Thunderbird - alternatives?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
leadwtZ

Thunderbird - alternatives?

Post by leadwtZ »

Hello,

Well as it says above 'Thunderbird - alternatives?' Does anyone have/use an alternative to T?

I ask because I find T is getting 'clunky'. Various odd things happen with no consistency so I am thinking it may be time to change to something really simple.

Any offers or thoughts on worthwhile programmes that I could try out?

Thanks (from the UK still in Europe at the moment!!). :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: Thunderbird - alternatives?

Post by Habitual »

Without knowing or caring about which Mint flavor/spin/ver...

Have you tried a new profile and/or fewer add-ons (what? Are you crazy?)
One account or more?
POP or IMAP?

Terminal >

Code: Select all

thunderbird --version
?
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

IMAP

And looking at add-ons - minimal although 'Thunderbrowse' may be the problem!!

Others are Adblock and Personas Plus.
Last edited by leadwtZ on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I really like SeaMonkey Mail that comes with the SeaMonkey suite. You can install it manually or through the Ubuntuzilla PPA.
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/ubuntuzilla

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

leadwtZ wrote:38.8.0
That's two question answered out of four asked.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Sylpheed, Claws-Mail, Evolution are some alternatives. After having taken a look at them I found TB at the end the most satisfying solution (although I am not satisfied with every detail).

Note, that you do not have to look. how you transfer your mails from the one client to the other (with POP3 more troublesome as with IMAP), but also how to transfer other things like address-book, filters and other accommodations you might have done in TB.
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

Arh hit the button too soon - the rest are there. Have pity on an old man!!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Don't take it personally... we're just VERY keen to help! :D

tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

leadwtZ wrote:Hello,

Well as it says above 'Thunderbird - alternatives?' Does anyone have/use an alternative to T?

I ask because I find T is getting 'clunky'. Various odd things happen with no consistency so I am thinking it may be time to change to something really simple.

I use MessengerPro. Yes, it is a commercial program but the cost is minimal, with free upgrades. It is simple to use and in the whole time I've used it - about 20 years when it began as a free program - it has never let me down.

It is obtainable from http://www.arsvcs.demon.co.uk/r-comp/me ... osite.html Go to the website and have a browse around.

I attach an image of the main program window,
MessengerPro.png
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

leadwtZ wrote:Hello,

if you want a simpler solution try CLAWS mail. I've played around with it -- as well as with Echelon -- but -- day in day out I use Thunderbird. ICEDOVE -- appears to be identical to Thunderbird -- but named Icedove instead of Thunderbird for ? reason. If I found out Icedove was LINUX ONLY -- and written in C -- I'd adopt it in a heartbeat!

the interesting thing about CLAWS is their attitude that e/mail should just be text,..... if you want to compose in html you'll need to use an external editor -- such as LibreOffice Writer. But if you do that -- go .pdf format!

they do allow a plug-in for reading HTML formatted e/mail -- although I think the plugin might need some work ( it's not bad, at all ).

i find the whole topic interesting, particularly, as for years folks have used e/Mail as an alternative to FTP. Today though I see DROPBOX is becoming more widely used. e/mail all too often has file size limits -- that you might get around, using DROPBOX

all of which leads back to the question: should e/Mail have been designed as an envelop only: i.e. a transport mechanism where ALL messages would need an external editor and be handled as attachments

it seems hardly likely now as it seems most everyone uses the HTML message format.

so, -- before you try CLAWS -- try the Echelon program.

you should find that you have PGP support -- including PGP/MIME in each of these options

as ever: anyone of this forum wishing to practice with PGP feel free to message me. my key is on the keyserver. be sure to use

Code: Select all

MINT Forum GPG Test
as the subject line .
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

mike acker wrote:ICEDOVE -- appears to be identical to Thunderbird -- but named Icedove instead of Thunderbird for ? reason.
Because of some differences about modifications between Mozilla and Debian, which have been solved in this year.

Iceweasel will be again Firefox; if this re-rebranding will also happen for Icedove is unclear - just as the future of Thunderbird is unclear.
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

Well trying out Clawsmail and it suits me very well. Very fast to load unlike Thunderbird although I have no plug-ins loaded yet. May not want any actually - we shall see.

Could not find 'Echelon' unless it it something to do with spying?

I will add that I have my main email interaction via 'Fastmail.com' where I take full advantage of numerous and individually allocated email addresses. If I get 'spammed' then that particular email gets the chop!

Other than that feeling depressed about 'Europe'. :( Did not like the way it is run at all but what a bloody mess we are already seeing with the exit! I may be leaving!! :?:

Back to Linux - Thanks for all the replies - quite an interesting topic it turns out.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

leadwtZ wrote:Well trying out Clawsmail and it suits me very well. Very fast to load unlike Thunderbird although I have no plug-ins loaded yet. May not want any actually - we shall see.

Could not find 'Echelon' unless it it something to do with spying?
{
snip
}
my bad: it should be "Evolution" not "Echelon"

yes: Claws is a quick little kit; I think it's all done in C ( not sure ). If I remember rightly they use the GPGME interface to GPG -- which -- to me is the "right way" -- as opposed to "openPGP" -- which I think is used by T-Bird. there was quite a fuss on the ENIGMAIL list regarding Mozilla's demand to remove all C programming from T-Bird.

C programs rock,-- and that's the bottom line!

I have 2 plug-ins running: GPG and "Fancy". "Fancy" will display HTML formatted messages-- pretty good, mostly.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

mike acker wrote: I have 2 plug-ins running: GPG...
mike: which gpg plugin did you install? I have these as candidates:
v claws-mail-pgpcore -
v claws-mail-pgpcore:i386 -
p claws-mail-pgpinline - PGP/inline plugin for Claws Mail
p claws-mail-pgpinline:i386 - PGP/inline plugin for Claws Mail
p claws-mail-pgpmime - PGP/MIME plugin for Claws Mail
p claws-mail-pgpmime:i386 - PGP/MIME plugin for Claws Mail
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Fred Barclay wrote:
v claws-mail-pgpcore -

i'll check tonite when i have the main system back online. right now i'm working on the reserve system (2) ,...... however I seem to have solved the problem with the NAT connection from my Virtual Win 8.1 to my MINT 17.3

i need to get busy and assemble another box so i can learn to properly partition my disk. if i understand things right i should be able to have a /root partition with the o/s in it and then add a /home partition for all my data

alternatively i might give Clem's backup program another shot

if memory serves though i think the CLAWS plug-ins are just marked GPG and FANCY; i think i had to activate the FANCY; the GPG -- i think may have been installed by the package manager ( "ppa" ? ) .
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Fred Barclay wrote:
v claws-mail-pgpcore -
(emphasis added)

you might need the pgpcore too; stick to the 64 bit stuff;

this is what shows on my installation of CLAWS
claws-plug.png
NOTE: I don't recommend attempting to use GPG without MIME,-- although,-- in the case of CLAWS,-- if you stick to their text only concept, -- with no attachments, -- you might get by with it.....

PGP/MIME -- is a container: all the content of your message is "mimed" and then encrypted and/or signed and then sent. works like a charm; i do not recommend attempting to use GPG mail without PGP/MIME.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Some places to look:
  • Linux Mint's Software Manager and type in email
  • alternativeto is kind of a neat site. Enter thunderbird and it will show you alternatives. It appears to indicate if software is obsolete/maintained or not.
  • There's always a wiki comparison.
I use Thunderbird on KDE. I don't use kmail. Before that thebat on Windows and alpine on unix. I've seen a lot about Claws.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

I didn't see MessengerPro in the email wiki or alternativeto.
tenfoot, do you know what it is written in to run on, Microsoft Windows, Linux and Mac OS? Does it require java or mono?
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

lmuserx4849 wrote:I didn't see MessengerPro in the email wiki or alternativeto.
tenfoot, do you know what it is written in to run on, Microsoft Windows, Linux and Mac OS? Does it require java or mono?
That's probably because it is a commercial program, inasmuch as you have to buy it. although you have a 30 days free trial to make up your mind!

A version is available for RiscOS. Windows, MacOs, and Linux. It can be downloaded from http://www.intellegit.com/download/

The version I use is 2.72.0.4137 and you will find it under Ubuntu (Trusty) There are versions for x32 and x64 architectures. I have found that versions later than the one I use do not play nicely with LM17.3 but that may change with Sarah.

As mentioned, you can try it for 30 days and if you decide to buy it you must go to the RComp website at
http://www.arsvcs.demon.co.uk/r-comp/me ... rosite.htm and do so. On receipt of your money, they will email you an unlock key.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I've been using this for about 20 years. I have tried all the others listed in Synaptic but in my view MessengerPro is "the BEST" :D
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

Having started this I thought I should say what I am using now. (Presumptuous I know :wink: )

So 'Claws' is it and I find it suits me very well with not too many options. I just want a simple email programme without calenders and the like although even if an app. has these you do not have to use them - but I see them as bloat.

Having said that the note by Imuserx4849 regarding 'alternativeto' has opened a can of worms so i am looking at some of the apps. there. However assuming the other half is happy with Claws i think I will stay with that.

Moving on looking forward to Mint 18 and the new Mate. :D

Return to “Open Chat”