Installing linux-lowlatency in Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SETHANATH
Level 3
Level 3

Installing linux-lowlatency in Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon.

Post by SETHANATH »

Hi,

I would like to install linux-lowlatency in Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon. From "Update Manager", I can see that I have kernel 3.19.0-32 installed and is being used. I did the following command "sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency linux-headers-lowlatency", and I could see that the installation was successful.

Afterward, I can see from grub-customizer now that I have these entries.
- Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit, with Linux 3.19.0-32-generic.
- Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit, with Linux 3.19.0-32-generic (recovery mode).
- Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit, with Linux 3.13.0-88-lowlatency.
- Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit, with Linux 3.13.0-88-lowlatency (recovery mode).

My question to you is, if I reboot my computer, I would be using the first entry with kernel 3.19.0-32-generic. However, I want to see and use kernel 3.19.0-32-lowlatency, instead.

I hope someone can help.

Please also note that while I was using the command "sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency linux-headers-lowlatency", I could see that the kernel 3.13.0-88 were being used during the installation. I really believe that Linux Mint repositories were wrong and need to be corrected to point to the kernel 3.19.0-32.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DeMus

Re: Installing linux-lowlatency in Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon.

Post by DeMus »

When you want to start option in the list do this:

Open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
Type your password and the text file is opened.
Almost at the top you see this:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=1
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -d -s 2>/dev/null || echo SolydXK`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
Change

GRUB_DEFAULT=0 in to GRUB_DEFAULT=2
Don't mind the other lines, they can be slightly different in your PC.

Save and close the file and type in the terminal:

sudo update-grub
Now the next time you boot the computert it will start the 3rd item (computers start to count at 0, so nr 2 is the 3rd item) from the list.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

Mint official kernel for 17.3 is version 3.19.0-32-generic only. Other kernels available from official repositories are supported by Ubuntu.

For a 3.19 low latency kernel series install package linux-lowlatency-lts-vivid
For a 4.2 low latency kernel series install package linux-lowlatency-lts-wily
For a 4.4 low latency kernel series install package linux-lowlatency-lts-xenial
SETHANATH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SETHANATH »

Thank you. I also notice that I can customize the option to boot from grub customizer as well.
Now, I only need to fix this kernel 3.19.0-32-generic to be 3.19.0-32-latency.

I hope someone can help.
SETHANATH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SETHANATH »

Thank you both of you. Everything works perfectly now.
SETHANATH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SETHANATH »

One more thing, please. I am also looking for linux-lowlatency-pae.
I tried the following command, but it did not work.

$ sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency-pae-lts-vivid

Thanks.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

Available low latency kernels have the PAE feature enabled.
SETHANATH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SETHANATH »

I see. A few more questions, please.

From "Linux Kernels - Update Manager", I used to see that I would have kernel locked to 3.19.0-32 year round. I could also see from the columns "Loaded", "Recommended", and "Installed" that they would be checked. However, after using this command '$ sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency-lts-vivid', my OS would no longer lock the kernel to any same number, and it would keep upgrading. It actually was booted with kernel 3.19.0-64-lowlatency, just now. I also believe that my OS would not upgrade the kernel beyond 3.19 series.

Please help me understand this.

Thanks.

I also notice that by using lowlatency kernel my laptop screen would be super bright. I need to set the brightness to lower by the following command.

$ gksudo leafpad /etc/rc.local
and added the statement "echo 3 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness" before the statement "exit 0".
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

SETHANATH wrote:However, after using this command '$ sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency-lts-vivid', my OS would no longer lock the kernel to any same number, and it would keep upgrading.
When installing the meta package linux-lowlatency-lts-vivid the system installs kernel & headers 3.19.0-64-lowlatency as dependencies. When for some reasons Ubuntu update it's meta package kernel & headers installed are automatically updated. To avoid this behavior remove the meta packages, the system will stick to current kernel version installed:

apt purge linux-lowlatency-lts-vivid linux-image-lowlatency-lts-vivid linux-headers-lowlatency-lts-vivid
SETHANATH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SETHANATH »

I see. Now, I got to keep kernel 3.19.0-64-lowlatency, which is perfect. However, since I am keeping lowlatency kernel, I think I should keep thermald as well. Would it still being used in the system, though, since I am seeing this "thermald is no longer required"? I would hope it is still working within the system.

$ apt purge linux-lowlatency-lts-vivid linux-image-lowlatency-lts-vivid linux-headers-lowlatency-lts-vivid
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
thermald
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
linux-headers-lowlatency-lts-vivid* linux-image-lowlatency-lts-vivid*
linux-lowlatency-lts-vivid*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 82.9 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
I also notice that by using lowlatency kernel my laptop screen would be super bright. I need to set the brightness to lower by the following command.

$ gksudo leafpad /etc/rc.local
and added the statement "echo 3 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness" before the statement "exit 0".
If I want to let developers know, how I should do this?
When installing the meta package linux-lowlatency-lts-vivid the system installs kernel & headers 3.19.0-64-lowlatency as dependencies. When for some reasons Ubuntu update it's meta package kernel & headers installed are automatically updated.
Such kernel update would still remain within its kernel series right, which is 3.19 in this case?
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

SETHANATH wrote:I see. Now, I got to keep kernel 3.19.0-64-lowlatency, which is perfect. However, since I am keeping lowlatency kernel, I think I should keep thermald as well. Would it still being used in the system, though, since I am seeing this "thermald is no longer required"? I would hope it is still working within the system.
Change thermald status to manually installed:

apt install thermald
If I want to let developers know, how I should do this?
See this page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
Such kernel update would still remain within its kernel series right, which is 3.19 in this case?
Correct.
DrM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DrM »

Laurent85 wrote:Mint official kernel for 17.3 is version 3.19.0-32-generic only. Other kernels available from official repositories are supported by Ubuntu.

For a 3.19 low latency kernel series install package linux-lowlatency-lts-vivid
For a 4.2 low latency kernel series install package linux-lowlatency-lts-wily
For a 4.4 low latency kernel series install package linux-lowlatency-lts-xenial
When I install the linux-lowlatency-lts-xxxx package, will the kernel always be sticked to low-latency when I upgrade the kernel to the newest version available within the Linux Mint's UpdateManager?

Return to “Beginner Questions”