Cheapo SD Card File Size Help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Cheapo SD Card File Size Help

Post by gibbs1984 »

HI,

Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64bit (about to upgrade to 18)

I bought a cheap 128gb SD Card off the internet, it was only a few quid so thought why not as even if it's rubbish it's only a few quid wasted.

It's formatted in exFAT as it's for my Android phone. I formatted it through my Android phone and the phone sees the card and sees the size as 128gb.

I installed the below to make Mint mount the SD Card with a SD Card reader:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install exfat-utils exfat-fuse
Mint mounts the SD Card perfectly apart from it sees the SD Card as only a 31gb card.

Code: Select all

Device Boot         Start     End       Blocks           Id  System
/dev/sdc1           32768   262146047   131056640    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
Although at the bottom of Nemo it says there's 134gb of free space:

How do I truly identify the size of my SD Card and will these issues cause me issues down the line?

Is there a way to determine if there's any issues with the SD Card?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cheapo SD Card File Size Help

Post by Webtest »

gibbs1984 ...

My advice is to run "Fake Flash Finder" on it ... f3read and f3write are the easiest to run, but if you run them out to the finish, it takes a VERY long time. I bought a "slightly cheaper" 128 GB 'SanDisk' on eBay for $30 and tested it immediately when I received it. First I ran f3write, and then f3read identified it as a counterfeit card with only about 16 GB available in less than 2 hours, but I let the test continue to run to the end ... that took several more hours. I used that information on eBay and I got a full refund and didn't even have to send back the card. If you want it you can have it. I went out to Best Buy and got a new Samsung EVO class 10 for $45, and it tested out to 128 GB perfectly, as expected.

Here is the information on "f3". It is easy to compile and run. It will tell you exactly which blocks are operable. You can even run it in the native exFAT if you load the exFAT extension program ... that's what I did but I seem to have lost that information at the moment :
digirati
FixFakeFlash

Good luck ... 16 and 32 GB sd cards are so cheap here in the states (when on sale) that it isn't worth playing with counterfeit junk.

Blessings in abundance, all the best, & ENJOY!
Art in Carlisle, PA USA
BOAT - a hole in the water that you pour money into
LINUX - a hole in your life that you pour TIME into

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Webtest wrote:16 and 32 GB sd cards are so cheap here in the states (when on sale) that it isn't worth playing with counterfeit junk.
I agree that buying on the net (specially from ebay) is risky and one could end with cheap "junk", but outside USA, where many people live, memories are usual more expensive.
After some bad experiences I decided not to buy memories from ebay anymore. Some other online stores are more reliable, like Aliexpress, but is mandatory to double check the buyers' feedbacks. :)
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

if it was formatted with an android you may not be seeing any extra partitions that are hidden. what does gparted tell you
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

Here is some information on loading exFAT support into Linux. I think this is exactly the information I used when I tested my cards and it worked without any problems.
How to Mount and Use an exFAT Drive on Linux

Blessings in abundance, all the best, & ENJOY!
Art in Carlisle PA USA
BOAT - a hole in the water that you pour money into
LINUX - a hole in your life that you pour TIME into

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"apart from it sees the SD Card as only a 31gb card" Pish and Tosh I say. It says "Blocks 131056640" which means 131056640kiB or 134GB, just as Nemo is reporting.

In itself that's a bit odd, all my removable stores have slightly less than the capacity stamped on the package. This is my 2015 Sandisk Ultra Fit 64GB...
Disk /dev/sdc: 57.9 GiB, 62109253632 bytes
...so with a 128GB device I would expect to see something like 124GB free in Nemo.

All the fake-flash seems to revolve around 8GB reject chips and reprogrammed controllers. Tools like fdisk and gparted are helpless with a lying-weasel-chip. Just try filling it up with JPG pictures, which are very sensitive to bad-bits. The grosser symptoms of address wrap-around, like folders vanishing and file names getting scrambled, are easy to spot too.

This link...

https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/K ... CardSurvey

...from flashbench points to further links and information about real and fake storage devices. This one is an especially nasty "SSD" pod...

http://cdn.overclock.net/9/9b/9b2baf6a_original.jpeg
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Apologies for the late response, been setting up Linux Mint 18 and after accidentally deleting my backup of packages it took me most of the night to reinstall everything :D

Thanks for all the replies, I knew getting a cheap SD Card wouldn't be without problems but I thought I could maybe fix them but it seems it's a waste of time.

I still have my 32gb San Disk SD Card which I'm currently using and I'll look to invest in a proper 128gb SD Card.

Oh well, only £3 down the drain.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”