update firefox in mint 18

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pasch32

update firefox in mint 18

Post by pasch32 »

Hi everyone... again the firefox update is not the latest update... the latest firefox is 48 and the actual firefox in mint 18 is 47... worse the actual firefox for 47.x is 47.01... well let hope the update going out soon... thanks!

Sorry for my write english is not my native language.

Edit by admin:

The solution was found by petetong here viewtopic.php?f=47&t=226872&p=1199512#p1199490.

Type about:config in Firefox' address bar and press enter. Accept the warning. Then search for distribution.searchplugins.defaultLocale and change it's value from "data:text/plain,distribution.searchplugins.defaultLocale=en-US" to "en-US" and all search issues are resolved.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: update firefox in mint 18

Post by Pjotr »

Usually, we don't have to wait long. It has to be tested first, by the Mint developers. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
pasch32

Post by pasch32 »

Pjotr wrote:Usually, we don't have to wait long. It has to be tested first, by the Mint developers. :)
yes i know, but security need to put fast to not have problem...
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

If you feel unsafe, run Firefox within a secure sandbox with Firejail:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/sandbox
pasch32

Post by pasch32 »

Pjotr wrote:If you feel unsafe, run Firefox within a secure sandbox with Firejail:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/sandbox
i setup a apparmor firefox profile... but not everybody do.. and even less peolple do the firejail, that why firefox do a security update of the web browser... and everyone expect the lastest security update of the browser from the distros... that is not much to ask... :)

btw i only do a observation of the problem... not have the latest web browser version... no more than that!
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

Maybe you should try Firefox-ESR which only receives security updates.
ostracized

Post by ostracized »

I was kinda ansy about getting this newest version installed as well. RES on reddit is really screwing up css styles on subreddits if you have night mode enabled...they already have a few beta releases on their add-on page for FF48 only...reddit simply isn't navigable without a dark theme and some other features RES provides that cut out all the extra css flabbiness on the site.

I tried the "unstable" Romeo repo selection in the mint updater...apparently nothing is in there?
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ebere »

zorzi wrote:Maybe you should try Firefox-ESR which only receives security updates.
Hi zorzi,

I am running firefox esr.

It won't update.

It keeps saying that there is an update available, but it can't update because of system permissions or something of the sort.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him in return." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

Hi Ebere,

That is strange. On my computer, Firefox ESR was updated yesterday from 45.2 to 45.3. Have you tried to update via the terminal ?
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ebere »

zorzi wrote:Hi Ebere,

That is strange. On my computer, Firefox ESR was updated yesterday from 45.2 to 45.3. Have you tried to update via the terminal ?
Not the normal way, but I did figure it out.

I did a sudo nautilus. Went to the firefox folder. Changed it's permissions. Did the update via "help" in firefox. Changed the firefox folder permissions back, and rebooted.

It worked. But it's a long way around.

I tried to figure out a way to do an apt update via the terminal, but for the life of me, after hours of searching, I couldn't find a repository, or filename.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him in return." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Ebere wrote:I did a sudo nautilus.
That explains it. Leaving open, why you use nautilus in Mint at all: Never run any(!) graphical program via sudo. It is guaranteed to break your user account sooner or later. The result is wrong ownership of files and folders.

To find out, what it did on your system:
Mark the following command and press ctrl-c

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
open a terminal and press ctrl-shift-V
Mark the complete result inclusive the command with the mouse and press ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-v.

Report in case, that there is no output.
ostracized

Post by ostracized »

Cosmo. wrote:
Ebere wrote:I did a sudo nautilus.
That explains it. Leaving open, why you use nautilus in Mint at all: Never run any(!) graphical program via sudo. It is guaranteed to break your user account sooner or later. The result is wrong ownership of files and folders.

To find out, what it did on your system:
Mark the following command and press ctrl-c

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
open a terminal and press ctrl-shift-V
Mark the complete result inclusive the command with the mouse and press ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-v.

Report in case, that there is no output.
find: ‘~/.cache/dconf’: Permission denied
ostracized

Post by ostracized »

Btw, here's a fresh Ubuntu security notice for FF47: http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3044-1/
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

ostracized wrote:find: ‘~/.cache/dconf’: Permission denied
This confirms it.
Repair:
Mark the following command completely and make sure, that you do not miss any sign, than press ctrl-c

find /home/$SUDO_USER ! -user $SUDO_USER -exec chown $SUDO_USER:$SUDO_USER '{}' \;
Open a terminal and enter

sudo -i
and press the Enter-key; you get prompted for your password, enter it.
Now still in the same terminal press ctrl-shift-V
Run this command and wait until it has finished.
Press twice ctrl-d
Immediately log off and back into your account.
ostracized

Post by ostracized »

Cosmo. wrote:
ostracized wrote:find: ‘~/.cache/dconf’: Permission denied
This confirms it.
Repair:
Mark the following command completely and make sure, that you do not miss any sign, than press ctrl-c

find /home/$SUDO_USER ! -user $SUDO_USER -exec chown $SUDO_USER:$SUDO_USER '{}' \;
Open a terminal and enter

sudo -i
and press the Enter-key; you get prompted for your password, enter it.
Now still in the same terminal press ctrl-shift-V
Run this command and wait until it has finished.
Press twice ctrl-d
Immediately log off and back into your account.
Btw, I never sudo'd nautilus. I have neither nautilus nor firefox-esr installed on my system.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

ostracized wrote:Btw, I never sudo'd nautilus. I have neither nautilus nor firefox-esr installed on my system.
That is the problem which occurs, if somebody jumps into another thread. Things get very quickly confusing.

In this case: You have quoted my advice and gave the output for it. Sorry, but you cannot expect, that I re-read every thread from the beginning to find out, who is who. I also do not read full-quotes, they are senseless, as I am very well able to tell, what I wrote. (and in case I am able to re-read a given advice). Consequently I have - and I will in the future - overlooked, that you = ostracized is somebody different than Ebere.

General advice: Create your own thread; than those things cannot happen.
ostracized

Post by ostracized »

FF48 just came down the pipe this morning as a level2 update -- I wouldn't recommend it yet because it completely blew up my search settings. I'm currently running SE-less right now, lol:
confused.png
^clicking that bottom link does nothing and trying to manually add search engines doesn't work either.

What I don't really understand is why FF needs to be modded so heavily for Mint from a standard Debian release.
Last edited by ostracized on Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ostracized

Post by ostracized »

ostracized wrote:FF48 just came down the pipe this morning as a level2 update -- I wouldn't recommend it yet because it completely blew up my search settings. I'm currently running SE-less right now, lol:

confused.png
^clicking that bottom link does nothing and trying to manually add searches doesn't work either.

What I don't really understand is why FF needs to be modded so heavily for Mint from a standard Debian release.
Ok, we need some more reports to make sure this isn't just me. I have 1 other person in IRC with the same problem, same DE LM18 MATE and another who says the search options are fine in FF48 LM18 XFCE. I've already tried running FF in "safe mode" but no dice. Might do a "firefox refresh"...
ostracized

Post by ostracized »

Ok, we're getting a couple more reports this FF48 update is borked on IRC. Commonality found: everyone who did a clean install of either LM18 beta or LM18 has a borked FF48. People who "upgraded" from 17.3 (or who are still on) through the mint updater seem to be fine.
Last edited by ostracized on Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Whoa, hold it.... :)

In Mint 18 Xfce (clean install) I just upgraded to Firefox 48 by means of Update Manager, and I have no problems at all. Maybe your problem is caused by a rogue add-on which you've installed yourself?
Last edited by Pjotr on Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Software & Applications”