Reseting Bios

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Georgia boy
Level 2
Level 2

Reseting Bios

Post by Georgia boy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:48 am

I've got a question for you on bios settings and Mint. I've read in some forums on bios where Windows 8 or 8.1 has a setting where you can adjust the bios from there. Is that something that is done here also? Reason for this is I was testing some Live DVD's one night. One booted right up. One booted to a spot asking for password. Couldn't remember and tried to get out of it. Wound up taking dvd out of drive and rebooting machine. Tried other one again and worked. Next night I tried them again after finding the password for that one. Machine booted right into Mint instead of the disk drive first. Kept trying with same results. At first thought something wrong with drive but went into bios and found that the setting was for HD to boot first.

Since I hadn't messed with the bios settings and after reading about Windows having that capability I got to wondering if Mint does and that I might had messed with that setting w/o knowing it would change bios to boot straight to HD OS.

Does Mint have that capability to do this? I'm using Latest Mint Xfce.

Thanks
Debian testing
Hp Pav a1440n
820 Intel Pent D procces 2 process cores, 2.0GB mem,250GB HD, NVIDA GeForce 7300LE, Intel ViiV.
ASUS A53SD-TS72 Intel Cor i7-2670QM 2.20GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M, Mint LMDE2 64 bit.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Reseting Bios

Post by Fred Barclay » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:38 am

I don't believe that Mint has that capability.
Actually, I didn't know Windows did either. Guess I've fallen behind times... :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:59 am

the windows system itself can't do that,
but some software programs that do run on the windows platform can indeed to that.

there probably won't be any Linux based programs that can do that, though.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Georgia boy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Georgia boy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:42 pm

I forgot what forum I was reading that in. I was researching the issue I was having when I came across that bit about someone being told in Win 8.1 to go to their start button and pull up something and go into bios to reset something. Couldn't believe it. So got to wondering if something like that was in Mint and other distros also.
Wasn't sure if doable or not so thought would ask. Still trying to figure out what the heck happened with mine getting reset like that. Someone told me that it could have had some kind of surge to it and caused a glitch. But at least now I know that if I'm trying out a 'Live' DVD sometime later and it boots straight to the installed OS to go and check if the bios settings got reset again somehow.
Debian testing
Hp Pav a1440n
820 Intel Pent D procces 2 process cores, 2.0GB mem,250GB HD, NVIDA GeForce 7300LE, Intel ViiV.
ASUS A53SD-TS72 Intel Cor i7-2670QM 2.20GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M, Mint LMDE2 64 bit.

Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:22 pm

In certain instances, you can alter your UEFI settings from within Windows.

On Toshiba laptops, for instance, about the only way to get into the UEFI setup is via Windows (shift-restart, advanced settings IIRC).

Toshiba also does this thing where no matter what, Windows will boot when you try to do multiple-OS installation. Took me quite a while to figure out what they were doing.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.

Georgia boy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Georgia boy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:27 am

That had to suck. Glad you were able to figure out what was going on with that Windows booting constantly like that. I'm glad I got rid of Windows. Now that I had given back my company laptop I don't ahve any Windows system to come into the house. :D
Just not needed.
Debian testing
Hp Pav a1440n

Return to “Newbie Questions”