HOW-TO make dual-boot obsolete using kvm VGA passthrough

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craigbett

Re: HOW-TO make dual-boot obsolete using kvm VGA passthrough

Post by craigbett »

powerhouse wrote:
craigbett wrote:
Turns out that the pci-stub wasn't grabbing the "0000:01:00.0" ( the actual graphics card ), nouveau was grabbing it before pci-stub could. Putting nouveau.blacklist=1 in the grub file wasn't enough to blacklist the kernel drivers

instead I added a new file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf and put

Code: Select all

blacklist nouveau
blacklist lbm-nouveau
blacklist nvidia-173
blacklist nvidia-96
blacklist nvidia-current
blacklist nvidia-173-updates
blacklist nvidia-96-updates
alias nvidia nvidia_current_updates
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off
( recommended from this http://askubuntu.com/questions/112302/h ... nel-driver. )
and the pci-stub was able to get the card. The kvm works now :)
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

tortov wrote:Hi powerhouse,

Thank you for your tutorial, I was able to follow everything and almost got it working. The VM starts fine, but nothing appears in the monitor with the guest gpu, like no signal is being received.

I have two gpus:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] (rev a1)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] (rev a1)

The gtx 970 will be the guest, and the gtx 760 will be the host, each on a different monitor (usind HDMI cables). The gtx 970 is used to boot the system, and it shows everything until the login screen, when the image is switched to the host gpu/monitor, and the guest monitor turns off. But the guest fans never stop also. I can't switch de PCIE slots because the guest is on x16 and host in a x4.

Looks like my gtx 970 doesn't have EFI support (the EfiRom returns code 0x00). But when I try to run it using seabios, nothing happens, just like OVMF. The VM starts and there is no error message (besides an error with the netdev).

And all gpus are isolated in their IOMMU groups.

Here is my VM start script:

#!/bin/bash

configfile=/etc/vfio-pci.cfg
vmname="windows7vm"

vfiobind() {
   dev="$1"
        vendor=$(cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/vendor)
        device=$(cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/device)
        if [ -e /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/driver ]; then
                echo $dev > /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/driver/unbind
        fi
        echo $vendor $device > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/new_id

}

#if ps -A | grep -q $vmname; then
#   echo "$vmname is already running." &
#   exit 1

#else

cat $configfile | while read line;do
   echo $line | grep ^# >/dev/null 2>&1 && continue
      vfiobind $line
   done

# use pulseaudio
export QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=pa

cp /usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_VARS-pure-efi.fd /tmp/my_vars.fd

qemu-system-x86_64 \
  -name $vmname,process=$vmname \
  -machine type=q35,accel=kvm \
  -cpu host,kvm=off \
  -smp 4,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2 \
  -enable-kvm \
  -m 4G \
  -mem-prealloc \
  -balloon none \
  -rtc clock=host,base=localtime \
  -bios /usr/share/seabios/bios.bin -vga none \
  -nographic \
  -serial none \
  -parallel none \
  -soundhw hda \
  -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,x-vga=on,multifunction=on \
  -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1 \
  -boot order=dc \
  -device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi \
  -drive id=disk0,if=virtio,cache=none,format=raw,file=/media/neuromancer/vm/win.img \
  -drive file=/home/neuromancer/Downloads/os/win7ultimate/win7ultimate.iso,id=isocd,format=raw,if=none -device scsi-cd,drive=isocd \
  -drive file=/home/neuromancer/Downloads/os/virtio-win-0.1.118.iso,id=virtiocd,format=raw,if=none -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,drive=virtiocd \
  -netdev type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap0,vhost=on \
  -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=net0,mac=00:16:3e:00:01:01

exit 0
#fi
Here is the vm output:

W: /etc/qemu-ifup: no bridge for guest interface found
QEMU 2.1.2 monitor - type 'help' for more information
EfiRom output (I had to boot in safe mode to be able to echo 1 > rom, don't know if this can be the cause of the error:

Image 1 -- Offset 0x0
  ROM header contents
    Signature              0xAA55
    PCIR offset            0x01A0
    Signature               PCIR
    Vendor ID               0x10DE
    Device ID               0x13C2
    Length                  0x0018
    Revision                0x0000
    DeviceListOffset        0x00
    Class Code              0x030000
    Image size              0xE800
    Code revision:          0x0001
    MaxRuntimeImageLength   0x00
    ConfigUtilityCodeHeaderOffset 0x8B2E
    DMTFCLPEntryPointOffset 0x2EC0
    Indicator               0x00
    Code type               0x00
EfiRom: ERROR 3001: Not supported
  Failed to read PCI ROM header from file!
And the guest Gpu is bind to vfio-pci:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] [10de:13c2] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device [1462:3160]
	Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0fbb] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device [1462:3160]
Do you have any idea why this could be happening? Am I doing the seabios part right? Thanks for the help!
If your graphics card does NOT support UEFI, then this tutorial won't work. You cannot use OVMF then. I have posted links to other tutorials that might work - check out the link to the Arch Linux forum.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

craigbett wrote:
powerhouse wrote:
craigbett wrote:
Turns out that the pci-stub wasn't grabbing the "0000:01:00.0" ( the actual graphics card ), nouveau was grabbing it before pci-stub could. Putting nouveau.blacklist=1 in the grub file wasn't enough to blacklist the kernel drivers

instead I added a new file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf and put

blacklist nouveau
blacklist lbm-nouveau
blacklist nvidia-173
blacklist nvidia-96
blacklist nvidia-current
alias nvidia nvidia_current_updates
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off
( recommended from this http://askubuntu.com/questions/112302/h ... nel-driver. )
and the pci-stub was able to get the card. The kvm works now :)
Great news! I'm glad you got it working.

If possible, please post your Passmark or other benchmark results here: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=153482
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
head_v_wall

Post by head_v_wall »

Hi Powerhouse, had been thinking my old XEN setup (following your previous guide) needed upgrading, then I found you wrote this... :D

my HW:
CPU: i7-3770
M/B: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
RAM: 16GB
Host GPU: integrated
VM GPU: AMD HD7950
Storage: 120G OCZ Agility 3 (for host) & Samsung EVO 850 (for guest)

*I'm also using the new Linux Mint 18 release

Couple things I had to do differently:

1 - change kernel parameters
radeon.blacklist=1 to radeon.modeset=0

With radeon.blacklist=1:
radeon does not get disabled, grabs half the GPU before pci-stub gets a chance, the pci-stub gets the audio-half :?

$ dmesg
<...>
[    0.746882] radeon: unknown parameter 'blacklist' ignored
<...>
[    0.750454] radeon 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0003)
<...>
[    4.295363] pci-stub: add 1002:679A sub=FFFFFFFF:FFFFFFFF cls=00000000/00000000
[    4.295367] pci-stub: add 1002:AAA0 sub=FFFFFFFF:FFFFFFFF cls=00000000/00000000
[    4.295420] pci-stub 0000:01:00.1: claimed by stub
confirmed with lspci:

$ lspci -nnk
<...>
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti PRO [Radeon HD 7950/8950 OEM / R9 280] [1002:679a]
	Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Tahiti PRO [Radeon HD 7950/8950 OEM / R9 280] [1458:254c]
	Kernel driver in use: radeon
	Kernel modules: radeon
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7970 Series] [1002:aaa0]
	Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Tahiti XT HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7970 Series] [1458:aaa0]
	Kernel driver in use: pci-stub
	Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
<...>
Then with radeon.modeset=0:

$ dmesg
<...>
[    0.745078] [drm:radeon_init [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module!
<...>
[    1.207983] pci-stub: add 1002:679A sub=FFFFFFFF:FFFFFFFF cls=00000000/00000000
[    1.208036] pci-stub 0000:01:00.0: claimed by stub
[    1.208040] pci-stub: add 1002:AAA0 sub=FFFFFFFF:FFFFFFFF cls=00000000/00000000
[    1.208060] pci-stub 0000:01:00.1: claimed by stub
<...>
once more confirmed with lspci:

$ lspci -nnk
<...>
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti PRO [Radeon HD 7950/8950 OEM / R9 280] [1002:679a]
	Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Tahiti PRO [Radeon HD 7950/8950 OEM / R9 280] [1458:254c]
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7970 Series] [1002:aaa0]
	Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Tahiti XT HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7970 Series] [1458:aaa0]
<...>
For reference my full kernel command line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="radeon.modeset=0 quiet splash intel_iommu=on pci-stub.ids=1002:679a,1002:aaa0"
2 - Mess with the GPU passthrough (a lot!)
The pass-through initially worked fine for me, I just got stuck when installing the GPU drivers - the VM would immediately crash no matter what, then guest reboots after that would be highly unreliable and crash at random.
First I found: https://www.redhat.com/archives/vfio-us ... 00120.html
After putting my GPU behind a 'ioh3420' device, the VM did not crash, but the display never came back - so progress i guess?
Then: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/piperma ... 03911.html
Which lead on to: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1361071
which has lead me to construct my current abomination of a qemu command-line (still in the win10vm.sh script):

qemu-system-x86_64 \
  -name $vmname,process=$vmname \
  -cpu host \
  -machine type=q35,accel=kvm \
  -smp 4,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2 \
  -enable-kvm \
  -m 4G \
  -mem-prealloc \
  -balloon none \
  -rtc clock=host,base=localtime \
  -vga none \
  -nographic \
  -serial none \
  -parallel none \
  -soundhw hda \
  -usb -usbdevice host:046d:c31d -usbdevice host:046d:c05a \
  -device ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1 \
  -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,multifunction=on,bus=root.1,addr=00.0 \
  -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on \
  -device ich9-intel-hda,bus=pcie.0,addr=1b.0,id=sound0 \
  -device hda-duplex,id=sound0-codec0,bus=sound0.0,cad=0 \
  -drive if=pflash,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd \
  -drive if=pflash,format=raw,file=/tmp/my_vars.fd \
  -boot order=dc \
  -device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi \
  -drive id=disk0,if=virtio,cache=none,format=raw,file=/media/user/win.img \
  -drive file=/media/isos/Win10_1511_2_EnglishInternational_x64.iso,id=isocd,format=raw,if=none -device scsi-cd,drive=isocd \
  -drive file=/media/isos/virtio-win-0.1.118.iso,id=virtiocd,format=raw,if=none -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,drive=virtiocd \
  -netdev type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap0,vhost=on \
  -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=net0,mac=00:16:3e:00:01:01
Note: i have flashed the GPU rom to get UEFI support.

With that I am able to boot the VM, install windows AND install the GPU drivers!

From here I plan to experiment some more trying to trim down the command line to find what it was that eventually made the pass-through succeed, then i'll blow it all away and do a 'proper' LVM-based install, but thought I should share first :)
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Hello head_v_wall, thanks for sharing your experiences and the workarounds.

It gave me a laugh when I read that radeon would grab "half the GPU" - thanks for pointing out the new radeon.modeset=0 grub option.

I myself am not that sure that switching from Xen to kvm improved performance. I actually really liked Xen and how well it performed. But some practical reasons brought me to use kvm.

Good luck with optimising your startup script, and please share when you are done. I did a lot of experimenting to get decent disk performance. In Xen it would just work using the PV drivers. With kvm I got a great variance of results, depending on the parameters in the qemu command. See viewtopic.php?f=225&t=153482&start=20#p1109525.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Those of you who followed the how-to and have a running Windows VM, please post some benchmarks here: viewtopic.php?f=231&t=197754.
Ludo_Kressh

Post by Ludo_Kressh »

Firstly, thank you for posting such a great guide, both powerhouse and O_Shovah for the same graphics card part.

I followed the guide perfect, very easy to do as its so well written, but I have a problem I cant seem to find a way around. I have tried many things and searched for different methods but cant get this bit solved.

So am simply trying to pass through one of my cards (both the same nvidia titans) to the VM and use the vfio-pci driver instead of the Nvidia nouveau one. But no matter what I do the nouveau driver always seems to take priority. I even tried to completely disable that to see if the vfio would take over it then, but in thay case no driver appears in the kernal driver in use output from

lspci -nnk
I can show you any of the config files I have used, but they are all just variation on what the two of you have tried, and other people in other forums. I dont really understand why the vfio driver never seems to take the graphics card. Any help you or anyone else can give me would be appreciated.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Ludo_Kressh wrote:Firstly, thank you for posting such a great guide, both powerhouse and O_Shovah for the same graphics card part.

I followed the guide perfect, very easy to do as its so well written, but I have a problem I cant seem to find a way around. I have tried many things and searched for different methods but cant get this bit solved.

So am simply trying to pass through one of my cards (both the same nvidia titans) to the VM and use the vfio-pci driver instead of the Nvidia nouveau one. But no matter what I do the nouveau driver always seems to take priority. I even tried to completely disable that to see if the vfio would take over it then, but in thay case no driver appears in the kernal driver in use output from

lspci -nnk
I can show you any of the config files I have used, but they are all just variation on what the two of you have tried, and other people in other forums. I dont really understand why the vfio driver never seems to take the graphics card. Any help you or anyone else can give me would be appreciated.
Look at the top of this page, the post by craigbett here.

The nouveau driver can be nasty and you need to assign the vfio-pci driver before nouveau kicks in. I have two Nvidia cards and use the Nvidia proprietary driver for Linux. Here is my configuration:

In /etc/modprobe.d create or edit the file local.conf:

install vfio-pci /sbin/vfio-pci-override-vga.sh
In /sbin create the file vfio-pci-override-vga.sh:

#!/bin/sh

DEVS="0000:02:00.0 0000:02:00.1"

for DEV in $DEVS; do
    echo "vfio-pci" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/$DEV/driver_override
done

modprobe -i vfio-pci
and replace the DEVS=... with the PCI IDs of the graphics card you want to pass through and make the file executable.

Edit the /etc/default/grub file. You should have a line like that:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nouveau.blacklist=1 quiet nomodeset intel_iommu=on"
If not, edit and add nouveau.blacklist=1 or nouveau.modeset=0, whatever works for you (the latter option might be needed for newer kernels, I'm running a 3.19 kernel).

I also have the /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf file, which in my case was created when I installed the proprietary Nvidia driver onto Linux. It reads:

# This file was installed by nvidia-352
# Do not edit this file manually

blacklist nouveau
blacklist lbm-nouveau
blacklist nvidia-current
blacklist nvidia-173
blacklist nvidia-96
blacklist nvidia-current-updates
blacklist nvidia-352-updates
alias nvidia nvidia_352
alias nvidia-uvm nvidia_352-uvm
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off
Let us know if this works.
Ludo_Kressh

Post by Ludo_Kressh »

Thank you for such a quick reply.

I just went through what you suggested and aside from having nouveau.blacklist=1, everything you showed I already had in from the previous part of the guide. I have after I posted changed to the nvidia driver away from the nouveau driver, so I just added nouveau.blacklist=1, but the same thing. They are now bound to the nvidia driver.

I just cant seem to get it to ever go to the vfio one. If there is anything that will help you understand please let me know. Im sure its something very simple but Im at that state where I dont think I would ever find it.
Ludo_Kressh

Post by Ludo_Kressh »

Just been experiementing and I stripped down another system of mine and stuck a 960 in, and since its a different card I used the first method you showed and that worked first time no problems, straight to the pci-stub driver

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK110 [GeForce GTX TITAN] [10de:1005] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. GeForce GTX Titan SC [3842:2791]
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia
	Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_361
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GK110 HDMI Audio [10de:0e1a] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. GK110 HDMI Audio [3842:2791]
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK110 [GeForce GTX TITAN] [10de:1005] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. GeForce GTX Titan SC [3842:2791]
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia
02:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GK110 HDMI Audio [10de:0e1a] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. GK110 HDMI Audio [3842:2791]
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] [10de:1401] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] [3842:2966]
04:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:0fba] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. Device [3842:2966]
So at least that works, Ill play some more and see if I can get this one now to go with the vfio driver using the PCI bus address instead of the IDs.

..... No it just went back to the nvidia driver..

Ive been spending a few hours on this today and I think I am close to identifying the problem. Whenm I run the windows10vm.sh file I get the following output

$ sudo /etc/windows7vm.sh 
/sbin/vfio-pci-override-vga.sh: 10: /sbin/vfio-pci-override-vga.sh: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:977 command_do() Error running install command for vfio_pci
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vfio_pci': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
Plugging 0000:04:00.0 into vfio-pci
/etc/windows7vm.sh: line 20: /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/new_id: No such file or directory
Plugged 0000:04:00.0 into vfio-pci
Plugging 0000:04:00.1 into vfio-pci
/etc/windows7vm.sh: line 20: /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/new_id: No such file or directory
Plugged 0000:04:00.1 into vfio-pci
Showing, to me at least, that something is wrong in the layout of the vfio-pci-override-vga.sh file and the modprode, local.conf set up

#!/bin/sh

DEVS="0000:04:00.0 0000:04:00.1""

for DEV in $DEVS; do
done

modprobe -i vfio-pci

As far as I can tell I havent made any mistakes in there so is ther something wrong with the installation command for vfio-pci?
O_Shovah

Post by O_Shovah »

Hello Everybody,
Im reporting back from my exams and on my endevour to a KVM machine.

This post describes the Variant B of how to get two identical GPUs sorted for KVM using vfio-pci.

Version B :

In contrast to my first guide Version A this version uses the default tools included in Ubuntu 16.04 in covergence with powerhouse's setup.
This example uses AMD GPUs. Modify the grub example accordingly if you use Nvidia or other Manufacturers.

So first modify grub with sudo nano /etc/default/grub

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet radeon.modeset=0 intel_iommu=on"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
The paramter radeon.modeset=0 prevents the loading of all radeon drivers
until the X-Server is started(Namely your Desktop comes up). Therefore the boot up time
can be used by the vfio-pci driver to grab the GPU we want to use in the KVM.

Rebuild grub:

sudo update-grub
Next add the modules we want to get loaded at boot in their respective order to /etc/modules
sudo nano /etc/modules

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vhost-net
Create the file /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf and add:

Now look up the devices you want to be locked by vfio-pci to be later passed through using:

lspci -nn

Wich yields in my case:

04:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290] [1002:67b1]
04:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii HDMI Audio [1002:aac8]
05:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller [1b21:1242]
06:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290] [1002:67b1]
06:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii HDMI Audio [1002:aac8]
Remember to pass through both the graphics and the audio in case of a graphics card.

Create the following script:
/sbin/vfio-pci-override-vga.sh

#!/bin/sh

DEVS="0000:06:00.0 0000:06:00.1"

for DEV in $DEVS; do
done

modprobe -i vfio-pci
And replace the DEV with the ones of the devices you want to pass through. This works for both graphics cards and other devices like sound cards.

And make it executable:

sudo chmod 755 /sbin/vfio-pci-override-vga.sh
Update yout initramfs :

sudo update-initramfs -u
Now reboot your machine

Now run lspci -nk it should yield an output alike:

04:00.0 0300: 1002:67b1
	Subsystem: 1462:3081
04:00.1 0403: 1002:aac8
	Subsystem: 1462:aac8
06:00.0 0300: 1002:67b0
	Subsystem: 174b:e285
06:00.1 0403: 1002:aac8
	Subsystem: 174b:aac8
With the vfio-pci driver having grabbed the card you specified in the sbin file
and the Video output on the specified card having ceased.

In the hope to have given a guide to someone with a similar problems i had ;)
Last edited by O_Shovah on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O_Shovah

Post by O_Shovah »

And now to the more specific path of mine.
I finally found a problem that might have kept me from getting a KVM to run in the first place.

Both my graphics cards did not posses a UEFI BIOS Neither the R9 290 nor the R9 290X.
It seems i never checked properly. -> Skipping steps in Manuals -> not so smart....

But thanks to the people over at Techpowerup i sucessfully flashed my card with
a UEFI BIOS. Still the ability to read the bios from the card as in STEP 1 works at times and
at times it just yields

cat rom > /tmp/image.rom
cat: rom: Input/output error
Use the great Techpowerup BIOS database
and the very good AMD/ATI Flashing Guide
in case you experience a similar problem.
Nontheless: i take no responsibility for any potential damage to your card

With the vfio-pci driver now properly grabbing my R9 290X card using standard tools and the card
fielding a proper UEFI BIOS i will go on in the hope to get thins working soon :)
peavey2787

Post by peavey2787 »

I've followed this tutorial and several others now and I can get everything to work up until its time to run the actual VM. qemo starts up but I have no video signal. I've tried with a gtx 960 and an 8800gs. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? I got no one to help :( Thanks for your time.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

peavey2787 wrote:I've followed this tutorial and several others now and I can get everything to work up until its time to run the actual VM. qemo starts up but I have no video signal. I've tried with a gtx 960 and an 8800gs. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? I got no one to help :( Thanks for your time.
Sometimes it's a simple thing:

Have you switched your screen to the output of the second graphics card? Make sure the cable is properly connected. If you have only one screen, you need to connect two cables coming from the two graphics cards.

If you have two screens, the second screen should show the output of the Windows VM. Make sure everything is connected properly and turned on.

And finally, make sure your graphics card actually supports UEFI. See the post right above.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

O_Shovah wrote:And now to the more specific path of mine.
I finally found a problem that might have kept me from getting a KVM to run in the first place.

Both my graphics cards did not posses a UEFI BIOS Neither the R9 290 nor the R9 290X.
It seems i never checked properly. -> Skipping steps in Manuals -> not so smart....

But thanks to the people over at Techpowerup i sucessfully flashed my card with
a UEFI BIOS. Still the ability to read the bios from the card as in STEP 1 works at times and
at times it just yields

cat rom > /tmp/image.rom
cat: rom: Input/output error
Use the great Techpowerup BIOS database
and the very good AMD/ATI Flashing Guide
in case you experience a similar problem.
Nontheless: i take no responsibility for any potential damage to your card

With the vfio-pci driver now properly grabbing my R9 290X card using standard tools and the card
fielding a proper UEFI BIOS i will go on in the hope to get thins working soon :)
Hi O_Shovah: Thanks for the update!

Yep, my tutorial won't work unless you got an UEFI BIOS in your graphics card. Thanks for the links! I'm sure some readers will find them very useful.
Ludo_Kressh

Post by Ludo_Kressh »

I finally got mine working with two simple changes to force the vfio to load first.

Firstly I changed the /etc/modules file to this

lp
rtc
pci_stub
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
kvm
kvm_intel
Then the second is the main one, changing the /sbin/vfio-pci-override-vga.sh script to this

#!/bin/sh

for i in $(find /sys/devices/pci* -name boot_vga); do
        if [ $(cat $i) -eq 0 ]; then
                GPU=$(dirname $i)
                AUDIO=$(echo $GPU | sed -e "s/0$/1/")
                echo "vfio-pci" > $GPU/driver_override
                if [ -d $AUDIO ]; then
                        echo "vfio-pci" > $AUDIO/driver_override
                fi
        fi
done

modprobe -i vfio-pci
This forces the binding of any non-boot gpu to the vfio driver. These two together work for me and I now have a fully functional VM. No idea why the normal method wouldnt work.

Thank you for the guide and your help
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

@Ludo_Kressh: Sorry for not noticing this earlier. I just saw that you had posted an error log and looking at the log and your old /sbin/vfio-pci-override-vga.sh script is saw the problem:

DEVS="0000:04:00.0 0000:04:00.1""
There are two double quotes ("") at the end of the line - it should be only one quote ("). It was a simple syntax error.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Ludo_Kressh wrote:I finally got mine working with two simple changes to force the vfio to load first.

Firstly I changed the /etc/modules file to this

lp
rtc
pci_stub
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
kvm
kvm_intel
Then the second is the main one, changing the /sbin/vfio-pci-override-vga.sh script to this

#!/bin/sh

for i in $(find /sys/devices/pci* -name boot_vga); do
        if [ $(cat $i) -eq 0 ]; then
                GPU=$(dirname $i)
                AUDIO=$(echo $GPU | sed -e "s/0$/1/")
                echo "vfio-pci" > $GPU/driver_override
                if [ -d $AUDIO ]; then
                        echo "vfio-pci" > $AUDIO/driver_override
                fi
        fi
done

modprobe -i vfio-pci
This forces the binding of any non-boot gpu to the vfio driver. These two together work for me and I now have a fully functional VM. No idea why the normal method wouldnt work.

Thank you for the guide and your help

Thanks for sharing your solution. I think it would have worked with the script in my tutorial, once the syntax error is fixed. Could you test that?

Also, I doubt you need the pci_stub module.

The script you listed has one advantage: you don't need to look up the graphics cards pci bus ids as it just searches for non-boot graphics cards and binds them all to vfio-pci. In most cases this is fine, unless you use multiple GPUs in your host. I have to think about that and I might want to replace the script I posted with yours.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Just for information: Alex Williamson, a kvm developer, has written a How-To series on VGA passthrough that can be found at http://vfio.blogspot.com/2015/05/vfio-g ... e.html?m=0.

The downside of his tutorial is that it's Fedora-based. The part of creating a VM using libvirt and virt-manager, though it looks easy using the GUI, can be a real challenge. If you try that, use the latest Linux Mint 18 and kernel 4.x as well as a recent release of virt-manager.

Alex' tutorial excels in in-depth explanations and is well worth reading, even if you follow my how-to.
Ludo_Kressh

Post by Ludo_Kressh »

The guide by Alex Williamson is the one that I combined with yours to get mine to work.

The syntax error, I knew it would be something so simple. If O_Shovah reads this I copied that from his guide so if you have chance edit that part so no more fools like me copy it.

I am a little busy but as soon as I get chance I was going to experiment more and I will try again with the method you showed without the mistakes. I had the pci-stub in there just because I was passing a keyboard/mouse receiver through using that.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and Ill come back once I have played some more. Another thing I was going to try is to pass through multiple SSDs. Got one working earlier this week, so going to try a few more.

Return to “Virtual Machines”