Have decided on Mint, version question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
crookedmouth
Level 1
Level 1

Have decided on Mint, version question

Post by crookedmouth » Tue May 31, 2016 7:04 pm

Hey everyone,

First my history. After many years of using Windows(since 1997), I have decided to drop it and go purely Linux. The reasons for this are many but the greatest is purely, I want owner-ship over my PC and feel that with Windows 8 and now 10 this is impossible. I choose freedom and honestly this has been a long time coming. I'm not exactly a Linux noob having built a battery powered portable raspberry pi handheld computer/gaming device.

Anyway after trying Ubuntu, Zorin, Mint and some others, I find Mint will suit me and my children fine. I know it seems foolish perhaps but I just want to choose a distro and stick with it. Most people say Ubuntu and honestly from all accounts it's ability to upgrade should sway me but I don't know why but I hate the feel of it plus for some reason it seems like it's sort of turning Microsofty.

The Questions:

1. I had decided to wait for Mint 18 and make the switch. Is this a bad idea to switch straight to a beta? I just don't want to set up 17.3 then not be able to upgrade to 18. 18 sounds great to me.

2. I have built a brand new PC with an i5 Skylake, am I going to have trouble with hardware compatibility?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Have decided on Mint, version question

Post by Cosmo. » Tue May 31, 2016 7:18 pm

@ #1:
Yes, it is a bad idea, if you mean to use it for production. A beta is a beta, because it may contain bugs (and usually it does). If they would definitely not be there the beta would not make a sense. This is a major release change, so bugs are even more likely.

I would use the time until LM 18 is ready for the final release to get used with Mint - by using LM 17.3. There is definitely much to explore and if you install it to play with it, but you can later make a new installation, the time will not be wasted. In contrast to Microsoft Mint is not known to believe, that the wheel must be reinvented with every new version. Some things will surely change, but not the complete look and feel. So the time with LM 17.3 is not wasted time.

You did not mention, which desktop environment (aka edition) you want to use. So you can take the time to make this decision.

crookedmouth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crookedmouth » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:01 am

Thanks for the reply and advice.

Mr.October
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mr.October » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:12 am

What Cosmo wrote here is so true, but there is something more:
When LinuxMint 18, the final version, appears don't immediately jump into it. Even the final versions will have bugs which will be straightened out in the first 1-2 weeks. Then, when you see many people here writing about how great it is, that it is "bugfree" it is time to install it.

Unless, you want to be part of the group who helps the developers to make the new version even better than it is already, then you can install it right now and reports bugs. That's how things are done with Linux. But be aware that you might have crashes.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:57 am

LinuxMint-18 won't be released for, maybe, another month, at least.

in the meantime. do install LM 17x so that you can get familiar with the Mint project.
- all of the 17x version are based on the same base model.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:49 am

I would wait for LM18 Cinnamon edition. With the 17.x version, the kernel may not handle well your hardware and you will have to make your hands dirty immediately. It may not be the best start.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:21 am

As killer de bug says. Brand new hardware needs a brand new Linux kernel. Only Mint 18 has that.

I advise to try Mint 18 bèta, but only in the live session ("try without installing"). That should provide you with a slow, but usable desktop. I expect the bèta to be released within a week or so. The iso's have nearly completed testing:
https://community.linuxmint.com/iso

When the final Mint 18 appears, in about a month, you can install that. As Mint 18 will be built on the stable and tested Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which has been released in April, it's unlikely that it'll contain any serious bugs. So I wouldn't wait any more then. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:06 am

I always suggest new users test any Linux thoroughly on persistent live USB for a few weeks on any machine to learn the ropes and find issues of hardware compatibility, especially before wiping another OS that is working. There's no discussion by the OP about how Mint was decided on, but here is one of several good Windows apps to create a persistent (saves updates and changes between reboots) Live USB to thoroughly shake it out on each potential device:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/

An 8gb USB with 3gb of persistence should run well and allow mounting of the Windows C: drive in the file manager to access personal and media files stored on it, and will allow try out of peripherals like printers and monitors, saving time and headaches, with no risk of mucking up the hard drive. The final hard drive installation can be done from the same live USB stick.

My personal experience has been that while I like Cinnamon best, it has problems on some hardware that XFCE and MATE do not. I'm looking forward to Mint 18 to refresh software for several more years, but not going to install it on anything without a thorough live USB test drive.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. M18.3 XFCE (Dell 1520) 64 bit. Dual booting M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M19.1 Cinnamon / W7 (Lenovo desktop) 64 bit. Persistent live USB pretesting M19.2 Cinnamon and XFCE.

crookedmouth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crookedmouth » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:01 pm

Thanks for all the great advice. I basically took everyone's advice. I am keeping 17.3 on my daughter's computer(my old one) and the transition for her was seamless. I found some inexpensive but great games on Steam so she is happy. It works perfectly so why change it?

For the new one I installed LM 18 and everything works perfect except wake from suspend/hibernation causes keyboard to be unresponsive. The funny thing is that hitting a key wakes it but then I can't type password. If I hold down a key it repeats for a long time but if I type normally, nothing.

Other than that I couldn't be happier. So glad I am rid of Windows. I never realized just how much it gets in the way. It was strange how, for me, Windows was like a needy yet controlling girlfriend, that I finally worked up the nerve to break up with. So happy to be free. Just wish more Windows users would try just linux for a week.

Thanks again.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:45 am

crookedmouth wrote:For the new one I installed LM 18 and everything works perfect except wake from suspend/hibernation causes keyboard to be unresponsive. The funny thing is that hitting a key wakes it but then I can't type password. If I hold down a key it repeats for a long time but if I type normally, nothing.
In this case I advise to disable hibernation (suspend-to-disk):
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ter-a-coma
(item 9 and 9.1, left column)

Does the problem also happen with "ordinary" suspend (suspend-to-ram)?

crookedmouth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crookedmouth » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:49 am

How do I use suspend to ram? I've been just using power management to enable suspend.

I found last night that switching to a ps/2 keyboard allowed me to enter suspend and come out with a working keyboard.

This is the error that I believe is associated with the problem:

usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1

It may be that other usb keyboards will function fine. I'll test that tonight, but I'm actually kind of loving the Model M that I plugged in. What a great keyboard!

Thank you for the response. I am loving Linux so much. The kids are also loving it. They are amazed by the speed of it.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:09 am

crookedmouth wrote:How do I use suspend to ram? I've been just using power management to enable suspend.
2 names for the same function.
crookedmouth wrote:It may be that other usb keyboards will function fine.
Unlikely. A greater chance might be to use a different usb port on the computer, but also this needs some luck to work.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:34 am

You might also try the latest kernel. Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels

After installing the latest kernel (currently 4.4.0-31), reboot your computer and test again.

crookedmouth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crookedmouth » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:45 pm

Maybe it's a USB 3.0 issue. Are there any dangers with updating the kernel?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:35 am

crookedmouth wrote:Are there any dangers with updating the kernel?
In the worst (but unlikely) case, your computer won't boot from the new kernel. In that case, simply select the older kernel in the Grub menu, boot from that and uninstall the new kernel. That's all. :)
Last edited by Pjotr on Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrDoh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MrDoh » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:45 am

Comment on the version of Linux Mint to use. I installed 18 right after it was officially released, a few days ago. At this point I'm thinking of going back to 17.3. I've had enough problems that I'm pretty sure would be fixed in a mature release like 17.3 that I'm thinking at the moment that it may just simplify my life. Some fixes have come through and I've installed all the level 1-3's that have gone by, but it is hard for me to sort out between things that I may be doing wrong, and things that just don't work right yet. I feel that the releases are similar enough that I can do a lot of the configuration that I've done up to now fairly quickly.

I'll probably do that over the weekend...

Update: went back to 17.3 this morning, first thing I ran into was a program that I need that had been compiled for a later version of Linux. Turns out that 17 is based on Ubuntu 14, which is fairly old in the Linux world. 18 is based on Ubuntu 16, much newer. So back to 18, and will live with those things that don't work until they're fixed.

crookedmouth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crookedmouth » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:36 am

I'm at 4.4.0-31 and still unresponsive. I checked another usb keyboard and it works fine. So definitely the keyboard. So it worked in 17.3 but not now. Maybe a cinnamon 3 issue?

Edit: I guess that is not the best diagnoses because that was on a different computer. This could be motherboard drivers and such.

Return to “Newbie Questions”