tell the hardware makers to go screw themselves.

It is actually in the interest of the hardware manufacturers that they make their stuff work well in Linux. The sooner they see that, the better. I really don't have any issues with hardware in Linux, my stuff works great, but if someone on the forum does have an issue isolated to one specific hardware vendor, and we know it is just the hardware and not their configuration, then my inclination is to advise them to sell the hardware on E-bay, as I have done on numerous occasions, and replace it with Linux-friendly hardware. That seems more logical to me than spending a lot of time filing bug reports and struggling to get things working. If the hardware doesn't work, the manufacturer dropped the ball, so let the source of the problem worry about it, not the end user. :mrgreen:

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol »

Portreve wrote:Frankly, I wouldn't cry a single tear if someone leaked all the super sekrit squirrel bits from printers, graphics cards & chip sets, network cards, sound cards, or pretty much anything else, so that the libre community could write their own drivers and basically tell the hardware makers to go screw themselves.

One can only dream!
Donate to your favourite distros!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”