Scroll Bar Elevator click action

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
EmeryGrantier
Level 1
Level 1

Scroll Bar Elevator click action

Post by EmeryGrantier »

The scroll bar once had single line clickable arrows at the top and bottom, but they are gone.

Until recently clicking in the space above or below the elevator on the scroll bar was the same as doing a Page Up or Page Down. In some applications and lists this has changed. It now moves the elevator to the location of the click.

I liked it when the line up and down and the page up and down functions could be done with either the keyboard or the mouse. Scrolling to a specific location in the list could be done by dragging the elevator. It now appears that the line & page up/down navigation can only be done with the keyboard. It also appears that there are two ways to go to a specific location with the elevator, dragging or clicking.

I would suggest that having both a keyboard and mouse way to do each navigation task is desirable (line & page up/down). I would also suggest that having two mouse ways to do one navigation task is redundant (scroll by dragging & clicking).

Is anyone else having the same experience? Could we please go back to having both keyboard and mouse ways to do all navigation tasks?

CapnGimp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Scroll Bar Elevator click action

Post by CapnGimp »

I have had this problem about two months. It only gets worse. Now the entire page scrolls up/down or jitters from time to time on its own regardless of being in browser, file manger, pdf, text, etc. I have LMDE2 and it is the ONLY os this occurs on. 17.3 mint, win7 nor any 'multiboot' oses I use have this problem. I use this exclusively for email, research, browsing etc and really hate to give it up but I can find NOTHING on it. Afraid to ask because of all the 'search before you ask' replies. Good luck getting it fixed, if ya do, post and tell me what you did! :|

I can navigate with the keyboard though, I use the computer from my bed and use the mouse for sole control unless typing the password when asked(high paraplegic) so it is a hassle to use keyboard for physical reasons. I spend an inordinate amount of time at the computer.

songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by songhuijohn »

The problem of the missing arrow buttons on the scrollbar is directly related to the theme you choose. Unfortunately none of the Cinnamon themes contain these arrow buttons. To get a theme that contains arrow buttons, I had to install the Mate themes and then select for controls the Mate theme of ContrastHigh in the Themes screen under Systems Settings.

You find and install the Mate themes by using the Software Manager and search for theme and then installing the mate-themes.

This is how I fixed this problem - there maybe other themes that fix this problem.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, Mobo MSI A68HM Grenade, AMD A8-7600, 4GIG DDR3 1600, SSD Patriot Blast 120 GB

CapnGimp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CapnGimp »

I just saw your reply, thank you for taking the time to post it! I dislike the high contrast 'plain' themes, so I won't change it. That said, I am trying to get around to reloading this computer asap. I have multiple drives, many partitions, 4 oses and a drive with a multiboot-array of oses in this tower. I have a few quadcore computers that I will distribute some of this mess between-it has been an ongoing necessity to do this for about a year now. Too many hobbies, research interests and work spread between the drives<arrrgh!> :lol: Just as soon as I fix my truck, I will get around to a fresh reload, back when windows was my main os, I did it one or two times a year lol. This scroll problem is my only real problem in all the years I have been using linux in any of its versions :D Once again, appreciate your help!

songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by songhuijohn »

Another Mate theme that includes the arrow buttons is BLUEMENTA - take a look at that.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, Mobo MSI A68HM Grenade, AMD A8-7600, 4GIG DDR3 1600, SSD Patriot Blast 120 GB

EmeryGrantier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EmeryGrantier »

Thank you for the two "theme" suggestions. I installed the MATE themes using the Software Manager, but they never showed up in my System Settings Theme dialog.

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

@EmeryGrantier - rather than replying to 4 year old threads if you want scrollbar steppers in current Mint versions look here - viewtopic.php?p=1697673#p1697673
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”