File being ignored on start up (SOLVED)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 17817
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 am

Re: File being ignored on start up

Post by Cosmo. »

altair4 wrote:All of my ubuntu machines regardless of DE have it set to 644 just like the error message suggests. All of the Mint machines have it set to 600.
Do you say, that in Ubuntu 644 is - in contrast to Mint - the default setting? This would indeed explain, why the error message suggests this. But it creates the new question, why Mint changes this. :?:

altair4
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9997
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:27 am

Re: File being ignored on start up

Post by altair4 »

Cosmo. wrote:
altair4 wrote:All of my ubuntu machines regardless of DE have it set to 644 just like the error message suggests. All of the Mint machines have it set to 600.
Do you say, that in Ubuntu 644 is - in contrast to Mint - the default setting? This would indeed explain, why the error message suggests this. But it creates the new question, why Mint changes this. :?:
I have Ubuntu MATE, XFCE (Xubuntu), and Unity and they are all 644. Like you suggested above I don't know if it matters as long as it's not 664 or 666.

There's a few other unexplained anomalies between Ubuntu and Mint. The way Ubuntu is built the default umask is 0002. I can change it to something else easy enough but in Mint it's 0022 and it seems to be hard coded to that value. All of the internal settings that make it 0002 in Ubuntu are present in Mint yet Mint's is different. In this case it's the display manager that Mint uses which would have never occurred to me had I not read the bug report on it.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 17817
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 am

Re: File being ignored on start up (SOLVED)

Post by Cosmo. »

Regarding umask:

In the German Ubuntu-forum I read, that the default has been changed from 0022 to 0002 in Ubuntu 11.10; the background seems to be found here.

Further I read there, that the correct place to change this for the system is now /etc/login.defs. You find the setting for umask=022 somewhere near the middle, together with some notes in comment lines saying, that there is no true answer for the "correct" setting. I didn't bother much with that, because I didn't notice a reason to do so.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9997
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:27 am

Re: File being ignored on start up (SOLVED)

Post by altair4 »

Cosmo. wrote:Regarding umask:

In the German Ubuntu-forum I read, that the default has been changed from 0022 to 0002 in Ubuntu 11.10; the background seems to be found here.

Further I read there, that the correct place to change this for the system is now /etc/login.defs. You find the setting for umask=022 somewhere near the middle, together with some notes in comment lines saying, that there is no true answer for the "correct" setting. I didn't bother much with that, because I didn't notice a reason to do so.
You didn't read my link and the bug report within that link :) : Resetting Mint's Default umask to 0002
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 17817
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 am

Re: File being ignored on start up (SOLVED)

Post by Cosmo. »

I did read it, but as said, I never had the need to bother myself with the question (inclusive the question, if USERGROUPS_ENAB gets honored or not). I only added the info from the German Ubuntu-wiki, that the place for changing the umask value has changed.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9997
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:27 am

Re: File being ignored on start up (SOLVED)

Post by altair4 »

Cosmo. wrote:I did read it, but as said, I never had the need to bother myself with the question (inclusive the question, if USERGROUPS_ENAB gets honored or not). I only added the info from the German Ubuntu-wiki, that the place for changing the umask value has changed.
And my point is that changing it there will do nothing - in Mint. It's just another quirk between Ubuntu and Mint like Mint not installing all the dependencies that Ubuntu does when you install a package.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

How-old!
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:50 pm
Location: GB

Re: File being ignored on start up (SOLVED)

Post by How-old! »

Got the same accursed message with new installation of LM18-Xfce-beta. Never had this before. It happens after I give the PW, but can log-in by clicking OK in the error message box. Tried changing the 644 to 600 with chmod as recommended above. Hard restart: same error message. Am a user, not a guru, so appreciate any detailed suggestions; am a lot less than happy at the CLI. Thank you.
[Not sure if this is the correct place or date to ask but my problem is exactly as described above so this is obviously still a live issue for some of us.]

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”