Noob idea to promote

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Mangar

Noob idea to promote

Post by Mangar »

Have a few contests "tit for tat"

- free advertisement create some banners
You must have a bunch of web developers here and site owners! Even members that can stick a logo in their avatars on other forums for visibility.

example banners or badges....

Badges, I am a "Linux mint user, you can too" link back to a OFFICIAL down load site or OFFICIAL intro video

Banners like - Free wall paper and or contests, choose a winner of the month which wall paper gets downloaded the most.
1. Will draw in visibility even from the web of none users which will see how much the Mint community thrives
2. People will see the popularity of the downloads or votes towards a choice.
3. Each month the winner gets to be placed (gloat) the most popular wall paper of the month or downloads.

Banners like - themes such as wall papers same concept.

Banners like - games, most down loaded abandon ware, Dosbox, playonlinux, wine, or Native Linux.
- Just make sure your have Linux games in the works show so web visitor that are NOT Linux users, sees Linux popularity among others.

My opinion and experience people will browse and try free things weather it be free games, wallpapers, themes and add ons. But you need a localized location to overwhelm them on what they are missing or going to be missing.

People that are stuck in a windows world have blinders on not to even click Linux links or even waste a minute to look at it because it will not work on their machine.

If you post free stuff like wall papers or other things that Window user or Mac users could use and take, you Mint win a minute in the back of those people who see Linux Mint website and the popularity of users, support.
So every time they pop open the windows desktop knowing I got this wall paper over at that Linux Mint OS website!

Have you FAQ's how hard is it to install and run Linux Mint Vid, If i was a first timer and seen it can be done in 5 minutes, I might watch a 5 minute video "Hmmm, that is quick and simple, maybe I might try it this weekend"

All Honesty I only came here because my XP OS crashed, but think of all those who never even saw a video, I work at a power plant and global company, In the break room I asked over 50 people in a 12 hr shift and not one person even thought Linux had an alternative OS. That means Mint needs more visibility, and FREE visibility is better than no visibility.

You need to promote some free universal items AT the same time display the popularity and eye catching Mint and that they take something away with Mint on it as a reminder !!!!

Idea: Have an open contest, starts in 1 month make a theme challenge or wallpaper challenge with stuff done in graphic or other Linux applications, that is another way non Linux visitors can visit and go "Wow I did not know Linux could do that!!"

Dress it to impress the pubic !!! Plant that seed in the back of their mind "I have an out option, and it will be Mint" Coin some phrases like that!!!

Here's another: I have two kids in middle school and High school, Both of them I am going to teach Linux to use. The school wants parents to buy M$ word a lot of $$$$ but none of them knew it can be done on Linux. Start some banners or something that has back to school SEO and show what Libra can do and how it is an alternative. << That could be used on a website how to save money, or the those Mom and Dad sites that help parents make ends meet by stretching the dollar! Or making a old home pc into a family business computer for school.
jonnymoon96

Re: Noob idea to promote

Post by jonnymoon96 »

word of mouth is generally the best way to promote Linux however abandonware is considered piracy so it would for liability reasons not be recommended to endorse abandonware i also would talk about the advantages and disadvantages of Linux i love using the Linux mint system. it has fulfilled my needs as a student and as a person who has graduated from high school my belief is that when you make a great product than your customers will recommend you. i also like your ideas but the best advertisement is your recommendation and your usage of the Linux mint system also another benefit is that downloading linux is legal and free because you dont have to worry about piracy of the windows system nor do you have to worry about paying however many hundred dollars for a windows operating system it is usually better to promote freedom than free stuff although linux has tons of free stuff the free software foundation is a valuable resorse that i recommend looking at although the FSF does not approve of Linux Mint
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I'm promoting it through Facebook amongst other places. In fact when I found, modified and posted the full-sized picture of what someone on here has as their avatar, it resulted in an interesting conversation from one of my friends who I had no idea was also a Linux Mint user.

It's the one featuring a spray bottle with "GNU Linux" and the line "Wipes Windows in seconds" and I've made a version for my cover photo, padded with black borders so it fits nicely next to my profile picture and above all the crap they overlay it with.

I also promote it to everyone down the Pub, who can see for themselves what Linux is capable of even on a fairly modestly specified netbook. Google Earth, Kdenlive, decently responsive browser even when loaded to the hilt (it always is) and generally snappy performance, plus having customizable directory icon colours (on KDE, Cinnamon at least) which might also appeal to Mac users. Plenty of other niceties too which I'm happy to demonstrate.

Many people there have in the past witnessed my sheer frustration trying to get things done on Windows, in fact I've largely forgotten about all the stress and swearing involved. Mint just works! So the comparison is clear to them at least. Several of the people I know are now very likely to try it out as a result of this. Seeing is believing!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

The best way to promote Linux is to give people a chance to use it. I recently worked on a Windows computer for a friend, and while I was working on it, I noticed that the hard drive was nearly full: 146 out of 148 gigs. So, I offered to put one of the hard drives from my junk box into it, and install Mint on a partition on the new drive while I was at it. When I returned the computer to my friend the other day, I had her boot it into Mint so I could show her a few things about Linux. In the space of about 2 minutes, she commented on how fast it was three times. I have a feeling her Windows use is going to decrease drastically over the next week or so.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

all of my PCs have "powered by LinuxMint" sticker,
that was placed over the 'powered by some windows version' sticker
8)

in plain sight - for all to see
:mrgreen:

that does include the PCs that get given away,
- after they get a new lease-on-life.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

That's what I'm planning on doing Pierre! Already made up the artwork just need to make nice labels for the lid and to place where the Windows 7 Starter sticker was. (I had Ultimate anyway, prior to Mint).

A nice big version of the Windows logo in the prohibited sign on the left of the lid (as seen when open) and Tux on the right should do it, like the ones in my avatar but with different colours to suit the machine. I'll happily share the GIMP file with layers if anyone wants the WinBar as I call it, as long as the modified logo doesn't upset those at Redmond. Choice of black or white background :mrgreen:

ETA: Tux came from a DuckDuckGo search; hope it's free to use too.
ETR: Extraneous "when".
Last edited by BG405 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I dropped in at Free Geek this morning to look at some sale items. I have bought several computers (8) there including this Scraptop. HP Pavilion dv2000 running LM 17.3 64 Cinnamon. A teacher from a local high school was there looking and asked me if I knew anything about Linux. This store recycles laptops and desktops with Linux on them, including Apples with Linux. I gave him a brief rundown on the features of Linux. He was looking to buy a laptop for one of his students at the request of her father. We found several that were within his budget. He bought 2 because he had always been fed and taught Apple in schools. I went so far as to show him around the FORUMS here as a help location beside the help file.
I think he is sold on Linux now. :wink:
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

And now months later I am up to buying and giving away 54 LM laptops. Plus over 30 free installs. I have also been giving classes in Linux Mint at a local coffee shop. In the coffee shop now there are only Mint and Apple users. I have also given away 3 MacBooks that I converted to Linux mint 18.1. Good thing I am retired and need to get out of the house. :mrgreen:
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Congratulations!
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

@Manger
Your most powerful statement:
That means Mint needs more visibility, and FREE visibility is better than no visibility.
I think we have a consensus on this, everyone should do their part, and in the future we will see an exponential growth of Mint.
What we have in place now is a terrific os, backed by major upstream developers, and a great user-based support platform.
We will build on that.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”