[SOLVED] CPU Fan Speed, CPU is overheating

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Spendoza
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] CPU Fan Speed, CPU is overheating

Post by Spendoza » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Hi folks
I'm running Linux Mint 17.1 and with the rising summer temps, my CPU is getting warmer too. I notice my fan isn't going at full speed, seems to be hovering around 85 degrees and 800RPM.
I have purchased a superior heatsink/fan unit for my cpu, but while I wait for it to arrive, how do I set my CPU fan speed to MAX (or maybe 90%)?
lm-sensors is not working for me, as I apparently have no pwm-capable sensor modules.
I just want to crank up my cpu fan speed until my new fan system arrives!
Thank you for any assistance you can give.

UPDATE The old CPU cooling system was a cheapo $15 3-pin fan and aluminum heat sink. Upgraded to 4-pin CoolMaster Hyper212 Evo (see last post). Never again will I cheap out on cooling systems. Lesson learned.
Last edited by Spendoza on Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spendoza
Level 1
Level 1

Re: CPU Fan Speed

Post by Spendoza » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:04 pm

And the computer shut itself down due to overheating cpu with the fan running at 800 rpm the whole time.
I noticed while monitoring with xsenspors that when the fan was running at 1300+rpm the temp was around 60-65 degrees, but for no apparent reason the speed dropped to 800 and stayed there as the cpu got hotter and hotter...
Any ideas how to diagnose and fix this problem?

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Re: CPU Fan Speed, CPU is overheating

Post by trytip » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:25 pm

i'm assuming you ran sudo sensors-detect for sensors to start? did you actually open up the case and dust it out? is there a bios setting for your fan?

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: CPU Fan Speed

Post by Arch_Enemy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:59 pm

Spendoza wrote:And the computer shut itself down due to overheating cpu with the fan running at 800 rpm the whole time.
I noticed while monitoring with xsenspors that when the fan was running at 1300+rpm the temp was around 60-65 degrees, but for no apparent reason the speed dropped to 800 and stayed there as the cpu got hotter and hotter...
Any ideas how to diagnose and fix this problem?
I wound up buying a new motherboard. That was a few years ago, it was a Biostar that ran fine for a long time, but then one year as soon as the outside temp would get >85F it would shut down, even in an air conditioned room!

I got a bigger heatsink and used some fresh shin etsu paste, and then it would wait for 90 degrees to shut down. :(

New Gigabyte Mobo solved the problem. It's still running, and that was 6 years ago.

Hint...if you know this, ignore: don't slather the paste on. To a certain extent, thinner is often better.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Spendoza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Spendoza » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:53 pm

trytip wrote:i'm assuming you ran sudo sensors-detect for sensors to start?
Yes, I cannot remember the exact wording, but the only thing it detected was it87. When I tried to run any fancontrol programs, it gave me the old Error: Can't read configuration file.
did you actually open up the case and dust it out?
Oh yeah, that's one thing I'm always on top of. Have a huge fan sucking air in and a few sucking air out too, lots of airflow.
is there a bios setting for your fan?
Yeah, the Cool'n'Quiet thing the Asus mobos use, it's set to go to max speed at 60 degrees

Arch_Enemy, you're probably right, I just can't afford a new mobo for a few weeks yet.
I'm just glad I have my Raspberry Pi, can still watch shows while i figure this cpu temp thing out.

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:18 am

reset your bios to default and check the fan speed in bios. could be bad wires unplug the cpu fan then plug it in.

Spendoza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Spendoza » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:08 pm

trytip wrote:reset your bios to default and check the fan speed in bios. could be bad wires unplug the cpu fan then plug it in.
No change, still runs at ~800rpm. It might be bad wires on the cpu fan, I guess we'll find out when my new fan arrives in a few days. Heck, if I end up needing a new mobo, might upgrade to 18!
Edit: I should probably also mention my mobo is approximately 5 years old, it owes me nothing, I'm just incredibly cheap.

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:25 pm

no shame in that my tower is 10 years old, recently changed thermal paste in my cpu and gpu. i don't spend too much time on my new laptop. i regularly recode videos in handbrake for at least 4 years and my cpu fan is at 3500RPM for hours, hasn't failed me yet. maybe turn off cool n' quiet see what happens ... good luck

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:48 pm

Spendoza wrote:
trytip wrote:reset your bios to default and check the fan speed in bios. could be bad wires unplug the cpu fan then plug it in.
No change, still runs at ~800rpm. It might be bad wires on the cpu fan, I guess we'll find out when my new fan arrives in a few days. Heck, if I end up needing a new mobo, might upgrade to 18!
Edit: I should probably also mention my mobo is approximately 5 years old, it owes me nothing, I'm just incredibly cheap.
Yeah...me too....

The only reason the other system is a test mule is because about 4-5 years ago when I was a Dell Rep I walked into one place and they were decommissioning a server, and the guy looks at me and says, "You want a quad core Xeon?" (~i960...?) Let's see...12M cache...yeah, why not? I was perfectly happy with my Gigabyte E63(?) OC'd to 3.5G, but when I went to look for Xeon MoBos... :shock: They were disappearing! I got an Intel for $160, and used a lot of other parts from other machines, and I just happened to luck out and have an nvidia 660GT monster fall in my lap from a guy who was sending back his Alienware and ordered it special. The Xeon is a 2.67GHz chip, but it has been running rock-steady at 4.2GHz since assembly. W00T!

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:52 pm

I just had to go through the clean-it repaste-it mister-sheen-service with a Dell 760 (an oldie from 2008) it turned out my "Thermal Event" shutdown was a flat 2032 button cell. That's not a bad life-span for a Lithium Cell; shame the BIOS got it wrong.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Spendoza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Spendoza » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:10 pm

CoolMaster Hyper212 Evo, $42 Canadian after tax and shipping, arrived yesterday morning from Amazon. (excuse the picture quality, used a Web based resizer, did the trick)
Sitting at a steady 37-41 degrees now. I'd call this Solved... At least until I can cobble together a new rig. :wink:

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:29 pm

Spendoza wrote:Image
CoolMaster Hyper212 Evo, $42 Canadian after tax and shipping, arrived yesterday morning from Amazon. (excuse the picture quality, used a Web based resizer, did the trick)
Sitting at a steady 37-41 degrees now. I'd call this Solved... At least until I can cobble together a new rig. :wink:
I don't think you could have done much better (that's what I have on my Xeon ;) )

The fan did go bad after 3 years, but you can fit another fan no problem. I'm overclocked by ~80% :shock: and it keeps it <60 degrees.

don250r
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] CPU Fan Speed, CPU is overheating

Post by don250r » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:24 pm

I have that cooler on my i5-2500k, but with a fan on the other side as well in a push-pull configuration.
It helps for overclocking, especially under a heavy load like prime95.
100% on all 4 cores and still <70C
Mint 18 Cinnamon, 4.6.3 kernel
Intel i5-2500k@4.8GHz
16 Gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX670

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED] CPU Fan Speed, CPU is overheating

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:53 am

don250r wrote:I have that cooler on my i5-2500k, but with a fan on the other side as well in a push-pull configuration.
It helps for overclocking, especially under a heavy load like prime95.
100% on all 4 cores and still <70C

Yes indeed! I put the other fan in the case, they matched right up. Works slick!

Return to “Newbie Questions”