Bluetooth file receiving linux mint 18

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chemmutk1

Bluetooth file receiving linux mint 18

Post by chemmutk1 »

im running Linux mint 18 sarah, the bluetooth has been paired with my android smartphone. Even then my laptop is not able to receive any files. smartphones shows sending "failed" ( unsuccessful). but sendinga file from laptop to smartphone has no issues. my friend also is same issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sikejsudjek

Re: Blietooth file receiving linux mint 18

Post by sikejsudjek »

You could try installing Blueman from the software manager. That has a few more options with regard to bluetooth. Click on view then local services and it has an option to receive files.
chemmutk1

Post by chemmutk1 »

when i install blueman, should i remove the already existing bluetooth manager . ? And is this a know bug ?
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

No you can leave both in there. I just stop blueman auto loading at startup from the startup options, and if the default bluetooth app gets stuck or won't do something blueman has some extra options available to configure or troubleshoot.
chemmutk1

Post by chemmutk1 »

thank you for the prompt reply dear linexian. i will do that... but , Is this issue of not able to receive from smartphone through bluetooth a know bug in mint 18 sarah ?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

If you are using Cinnamon

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-user-share
Then search the program menu for personal file share and from there you should be able to enable receive files over bluetooth
chemmutk1

Post by chemmutk1 »

thanks jeremy for the reply. Wat exactly this command doing to the linux? will it install gnome into cinnamon ? if so, does it gonna bring any problems later to mint 18 OS ? im very new to linux, kindly tell me wat we r about to install since ur answer says "install gnome" .. the following linux blog ( one of the know blogger) says it is a fatal mistake to mix other desktop environment with cinnamon... i guess gnome is a diff desktop environment.
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... almistakes
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

It will just install the gnome-user-share, it is a supported package according to synaptic and I think it was installed by default in LM 17 Cinnamon
chemmutk1

Re: Bluetooth file receiving linux mint 18

Post by chemmutk1 »

@jeremy : i have run the command as u told and it showed packegs getting unpacked and downloading .... and i even rebooted the system. But the 'Personal share" still not showing in menu .
chemmutk1

Post by chemmutk1 »

@jeremy ; pls see the attached screenshot from synaptic package manager
Screenshot from 2016-08-01 21-16-27.png
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Strange but try

gnome-file-share-properties
You may also need to install obexftp to finally get it to work
chemmutk1

Post by chemmutk1 »

pls tell me the right commands..... im not at all familiar with linux. thank you
scutterflux

Post by scutterflux »

chemmutk1 wrote:pls tell me the right commands..... im not at all familiar with linux. thank you
I'm on Mate and having similar problems, hopefully we can figure this out, I installed Mate-user-share and it was unsuccessful.

I was able to connect my phone only as an audio device with the gnome-bluetooth/blueberry, I have removed those and tried now with blueman and can't pair at all now, I'm not getting a pairing code from blueman.

I'll keep trying and hopefully I'll be able to help.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

sudo apt-get install obexftp
Then you should be able to use

gnome-file-share-properties
chemmutk1

Post by chemmutk1 »

@jeremy : installed , and personal file sharing showed when i typed command in terminal gnome-files-sharing . But still not visible in menu. anywys, i have ticked the receive file column , but still not able to receive.The smartphone showing ' file not send ' or unsuccusfull.
Screenshot from 2016-08-02 20-40-13.png
scutterflux

Post by scutterflux »

I don't want to hijack the thread, I'll start a new one, but I've created a new bluetooth problem for myself in trying to get this to work.

Also there is a linux-firmware upgrade available, you might want to try sudo apt-get upgrade will take care of it. This is not what caused my problems btw...

oh I'll share my new problem anyway:

dmesg|tail
[   11.099681] VBoxNetAdp: Successfully started.
[   11.103984] VBoxPciLinuxInit
[   11.106578] vboxpci: IOMMU not found (not registered)
[   11.378134] nf_conntrack: automatic helper assignment is deprecated and it will be removed soon. Use the iptables CT target to attach helpers instead.
[   14.282635] Bluetooth: hci0 sending initial HCI reset command failed (-110)
[   16.286918] Bluetooth: hci0 command 0x0c03 tx timeout
[   16.648611] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[   16.648614] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[   16.648617] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
[   24.285147] Bluetooth: hci0 sending initial HCI reset command failed (-110)
off to solve and return soon hopefully :)
scutterflux

Post by scutterflux »

yeah I'm back, :D

I can say the firmware update did nothing for me, and I can still connect my phone as a media device but no file sharing is happening even with Gnome-user-share or Mate-user-share.

How you making out chemmutk1?

My BT adapter is the one on the intel 7260 card, do you think that could be part of the problem, is that what yours is?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I doubt having an Intel bluetooth is the issue as I have a laptop with a 7260 wifi + bt with Ubuntu 16.04 and have no issues transfering files.

I just got done doing some tests with the LM18 Live version and found that all that is really needed with LM 18 Cinnamon is to

sudo apt-get remove blueberry && sudo apt-get install blueman
Then I opened blueman after quitting blueberry. Then I clicked on the new bluetooth icon and selected local services, transfers and enabled bluetooth receive files and it worked

I had already done this on my other laptop with LM18 Cinnamon installed- replaced blueberry with blueman as I just didn't like how blueberry worked
scutterflux

Post by scutterflux »

Well I need blueberry for the pairing code (blueman doesn't even give a pairing code in my case???) but after it's paired using blueberry, blueman doesn't give the option to browse or send files in the UI (buttons faded out), but I can test it from the icon, that's still after install a bunch of obex packages, file sharing over bluetooth, and setting file recieving and object push etc...

I've had no BT problems in previous mint, ubuntu, debian, fedora, opensuse distro's.

This is just really strange :?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

scutterflux wrote:Well I need blueberry for the pairing code (blueman doesn't even give a pairing code in my case???) but after it's paired using blueberry, blueman doesn't give the option to browse or send files in the UI (buttons faded out), but I can test it from the icon, that's still after install a bunch of obex packages, file sharing over bluetooth, and setting file recieving and object push etc...

I've had no BT problems in previous mint, ubuntu, debian, fedora, opensuse distro's.

This is just really strange :?
It might be because you have 2 bluetooth managers installed. Even in LM17 Cinnamon, Ubuntu 14.04, 15.04, 15.10 and 16.04 I had to change settings in Personal File Sharing or enable through Blueman to be able to send a file from my phone to computer

I dont know why LM18 Cinnamon doesn't use gnome-bluetooth like LM17 did as that worked very well for me

Return to “Hardware Support”