Linux Mint or Debian with Cinnamon DE?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rambozore

Linux Mint or Debian with Cinnamon DE?

Post by Rambozore »

Hello,
I just wanted to ask, what you guys think of Debian with Cinnamon desktop-environment? I find myself switching back and forth between Linux Mint and Debian; to me it's just the same, except Mint has more up-to-date packages, but Debian has stability. Anyone here also has Debian with Cinnamon DE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Chiefahol

Re: Linux Mint or Debian with Cinnamon DE?

Post by Chiefahol »

It's very similar! I too hop between them regularly.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Why not Linux Mint Debian Edition, or is that what you're using?
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

MintBean wrote:Why not Linux Mint Debian Edition, or is that what you're using?
Isn't it kinda just Debian with a LM theme? I never really considered it to be honest.
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

Chiefahol wrote:Isn't it kinda just Debian with a LM theme? I never really considered it to be honest.
I am a long-time user of LMDE myself, and had to examine this issue more closely recently. 'LMDE' is not a choice of distro to run with 'crouton' on a Chromebook, but I wanted to get as close as I could to it -- so I installed Debian (Jessie) and Cinnamon, along with a few 'Mint' extras. In the end, I didn't need to install *all* the extra Mint packages in order to be satisfied :)
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
preppie22

Post by preppie22 »

Personally, I kinda liked LMDE. I haven't actually tried Debian with Cinnamon, but I don't know how different that would be. I have an old PC running as a media server of sorts at home which runs LMDE. Of course, it's mostly running on the CLI, but I hardly ever turn it off.

My laptop runs LM 18 Cinnamon and I mostly use it for coding AVR chips, some Qt coding, and occasionally some gaming on Steam. If you ask me, both are just as good. One could argue that Debian is more stable, but then again, I haven't seen LM 17 or LM 18 crash either.
venik212
Level 1
Level 1

Post by venik212 »

I have been using Lubuntu with the Cinnamon DE for a couple of years, and love it-- it is super fast, has nice support for my HiDPI screen, and sensible menus. Machines where I run MINT with Cinnamon, on the other hand, are slower, and upgrading across major releases (17 to 18) is discouraged or difficult. On Lubuntu/Cinnamon when 16.04 rolled out,, I just clicked Upgrade Distribution and every setting and bit of data was there when it was done. Much easier than the MINT path.
Why do we need Mint, then?

Return to “Beginner Questions”