32 0r 64?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

32 0r 64?

Post by keithp »

I have been reading the 32bit versus 64bit argument on another thread and it has made me a bit confused (no pun intended) :?

If I have read the postings correctly, dual core processors are 64bit.

I have an Asus P4P800S-X motherboard with dual Pentium4 2.8GHz processors. I thought that this was a 32bit set-up, but the above thread has made me wonder. I can't find which it is from the motherboard manual or from the Asus website.

Please, how can I find out if I am 32bit or 64bit?

Many thanks

Keith
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dizmoduck
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 32 0r 64?

Post by dizmoduck »

On Intel's website I think you can say that your CPU are indeed 64bit
Scalability and performance with Intel® EM64TΦ
Intel® Extended Memory 64 TechnologyΦ (Intel® EM64T) can improve performance by allowing the system to address more than 4 GB of both virtual and physical memory. Intel EM64T also provides support for 64 bit computing to help handle the applications of tomorrow.
http://www.intel.com/products/processor ... /index.htm

I have a AMD 5000 black edition and I'm wating for Mint 6 x64 edition to be finish, but meenwail I test the update of the 32bit i install now

mary x-mas
---
Venlig Hilsen / Kind Regards
/dizmoduck

- live your dreams, don't dream your life
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

dizmoduck

Many thanks for your reply.

Sorry, but I didn't think of looking on the Intel website :oops:

When the 64 bit version of Mint comes out, I will do some comparisons between the two versions.

Cheers

Keith
dizmoduck
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dizmoduck »

I can't recommended doing a update, my linuxmint 5 crass total :shock:

but i gave me a change to mount thing right way fist time and now i'm using UUID in GRUB and FSTAB so no problem living a Memory stick in the USB port

/home - /tmp - swap on different hard disk

Do a clean install as you do with M$ Windows
---
Venlig Hilsen / Kind Regards
/dizmoduck

- live your dreams, don't dream your life
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

keithp wrote:I have an Asus P4P800S-X motherboard with dual Pentium4 2.8GHz processors.
Those are 64bit processors. Quick test: burn a 64bit Ubuntu CD and try to install it. If your CPU is not 64bit, it will refuse to install and tell you why.

But do you NEED a 64bit OS or is this a "gee whiz look what I can do" sort of thing? Unless your hardware is new, your configuration solid, and your hardware supported 100% by native kernel modules, I'm leery of 64bit right now. On the right hardware, it can be great. But the right hardware includes gobs of RAM. The 32bit-generic kernel can't recognise more than 4gb. The 32bit-server kernel and the 64bit-generic kernels can both address more than this. So do you need a 64bit kernel to address gobs of ram? Not necessarily.

64bit on a desktop. Laptop? May be capable of 64bit, but wifi and suspend/resume are the gremlins you face and too many of the wifi solutions involve ndiswrapper and Win98 drivers.
cyberglyph

Post by cyberglyph »

So when I install 4 gig of memory in linux Mint 32 it wont see the full 4 gig? Do I have to erase my HD with mint 32 to reinstall the 64 bit version? I hope not. Let me know. Thanks guys/gals.

Return to “Beginner Questions”