Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Linux Mint 18 codenamed “Sarah”

Post by Reorx »

Back on topic > The first ISOs of Mint 18 have begun testing / tuning (link). RCs should be soon to follow. I am awaiting their arrival with great anticipation... :mrgreen:

Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Seems like I just typed that, if there is ever both a normal and "stripped" version of Mint, I'd probably download the normal one.
austin.texas wrote:What I am most interested in are the new “xapps”
  • A media player based on totem, called xplayer.
  • A text editor based on pluma, called xed.
  • A picture viewer based on eog, called xviewer.
  • A document reader based on atril, called xreader.
These 4 applications will be featured as default in Linux Mint 18, where they will replace totem, gedit, pluma, eog, eom, evince, atril and possibly ristretto.
But you just gave me reason to download a (theretical) one instead. I like evince just fine, I love gedit, and I already use my own choices for audio/video. So I'd just be removing these new apps and installing my own.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
desperados
Level 4
Level 4

Post by desperados »

hi. is there an iso of the Mint 18 (alpha) ? thanks
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

desperados wrote:hi. is there an iso of the Mint 18 (alpha) ? thanks
Yes and no. They are being prepared and tested at the moment. But they are not public. Therefore you can't access it. :wink:
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

I don't think you can get your hands on any alpha ISOs unless you are part of the "inner circle". Once the major bugs are worked out, they will be "promoted" to Release Candidates (RCs or "Beta"s) and RCs usually appear on (at least some of) the mirrors (testing folder) for D/L and testing by a wider audience of the more adventurous Mint users.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

killer de bug wrote:
Yes and no. They are being prepared and tested at the moment. But they are not public. Therefore you can't access it. :wink:
Reorx wrote:I don't think you can get your hands on any alpha ISOs unless you are part of the "inner circle". Once the major bugs are worked out, they will be "promoted" to Release Candidates (RCs or "Beta"s) and RCs usually appear on (at least some of) the mirrors (testing folder) for D/L and testing by a wider audience of the more adventurous Mint users.
That is probably for the best. If things were otherwise, then someone would undoubtedly end up installing the alpha(?) in place of their daily-use OS and then complain if/when disaster struck, lol.

BtW, my earlier comment in regards to these "X" apps (what's up with the designation, anyway? Aren't all GUI (linux) applications running under X windows system or whatever its called?) and why such a thing would cause me to lean toward choosing to install a "core" (without extra apps) version of Mint if one were available was not meant to disparage the work being done on them by their developer(s). I'm just happy with the apps that I am using now and see no reason to change those choices unless/until I one day find myself thinking, "I wish that ("app") had (this or that feature that it lacks)."

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

X has to be seen as the anonymous sign. It means that they are not related to any desktop environment and will look the same in Gnome, Cinnamon, KDE... This unification makes sense. Today, the last version of Evince or Totem look out of place in Cinnamon, as the theme we use doesn't apply to them (CSD).
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

killer de bug wrote:Today, the last version of Evince or Totem look out of place in Cinnamon, as the theme we use doesn't apply to them (CSD).
Not sure I really understand this statement. Mint's themes should support them just fine. The use of header bars doesn't fit everyone's tastes and do seem out of place when mixed and matched with normal apps.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I'm not in front of my system now, but I can post a picture later. Evince doesn't use the close button from Mint-X or Mint-Y theme. It uses a custom X button, much bigger than on the other apps. I doesn't respect the global gtk theme. I will post pictures tonight.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

@JosephM:

Here is the sceenshot.

Evince in background, you can look at the buttons to see what is wrong. Xreader on top, following your new Mint-Y theme. :wink:
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

@killer de bug You run Betsy, correct? I think I've mentioned to you before that Mint-Y will not work properly with gtk3.14 :D
This is how a client side decorated application looks in Mint 18 http://imgur.com/a/FLxG8
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

killer de bug wrote:Evince doesn't use the close button from Mint-X or Mint-Y theme. It uses a custom X button, much bigger than on the other apps. I doesn't respect the global gtk theme.
In my Cinnamon installation, it follows the theme just fine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I have LMDE2, and this is Evince 3.14
Ikke

Post by Ikke »

BigEasy wrote:
The Dark Side wrote:2) I hate at all, the name "Sarah"
I guess, Swanhilda would be better?
Siska, Saskia, Sabella, Sabrina, Samantha, Sandra, Serena, Shakira, Sheila, Stella, Susanna, Silvia and my personal favorite: Salma...
elise_s1

Post by elise_s1 »

Ikke wrote:my personal favorite: Salma...
which, in some languages (eg: italian) means "Corpse". :shock:
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

LM18-Cin64 looks as though it is getting closer to RC status! 52 of 52 cases succeeded - no warnings, no failures! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Reorx on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image Image
Mr.October

Post by Mr.October »

Do you guys really use the name which is given to the distro? I never do that, I only use the version number, like 17.1, 17.2, 17.3, 18.
I'm not a Ubuntu fan, am using SolydK (based on Debian) right now, but what they do with the numbering system is simple but brilliant: year and month of release. So you always know when it was released.

Late summer we will travel in the USA and what I like there so much is the numbering system they have for their highways and Interstates. It is so easy to travel from A to B. But sometime they give the roads names as well and when they use those on the signs I am lost completely. Well, I'll bring my navigation system with me. Need to get home after a month.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Mr.October wrote:Do you guys really use the name which is given to the distro? I never do that, I only use the version number, like 17.1, 17.2, 17.3, 18.
I agree. I don't really see the point of a "pet name" for a distro. I ignore it as much as I can, and I edit it out of my Grub menu.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Mr.October wrote:Do you guys really use the name which is given to the distro?
I love it! It adds some personality to the distro, IMHO. Plus, I get to talk of the distro as a "she" rather than an "it". :)

That being said, I usually add the version number as well, unless I'm talking to someone I know has been around Mint a while and won't be confused by names vs. release numbers.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Ikke

Post by Ikke »

elise_s1 wrote:
Ikke wrote:my personal favorite: Salma...
which, in some languages (eg: italian) means "Corpse". :shock:
I think more of someone like Salma Hayek, dressed in a snake... :P

Return to “Releases & Announcements”