Ubuntu 9.04 alpha 2

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Ubuntu 9.04 alpha 2

Post by exploder »

I took a look at Ubuntu 9.04 alpha 2 tonight. I could only test it from the Live CD, my test machine is down... So far it looks pretty decent. I looked at the updates that were available and noticed Brasero 0.8.4, so CD burning might actually work right this time! The new kernel seemed to work with my all Intel system, memory use looked good and the new xorg gave me more choices for screen resolution and refresh rates! I noticed that the desktop loaded quicker and the flash of white before the gdm appears was not there.

It is really early in development and there is still plenty of time for breakage but the alpha 2 release looks decent so far.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 alpha 2

Post by Husse »

I deleted the double post this had - I think it's the damned 500 Internal server error that makes it
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I deleted the double post this had - I think it's the damned 500 Internal server error that makes it
Yes, I got the error when I submitted the post. Thanks!
ziplocpeople

Post by ziplocpeople »

I've tested it too, I used it for about 3 days. The only problems I had was that 3d acceleration wasn't supported very well for my laptop (but at least it was supported), and when logging in/out there was a staticy screen that lasted for about half a second(not much of a problem though.) I found start up times to be noticeably faster(no really, it's MUCH faster booting then intrepid), over all it seemed pretty stable, far more then I remember Intrepid alpha 5 being. I didn't run into any application crashes (which surprised me), and I can't wait to try the stable version (and for Linux Mint 7 to come out =D )
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

ziplocpeople, thank you for posting your experience with alpha 2. How do you like the new volume control? I think it is a big improvment, it fits in better with the rest of Gnome and is easier to use. We should see alpha 3 the 15th of this month.
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

Ok i have installed (on virtualbox) Jaunty alpha3 with the lastest updates, and wow how fast it start up.

Because i like it to see the Mint Future, I have installed the Meta-packages from Felicia on Jaunty, and what to say. After the installation there are 3 little error messages (surly because the meta-packages are made for intrepid and not jaunty), but everything woks. All the mint-tool, artwork......

I can't find mint specifics bug's on working with my Patchwork-Mint.

From my view the base-update from Intrepid to Jaunty, will not give many new features in the view of doing new stuff, but will improve the performance a lot.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

From my view the base-update from Intrepid to Jaunty, will not give many new features in the view of doing new stuff, but will improve the performance a lot.
I agree. I think that is what the developers are after. The main new features seem to be the new volume control and the messaging system. The new volume control is looking good and makes things easy. The messaging system has potential but is not yet complete. Brasero has been updated to 0.9.0, so hopefully it will be in much better shape than the last couple of releases. OpenOffice 3 is present and many will be happy about that.With some luck more things will continue to improve and the 9.04 release will be a much better base from the start than what we have seen recently.
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

Yes the new volume-Control is nice, but here is a first point for a change in Gloria.
The new Volume controle use the Artwork from the Panel, so 3Panel-Lines. And because of the Mint-Theme it do not show very nice. (the lines do not fit with themself)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

knuckles wrote:Yes the new volume-Control is nice, but here is a first point for a change in Gloria.
The new Volume controle use the Artwork from the Panel, so 3Panel-Lines. And because of the Mint-Theme it do not show very nice. (the lines do not fit with themself)
Wow! you bring up a very interesting point. Could you post a larger screen shot to see the volume control a little better? Oh, your English is just fine. I understand what you are explaining here. Thanks!
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

here a larger pic
I hope this is big enough now :D

For the reason of such Problem, i would find it a great Idea, to have a Mint-Factory Repo, where the newest Mint-Packages are, and can allready be prepared for the next Mint-Version, with actual Ubuntu (alpha-beta) snapshots. So the delay of the Mint-Release and Ubuntu-Release would become shorter.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks! Those lines do look pretty bad... Here is where you can find every Mint package.

http://packages.linuxmint.com/

New repos do not appear until a new release is ready and usually Clem will provide new packages in the romeo repo for testing. I appreciate you taking the time to post that view of the volume control. Thanks!

exploder
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

thanks for the link, but it was already the same that I used for my Patchwork-Felicia : :mrgreen:

I have modify the MintTheme a little for jaunty, see her
I'm not very happy whit that, but it's only to show that it is possible too change the theme so that the line on the Volume controle are gone.
I have made it in green. because i like that Color, and on my screen-shot it's enlarged, in normal size it looks better.

I like the distro very much, and I like to make somethink for the distro (beside of some donation's), so the time I spent to post something here is not loosed :wink:
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Tried alpha-3? Any better?
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

I update my VirtualBox Jaunty everyday, and must say, Jaunty will have a very big Performance Improvement. It' feel already that the VirtualBox Jaunty works faster than the main Installed Intrepid/Felicia.

I'm very fascinated, and think that Gloria will be a very good Version :D :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have to agree with you, knuckles as far as speed is concerned. I think performance is a main focus with this release. I am hoping to see system sounds working in the final release and improvements with frame rates. Currently I see things working that have not worked out of the box in the last two releases. Brasero actually works! Transmission works better than it has in the past. It is the middle of the development cycle and so far there is not a massive list of regressions! Graphics card drivers still have some catching up to do but there is three months time for that to happen. We will have to keep our eyes on how things progress and hope for the best.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

I installed JJ Alpha3 x64 today out of boredom and its looking very nice. I am currently running Win7 Beta as host using vmware 6.5.1.
Flash and Java seem to be working fine. FF x64 is super fast..Youtube plays a little too fast though. Since its under a vm, cant get AWN to run...
I am still a loyal Mint user but its gonna be tough to decide which will be may main OS.... JJ x64, Win7 or LM 6 x64 :? I dont like dual booting. I was running Felecia as my main OS and Win7 as guest but I wanted to feel the true power of Win7 so I installed over LM. Probably get a second pc and run a KVM switch , gotta love the choices!

darco
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

darco, I think you're doing it wrong. You should be using something relatively stable, Jaunty, as the host for the unstable virtual virus-trap. :)

My preference is to use Felicia, which is rock solid and stable, as the host platform for both of them.

I agree with you that Win7 doesn't show off very nicely in a VM. I've had it in Virtualbox since it came out, and side-by-side with XP it is the loser every time. The only thing that Win7, in a virtual session, does better than XP is launch programs. Boots to login slower, loads the desktop slower, is otherwise overall a pig compared to XP, but IE7 launches faster. I can go from cold start to Excel document open in half the time by launching XP. By my estimation, none of the "improvements" to Win7 are realized in a virtual session because I'm not giving that pig full direct access to my hardware.

Jaunty-alpha, on the other hand, plays very nice in a virtual session. Nice enough that I entrusted a bootable partition to it and have been relatively pleased with it. But it is too much of a hassle for me to be expected to reboot to play with something, so 99% of the time I just boot to Felicia. I've tweaked my Felicia to boot faster, but Jaunty beats it. Jaunty is faster still. I look forward to putting Jaunty on my Dell netbook.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

AK Dave wrote:darco, I think you're doing it wrong. You should be using something relatively stable, Jaunty, as the host for the unstable virtual virus-trap. :)
u funny! :D

darco
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Perhaps one machine for each OS that you like?

Then burn down a rainforest. :P
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

badmotor wrote:Perhaps one machine for each OS that you like?
But I do have one machine for each OS that I like. If I like an OS, its on one machine. Thats why my main laptop has 3 bootable partitions and Virtualbox. Everything is on one machine. :) Except OS X. Which I like, but not the pricetag on the hardware bloat that it usually comes bundled with.

darco: do you actually observe any faster boot speed with either Win7 or Jaunty? Both claim this, but I haven't observed it myself. I suspect that in order to observe this, you'd need to make a comparable between an older 32bit OS and the newer 64bit code booting on the same multi-core 4+gb machine. Sure, shave a few seconds off of boot time - but only on hardware that is already pretty zippy.

Return to “Chat about Linux”