Linux Mint Index

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint Index

Post by Jesse654 » Wed May 18, 2016 3:56 pm

There's a website up now with some cross-references (an index) to LM blog posts and so forth.
I hope it will be useful to the LM community. I am hoping to expand it to include a full A-Z index.
This is not part of an official LM website. I hope to give back by making information on various aspects of LM more accessible.

You can get to it via:
https://www.EarthNeptune.com

If you have any comments and/or suggestions for it, please let me know. Thanks.

Edit:
You can also get to the Linux Mint Index more directly using:
http://www.linuxmintindex.com
This takes you to the main Linux Mint Index page on EarthNeptune.com but shows EarthNeptune.com in the location bar (which is probably a good thing as this is not an official LM site). (This http takes you to the https version; both http/https are available via EarthNeptune.com.)

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint Index

Post by amethyst_igor » Tue May 24, 2016 6:35 am

Jesse654 wrote:There's a website up now with some cross-references (an index) to LM blog posts and so forth.
I hope it will be useful to the LM community. I am hoping to expand it to include a full A-Z index.
This is not part of an official LM website. I hope to give back by making information on various aspects of LM more accessible.

You can get to it via:
https://www.EarthNeptune.com

If you have any comments and/or suggestions for it, please let me know. Thanks.

Edit:
You can also get to the Linux Mint Index more directly using:
http://www.linuxmintindex.com
This takes you to the main Linux Mint Index page on EarthNeptune.com but shows EarthNeptune.com in the location bar (which is probably a good thing as this is not an official LM site). (This http takes you to the https version; both http/https are available via EarthNeptune.com.)
I'm no web design artiste, but this is a really old school web page that reminds me of the 1990's, when my friend back then was bugging me to forget about BBSes and try the new WWW thingy. He recommended Netscape Navigator as a browser. Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I found that the forum link can only be accessed by clicking on your "Linux Mint Quick Links", then under Main Links, there is a link to the forum. Well, altogether this is not a significant improvement over linuxmint.com's organization, which at least has the advantage of looking spiffy and reasonably modern. I'm not a fan of light backgrounds, but bright white, least of all. Bright light hurts my eyes, and then there is eye gore all over i-gor.

That said, it is moderately helpful. I was looking specifically for a link to the forums. If you haven't notice, the link on linuxmint.com is rather buried, hidden really, because forums are always a bit of an embarrassment and a liability--you know, every yahoo named igor can write whatever they want. Not the sort of thing you want as a first or second impression on impressionable newcomers to Linux Mint. It would be nice if you got a little ambitious and made a CSS dropdown menu, with all those links categorized in sub-menus. The main menu should be contained within a single line. That way, rather than being stuck to a page like earthneptune, the code could be lifted and incorporated into any web page, such as my homepage. I would do that, if I thought many people would be interested, but my guess is, not. People seem to be quite content with Google or whatever and distrustful of unknown html or web pages.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:40 pm

amethyst_igor wrote:I'm no web design artiste, but this is a really old school web page that reminds me of the 1990's
First, thank you for your reply. I will definitely consider everything you wrote. As far as 90's design, I think some of that is the case. When dealing with several hundred links into LM's Main and Segfault Blogs, it is hard to come up with something that looks cool while also being useful. I'm certainly open to suggestions! All there is to work with is a title and an HTML link. Perhaps there is a one-line, additional description, but the vast majority of the time, not even that. And, remember, this is an index. I think the important thing is well-ordered, cross-referenced data/links.
amethyst_igor wrote:I found that the forum link can only be accessed by clicking on your "Linux Mint Quick Links", then under Main Links, there is a link to the forum. Well, altogether this is not a significant improvement over linuxmint.com's organization, which at least has the advantage of looking spiffy and reasonably modern. I'm not a fan of light backgrounds, but bright white, least of all. Bright light hurts my eyes, and then there is eye gore all over i-gor.
You make a good point about how many clicks to get to what you are looking for. Perhaps I can put more links onto the main Linux Mint Index page going to the Forums and other more popular destinations. Thanks for that analysis. :)
As far as bright white backgrounds burning your eyes out: YES, I totally, 100% agree. Personally, I dislike white backgrounds. Unfortunately, even though color monitors came out a few decades ago, applications and now websites continue to use black on white. Ugh. I could write a book on this subject, but I'll stop my rant right now.

Bottom line: I am definitely considering a change or at least giving the user an easy choice. Just wish that 95% of users didn't already expect and have learned to want (I guess) black on white. The last major site I created had a nice cyan on black design, which was in line with the purpose of that site. So maybe I'll be daring and come out with an innovative and not-so-corporate-cubicle design.
amethyst_igor wrote:That said, it is moderately helpful. I was looking specifically for a link to the forums. If you haven't notice, the link on linuxmint.com is rather buried, hidden really, because forums are always a bit of an embarrassment and a liability--you know, every yahoo named igor can write whatever they want. Not the sort of thing you want as a first or second impression on impressionable newcomers to Linux Mint. It would be nice if you got a little ambitious and made a CSS dropdown menu, with all those links categorized in sub-menus. The main menu should be contained within a single line. That way, rather than being stuck to a page like earthneptune, the code could be lifted and incorporated into any web page, such as my homepage. I would do that, if I thought many people would be interested, but my guess is, not. People seem to be quite content with Google or whatever and distrustful of unknown html or web pages.
Well, 99% of what I've seen about the LM forums is very positive. YMMV.
CSS menus are certainly possible. Everything on EarthNeptune.com is already HTML5/CSS3.
As far as making something that could be easily "lifted," no, I'm not for that. I'm trying to be helpful to the LM Community while trying to pay the bills just like everyone else has to do. The dozens (more like hundreds) of hours I put into this is not sponsored by Linux Mint nor by any multi-billion dollar company.
And I've been using Linux Mint and helping where I can for about six years now. (I know others have been here longer.) Since I've gotten EarthNeptune.com, I've been linking to it in my blog comments; that's been since the latter part of 2010, about 5.5 years.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Tue May 24, 2016 8:25 pm

[quote="Jesse654"]First, thank you for your reply. I will definitely consider everything you wrote. As far as 90's design, I think some of that is the case. When dealing with several hundred links into LM's Main and Segfault Blogs, it is hard to come up with something that looks cool while also being useful. I'm certainly open to suggestions! All there is to work with is a title and an HTML link. Perhaps there is a one-line, additional description, but the vast majority of the time, not even that. And, remember, this is an index. I think the important thing is well-ordered, cross-referenced data/links.

No news, in a forum, is bad news. People reply to what interest them. I've posted some clunkers in my day, even here, that have gotten zero replies. But this is a pretty active forum, and even when asking for help, most posts get replies.

As for the dark background. You can't please everyone, so might as well please yourself. Clem likes green, and I think there is some sort of Ireland connection, so he went with that. Whoever did this forum, likes robin's egg blue. I like pitch black, or #000000. But perhaps, since you are linking to Clem's sites, we should conform to his colors, since they will be the destination anyway. Just borrow his .css and use that.

As for menu and submenu, take a shortcut and just google css drop down menus. There are about fifty ways to do it, and it is easier when you cook up a nice steaming batch of copy pasta.

There is also a really nice and elaborate menu system written by some dude in Norway, or the Netherlands, or something. I forget what it is called, but I will look into it if that floats your boat. It is rather complicated, though, and has a ton of features. It may be beyond the scope of what you are doing. Wait, that guy is in the Netherlands, and he's a cat lover. I remember him. He's nuts about cats and competes in cat shows. Good guy.

As for your html and css, all of that stealable. Once you code it and put it up on a page and say, "come and get it, boys," it's public domain, I'm afraid. People steal all the stuff I've done, thousands of hours worth. One guy even ripped an entire web site without so much as a by-your-leave. I detected that in the web logs and asked him about it. He was like, well, yes I did, just thought I might need a back-up one day. I figure I'm a crafter, not a marketer. I like tinkering but the monetizing is a different story.

If your creation proved at some point useful, then I would probably encapsulate it in my home page at some point. My homepage contains search forms for many of the major search engines and some rather obscure ones. That way I do not have to visit those pages, yet reap the benefit of them and save some clicking and time. I do not think that Google, for instance, is going to send me a cease and desist letter anytime soon. I do not see the benefit of merely having links to indexes or search engines, when I can incorporate their functionality into a central trusted and locally stored page, and never leave that page.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Tue May 24, 2016 8:28 pm

amethyst_igor wrote:
Jesse654 wrote:First, thank you for your reply. I will definitely consider everything you wrote. As far as 90's design, I think some of that is the case. When dealing with several hundred links into LM's Main and Segfault Blogs, it is hard to come up with something that looks cool while also being useful. I'm certainly open to suggestions! All there is to work with is a title and an HTML link. Perhaps there is a one-line, additional description, but the vast majority of the time, not even that. And, remember, this is an index. I think the important thing is well-ordered, cross-referenced data/links.
No news, in a forum, is bad news. People reply to what interest them. I've posted some clunkers in my day, even here, that have gotten zero replies. But this is a pretty active forum, and even when asking for help, most posts get replies.

As for the dark background. You can't please everyone, so might as well please yourself. Clem likes green, and I think there is some sort of Ireland connection, so he went with that. Whoever did this forum, likes robin's egg blue. I like pitch black, or #000000. But perhaps, since you are linking to Clem's sites, we should conform to his colors, since they will be the destination anyway. Just borrow his .css and use that.

As for menu and submenu, take a shortcut and just google css drop down menus. There are about fifty ways to do it, and it is easier when you cook up a nice steaming batch of copy pasta.

There is also a really nice and elaborate menu system written by some dude in Norway, or the Netherlands, or something. I forget what it is called, but I will look into it if that floats your boat. It is rather complicated, though, and has a ton of features. It may be beyond the scope of what you are doing. Wait, that guy is in the Netherlands, and he's a cat lover. I remember him. He's nuts about cats and competes in cat shows. Good guy.

As for your html and css, all of that stealable. Once you code it and put it up on a page and say, "come and get it, boys," it's public domain, I'm afraid. People steal all the stuff I've done, thousands of hours worth. One guy even ripped an entire web site without so much as a by-your-leave. I detected that in the web logs and asked him about it. He was like, well, yes I did, just thought I might need a back-up one day. I figure I'm a crafter, not a marketer. I like tinkering but the monetizing is a different story.

If your creation proved at some point useful, then I would probably encapsulate it in my home page at some point. My homepage contains search forms for many of the major search engines and some rather obscure ones. That way I do not have to visit those pages, yet reap the benefit of them and save some clicking and time. I do not think that Google, for instance, is going to send me a cease and desist letter anytime soon. I do not see the benefit of merely having links to indexes or search engines, when I can incorporate their functionality into a central trusted and locally stored page, and never leave that page.

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:12 am

Updated main LMI page so the Quick Links are more accessible. For example, a link to the Forums is right there at the top of the page.

Took the BETA/RC links off the "Currently Supported Releases - Summary" page. (They are still on the detail page.)

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:26 pm

A basic A-Z index is up now.
I didn't start with this since I knew the important stuff was links to blogs, release info and general links.
The A-Z index is the fourth major part of this. It will be expanded upon over time.

Also while I tend toward functionality over design, I still appreciate good design. Functionality with good design is the best
of both worlds. I have already started planning and even prototyping new design changes.
I thought at first that these should wait until they are mostly done, but now I'm thinking that an iterative approach would be a better strategy.
So look for style, design and color changes and improvements along the way too.

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:55 am

New style/design is started.
New style for blog links. Old pages for blog links are still there, but may be removed depending on if there is a call to keep them around. Will restyle release info in a similar way.
New style for site menu links.
Hopefully all that I've learned and prototyped will allow more frequent updates.

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:13 am

Footnotes changed to inline footnotes. Now, you don't jump from the middle of a page to the bottom when looking at footnotes. Instead, the footnote shows up right there.

Pages showing only Monthly News have a little different format. Dates of blog posts are normally hidden but shown as tooltips via mouse hover. Each month has its own month label. Monthly News items with other items are shown like the other items.

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:25 am

New style and organization are done for release info pages. It is similar to how the blogs where redone.
Footnotes on the new release page had to be renumbered. (That was an interesting program to write. :shock: )
Again similar to the blog pages, the old release info pages are still there, but may be removed depending on if there is a call to keep them around.

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:05 am

Roadmap: Clem's roadmap files (Roadmap, New Bugs, Triaged, Postponed, Fixed) from GitHub have been converted into an easy-to-read HTML format from raw "preformatted" text. They can be accessed via buttons on the Release Info page just after the Future button.

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:36 pm

timeline

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:11 am

more style changes - sections are divided now by background color

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:31 am

Finally a full FAQ folks! :D

If you have any suggestions on what (else) should be in the:
FAQ
Linux Dictionary for Beginners
Tips & Tricks & Tutorials
then please let me know.

That last one, Tips & Tricks & Tutorials, isn't up yet. What is your favorite Mint or Linux tip? Do you believe any of the tutorials in the Forums or Community Site (or from anywhere) are top-notch and should be linked to? I plan to go through them, but everything takes time, so pointing out good ones would certainly help. Thanks. :)

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:15 am

Tips & Tricks & Tutorials
more than 100 initial tips

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:34 am

I applaud your efforts, and your attention to details such as "Blog comment dated " but my eyes!

Is that straight HTML?

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:44 am

Habitual wrote:I applaud your efforts, and your attention to details such as "Blog comment dated " but my eyes!

Is that straight HTML?
Thanks. :)
It's HTML5 / CSS3 / JavaScript.

If you have any suggestions for a your eyes, please let me know. Personally I'm not a fan of black on white or gray on gray, like so many sites and apps, but I do realize that not everyone sees things the same. I'll think about this issue and try to come up with a suitable solution. I'm guessing the "proper" solution is cookies remembering a user's choice of colors.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:06 am

Jesse654 wrote:I'm guessing the "proper" solution is cookies remembering a user's choice of colors.
Man, you are on fire! :)

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:45 am

I can not read it from a distance. I am viewing on a 40" screen from my recliner and can not read the blue text without getting closer. The white on black text is fine but blue is a no go for me.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:06 am

Ozo wrote:I can not read it from a distance.
I cannot read it on a boat
I cannot read it with a goat
I cannot read it from the dam
I cannot read it, Sam-I-Am.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”