Disc burning

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LamphunLumyai
Level 3
Level 3

Disc burning

Post by LamphunLumyai »

System: Host: Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic i686 (32 bit)
Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca

On Windows I use Image Burn to write an image to disc, create image from disc, write files to disc, create image file from files. What application in Linux Mint will do the same.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mr.October

Re: Disc burning

Post by Mr.October »

Again, you have to write us which edition you are using.
Disc burning programs are, for example, k3b for KDE, brasero for the gnome based versions and xfburn for the xfce desktop.
Stick with the one belonging to your desktop or you will have to install many dependencies which could make your system unstable.
LamphunLumyai
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LamphunLumyai »

Mr.October wrote:Again, you have to write us which edition you are using.
Disc burning programs are, for example, k3b for KDE, brasero for the gnome based versions and xfburn for the xfce desktop.
Stick with the one belonging to your desktop or you will have to install many dependencies which could make your system unstable.
See initial post. Thx.
Mr.October

Post by Mr.October »

LamphunLumyai wrote:
See initial post. Thx.
Gnome distro still doesn't cover it. Which desktop do you use: Mate or Cinnamon? They are both based on Gnome, be it version 2 or 3.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Oh, another slide rule user! :)

I am using LM17.3, Cinnamon, but I have installed Xfburn - it works fine - better than Brasero, and no instabilities as far as I can tell. I think I installed it back on LM17.1.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Mr October is correct - - the Gnome DE is no longer in use,
so the OP would have state a currently used Desktop Environment.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The problem in this case is the fact that the inxi-version, which is installed in LM 17.1 (and before) is not able to identify / name the desktop environment correctly; since LM 17.2 the installed inxi version does a better job. It is not the fault of the user, that this gets shown in a wrong or confusing way.

This means in this case, that the user has Cinnamon.

Regarding the original question: Try the usb tool, that comes with Mint, to be found in the menu -> accessories.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Like slipstick, I recommend xfburn. The best burning application for non-KDE desktops. Excellent for burning iso's. :)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xfburn
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Post by 1.618 »

I have the Mate DE and use Brasero, never had any issues with it so far
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

1.618 wrote:I have the Mate DE and use Brasero, never had any issues with it so far
I believe you. The problem is, that depending from the used hardware and the used media Brasero is likely to fail, as the program and the underlying burning burning backend did not get any updates since many years.

So it is as with several other computer components (e.g. wifi): What works for the one user out of the box does not necessarily work for the next one.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"What application in Linux Mint will do the same." imgburn works under wine. Sad that the author has never made a FLOSS release, but it's a good program.

Return to “Beginner Questions”