Linux Mint 18.0 is *AWESOME*

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NeoGeo64

Linux Mint 18.0 is *AWESOME*

Post by NeoGeo64 »

EDIT: THIS IS FOR THE CINNAMON EDITION. I'M SURE *ALL* EDITIONS ROCK EQUALLY. I JUST PREFER CINNAMON BUT ALL EDITIONS ARE EQUALLY POLISHED AND JUST AS GOOD.

I have never seen such a polished distro. This thing does have few quirks, but perhaps they're just redesigned UI's that I'm just not use to. This thing is a ROCK SOLID LINUX DISTRIBUTION. It just works. I love it. I could write a long thread about it's great features but it is not without it's faults, which are few and trivial -- and can be easily corrected by learning where new placements of settings are.

Let's be honest - 17.3 was the bastard child of the 17.x series. It had so much wrong with it.

But let's get to the point - what do YOU love about Linux Mint 18.0? (I run Cinnamon).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
draconicrose
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 18.0 is *AWESOME*

Post by draconicrose »

I love the new Mint-Y theme, especially after I downloaded a modification to make it all match the Aqua icons. I'm also a fan of how clean the X apps look. Very good for default, general use applications. Not so enthused about the stability of it, unfortunately. I've been having boot/shutdown issues and problems with the system not using swap correctly (solved in the meanwhile I think). Otherwise, pretty solid release, yeah. :D
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

I just wish reviewers would specify what they are reviewing.

Mint has four flavors. CInnamon, Mate, Xfce and KDE, which is yet to be released.

All four flavors have very distinct workflows, menus, look and feel, paneling system, etc.

I'd probably just assume they're talking about Cinnamon until otherwise noted.
NeoGeo64

Post by NeoGeo64 »

I was referring to the Cinnamon edition of 18.0.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

NeoGeo64 wrote:I have never seen such a polished distro. This thing does have few quirks, but perhaps they're just redesigned UI's that I'm just not use to. This thing is a ROCK SOLID LINUX DISTRIBUTION. It just works. I love it. I could write a long thread about it's great features but it is not without it's faults, which are few and trivial -- and can be easily corrected by learning where new placements of settings are.

Let's be honest - 17.3 was the bastard child of the 17.x series. It had so much wrong with it.

But let's get to the point - what do YOU love about Linux Mint 18.0? (I run Cinnamon).
Well, we all have different machines and LM may run slightly differently on each one. For the first time since 2012 I have been disappointed with a new LM release, 18 "Sarah". I am running LM 17.3 MATE 32-bit and will do so for the foreseeable future. It runs virtually FLAWLESS on my 4 Lenovo Thinkpads, which are some of the most compatible laptops ever made for Linux. I have NEVER had any real problems with it and I think it's Linux Mint's BEST release ever.

However, LM 18 is a different story. The tones in LM 18 are dark, it has regressed in certain areas requiring more keystrokes and seems to have a few bugs (a disappearing wireless icon in the tray for example). It also appears that each new release of LM requires more memory at idle than the previous release. What happened to efficiency? Memory usage has slowly crept up since LM 13. LM 17.3 is good with updates until 2019. Depending on what the Mint team brings out in the future, I may or may not be looking for a LM replacement.
Retic1959

Post by Retic1959 »

I also like the dark themes in LM18 , but I like the stability of it even more . Cinnamon 17.3 had issues on my machine so I ran XFCE instead , however Cinnamon 18 is rock solid on my setup and responds better than XFCE 17.3 did . The only nit I gotta pick is longer boot time with 18 .
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

As much as I like Mint 18 Cinnamon, I just cannot get behind the flat and unappealing square icons with rounded corners. They look awful. They remind me of the Windows Metro desktop or OSX El Capitan which is fugly. Remember when updating an operating system meant improving the look and feel of the user interface? Why is flat and ugly now considered an improvement over 3D and dazzling?

I really need to learn to develop themes and come up with a real winner.
NeoGeo64

Post by NeoGeo64 »

I'm not sure of everyone else's experience but 17.0, .1 and .2 ran like a raped ape on my box3n. 17.3 fudged it all up with some fudgery going on behind the scenes that I don't know. I had to drop into command line and edit text files for 17.3 to work. 18.0 is as smoother than OD'ing on Ducolax and eating Ben and Jerry's. I love Linux, this entire house is powered by Linux. Hell, I even use this as my WiFi router because the ethernet is connected from the modem (I pay for 150mbps and I get 170/25). Of course, WiFi is kind of slow, 10 - 50 mbps but sitting at my computer, connected with ethernet, HOLY HELL it's fast. But that's nothing compared to Gigabit which is the next big thing.

By the way:

Dell XPS 8700
i7 4770k
16GB RAM
AMD 7000 series GPU (use XORG drivers, official ones crash the OS, too scared to try with 18.0)
Random multi-card reader and other modern crap - works like a charm.
Last edited by Oscar799 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for bad language
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

NeoGeo64 wrote:I'm not sure of everyone else's experience but 17.0, .1 and .2 ran like a raped ape on my box3n. 17.3 fudged it all up with some fudgery going on behind the scenes that I don't know. I had to drop into command line and edit text files for 17.3 to work. 18.0 is as smoother than OD'ing on Ducolax and eating Ben and Jerry's. I love Linux, this entire house is powered by Linux. Hell, I even use this as my WiFi router because the ethernet is connected from the modem (I pay for 150mbps and I get 170/25). Of course, WiFi is kind of slow, 10 - 50 mbps but sitting at my computer, connected with ethernet, HOLY HELL it's fast. But that's nothing compared to Gigabit which is the next big thing.

By the way:

Dell XPS 8700
i7 4770k
16GB RAM
AMD 7000 series GPU (use XORG drivers, official ones crash the OS, too scared to try with 18.0)
Random multi-card reader and other modern crap - works like a charm.
I'm still running Mint KDE 17.0.

Flawless. Been rock solid since installation and running smooth.

Can't comment on 18 yet as I am awaiting the KDE editon and my old test netbook is currently in pieces in a tupperware box.
So got to wait a bit to give comment. But 17.0... it's just worked!

I have installed 17.2 on my wife's laptop - no troubles.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

NeoGeo64 wrote:Let's be honest - 17.3 was the bastard child of the 17.x series. It had so much wrong with it.
What? No. 17.3 is very nice and works very well for me.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MajorMuff

Post by MajorMuff »

Moem wrote:What? No. 17.3 is very nice and works very well for me.
Same here, still very much enjoying using 17.3 Cinnamon!
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Linux Mint 18 is OK.
I still prefer Linux Mint 17.1 .
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

NeoGeo64 wrote: Let's be honest - 17.3 was the bastard child of the 17.x series. It had so much wrong with it.

I'm running 17.3 and it works fine, I'd really like to know what you thought was wrong with it.

For me, Mint 18 was anything but awesome, I had intermittent boot and shutdown problems, and my NFS share which worked fine with every version of Mint up to and including 17.3 would not automount in 18.

I will admit, Mint 18 looks good, but until they can get it working as well as Mint 17.X, I'm staying with 17.3
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
NeoGeo64

Post by NeoGeo64 »

I disliked 17.3 because it seemed to break stuff that worked fine in 17.2. Mint 18.0 has returned that functionality. Namely, video card issues and files I had to go in and manually edit to get things to work as they did in previous 17.x versions. There were a few other quirks that are still present in 18.0 that started in 17.3. One thing that is strange is that if someone calls me on Skype I can't close out the "Person is calling you" popup without ending the call. (this is on Cinnamon) There are some others but I can't remember off the top of my head.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

NeoGeo64 wrote:I disliked 17.3 because it seemed to break stuff that worked fine in 17.2. Mint 18.0 has returned that functionality. Namely, video card issues and files I had to go in and manually edit to get things to work as they did in previous 17.x versions. There were a few other quirks that are still present in 18.0 that started in 17.3. One thing that is strange is that if someone calls me on Skype I can't close out the "Person is calling you" popup without ending the call. (this is on Cinnamon) There are some others but I can't remember off the top of my head.
Skype is owned by MS so complain there. Even on Linux they know their way to ruin things. :lol:
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Another 17.3 KDE sticker here. I hate the new KDE on 18 :( I do like the new 18 Cinnamon but My desktop system is so complicated I would hate to move to a new desktop interface.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”