[Solved]Antix 15.1

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Old Timer

[Solved]Antix 15.1

Post by The Old Timer »

Hey all,

Need some input about Antix 15.1 distro.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Antix 15.1

Post by Moem »

It's VERY lightweight. It's ugly as sin out of the box, but tweakable.
What do you want to know?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Just wondered if anyone has used it for any time and their thoughts.
I have an old 2004 desktop loaded with hardware goodies and in its day was a excellent computer.
Processor is an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton and it is SSE instruction so it isn't supported by much these days.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I've tried it, because I have a similarly old, originally quite nice piece of hardware.

Well, it runs surprisingly fast on old hardware. It could very well be a good way to make your old desktop usable again, depending on what you want to use it for.
Problems will begin as soon as you try running a modern browser on it (as you should, for reasons of security) and then loading a modern, javascript-loaden website. Then your browser will likely go belly up.

But if you want to use it for mostly textbased things, it could serve you well.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Cool I think I will give it a try.
Iceweasel is the browser and I like it.
I just hate tossing old computers that have good hardware in them.
It might make a good web surfer.

Thanks
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

The Old Timer wrote:It might make a good web surfer.
Yes, as long as you surf websites that are mostly text based.
But you should definitely give it a try! It doesn't cost anything, it's interesting, you'll learn stuff and the machine may in fact turn out to have a practical use.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Do keep us updated on how it turns out! :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

@Moem
[It's ugly as sin] That's funny. I'm old an ugly.

@Fred Barclay
Yes I will keep you posted.

Thanks
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

This old 2004 computer has an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton processor / Nvidia Geforce FX5200 agp 8x geaphics card / 2.0GB DDR ram / 120 GB HDD.
Just couldn't see tossing it as it is in perfect shape.
It will be fun to see what it will do.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That's actually not too bad! My old 'pavement tile' of a laptop has all of 0,75 GB of RAM. I think yours will be pretty usable!
You could also try Linux Lite. It's smoother looking, which makes for a more pleasant experience, and your computer should run that fine, too.

Eventually, we all get old and ugly... if we're lucky! :wink:

linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

If you're more of a regular user and don't want to do a lot of tweaking, I'd recommend MX-14.4 or 15, antix's slightly heavier brother. I've used it on an older PC, and it runs like a champ! They're both excellent, but MX requires less work to set up. Linux Lite is also a great contender. As well, you might want to check out Bodhi, which is ubuntu-based and runs well on older boxes.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Tried Linux Lite 2.8 and the browser creeps along slow slow and the same with Puppy (tahrpup6.0.5) and that's why I'm wanting to try Antix. Downloading a full 32 bit ISO now and then I'm going to install it and see what happens. It's a good old desktop for its day and the original owner kept it in excellent shape. I gave it a good air hose dusting as I don't believe it ever had one so it's nice and clean inside it.
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

linux-dummie wrote:If you're more of a regular user and don't want to do a lot of tweaking, I'd recommend MX-14.4 or 15, antix's slightly heavier brother. I've used it on an older PC, and it runs like a champ! They're both excellent, but MX requires less work to set up. Linux Lite is also a great contender. As well, you might want to check out Bodhi, which is ubuntu-based and runs well on older boxes.
I did see MX-14.4 or 15, on the download page and I'll give those a looking at as they seem to be choice. I'm still going to run the Antix 15.1 anyway and I don't mind a little bit of tweaking as that is all part of Linux. I will check into Bodhi also.

Thanks for the input and I will keep you posted as to how this goes.
Time to get back to work glad it's only a half day now.

Thanks.
The Old Timer
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Moem wrote: Eventually, we all get old and ugly... if we're lucky! :wink:
You crack me up.
Have a Good Day and Enjoy Life as it is an Adventure.

The Old Timer
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Off work and here is what I've done.
This thing flies and have downloaded and installed the minimal software that is needed for my personal web surfing.

Install could not have been easier and it was as though I had my own personal install assistant leading me by the hand through each and every step.

As in any Linux distro GUFW / UFW is the standard firewall call for it enter your password and your done.
Went into terminal sudo apt-get update / Sudo apt-get dist-upgrade takes a few minutes and then done.
Ok now onto the settings in the Iceweasel browser and ok done and I'm online.

We are on it now and waiting for my return conformation for their forum.
Sure there are still some things to set up / download and install but need to know the best way for doing them so onto their forum.
Oh boy another new user name and password.

Hey as it stands now I can go online and it is secure I can figure the rest out as it comes.
A good Linux distro and really does run like a champ as was mentioned earlier by linux-dummie.
For now that is all I can say so I am off to play now and see what this can do.

To All A Good Day.

The Old Timer.

My System Specs.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Fx
System: Host: emachines-T3092 Kernel: 4.0.5-antix.3-486-smp i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.9.3) Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8
Distro: antiX-15.1_386-full Killah P 18 February 2016
Machine: Mobo: First model: AU31 v: PCB 1.x Bios: Phoenix v: TCB426G date: 03/30/2004
CPU: Single core AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (-UP-) cache: 512 KB
flags: (pae sse) bmips: 4342 speed: 2171 MHz (max)
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] bus-ID: 02:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV34 GLX Version: 1.5 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 NVIDIA nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP)
driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: d800 dc00 bus-ID: 00:06.0
Card-2 NVIDIA nForce Audio Processing Unit bus-ID: 00:05.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.0.5-antix.3-486-smp
Network: Card: NVIDIA nForce2 Ethernet Controller driver: forcedeth port: d400 bus-ID: 00:04.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:40:ca:7b:bb:f1
Drives: HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (4.2% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3120022A size: 120.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 108G used: 2.8G (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 100 Uptime: 1:47 Memory: 216.0/2020.3MB Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.3.0
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

So I thought that antix was a live distro only? Can you actually install it to a hard drive?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Fred Barclay wrote:So I thought that antix was a live distro only? Can you actually install it to a hard drive?
Yes Fred you can, I used antix awhile back, and you can do both, live, or installed on your HDD.
Last edited by Crewp on Wed May 11, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You most certainly can. I have done so.

The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Hey everyone,

I Have to say that this is a pretty neat little Linux distro right out of the box.

I don't know how long ago you tried it Moem but I don't find it ugly.
The desktop wallpaper is boring except for a couple of them.
It is simple like Windows 98 as far as the menu windows and no eye candy but colorful.
It reminds me of Puppy as some of the menu windows that you open are just the same.

Out of the box a lot of basic useful software is installed and plenty more available.
For someone needing a simple basic get on the web type use it would definitely work very well.
Can't say anything at all how any online streaming is as this processor is only SSE instruction and isn't supported by youtube.

Good old simple and very functional basic Linux distro that does what it is supposed to do.
New life for an old desktop computer that was only being used as a door stop.

The Old Timer
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Half a year ago or so. Funny how tastes differ, isn't it. I'm glad you like it, and find it usable! Of course, on 2GB of RAM you have plenty of options. But since you like this one, enjoy! :)

Return to “Chat about Linux”