Getting Rid Of "Other Places" In Save Dialog?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Getting Rid Of "Other Places" In Save Dialog?

Post by InkKnife »

I like most of the changes in LM18 but I find one to be extremely vexing. The new save dialog shows the old "Places" but under that, where the addition drives would be is now just a entry "Other Places" so now there is two extra clicks to get to the drives I store data on.
I have a small SSD which is devoted to just apps and the system and two spinning disks that I store my files on. How can I change this so I see the list of mounted drives like it was in 17.3?
It is really annoying to have to do the extra clicks every single time I go to save something.
>>Failed Image<<

Additionally I would like to know why images are restricted to such a teeny tiny size here? Might as well just disallow images entirely if you are only going to allow images as big as a small postage stamp. Policies like this stopped making sense over 15 years ago when dial-up ruled the web.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Getting Rid Of "Other Places" In Save Dialog?

Post by Flemur »

It is really annoying to have to do the extra clicks every single time I go to save something.
In Mint18 Xfce, I make bookmarks (I think they're called that) to directories on my separate data partition with thunar; then they show up under thunar's "places" and also show up in "Save As..." dialogs.

Apparently they're saved in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks:

Code: Select all

file:///mnt/DATA
file:///mnt/DATA/download
file:///mnt/DATA/movies
...etc...
So maybe make some bookmarks...?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Regarding the screenshots:

The problem is the file size. Unluckily the screen-shots with the default methods get done in PNG-format; this creates easily files with more than 100 kb size. Convert them to JPG, that should - with a rather strong compression setting - help.

Other solutions: Either install shutter, which allows you to store in JPG-format at once or upload the pictures to a picture-hoster.

There is another problem with your post: You did not tell, which desktop environment you use. If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

As someone posted earlier if you make your external drives a bookmark then they will show in the sidebar of the gtk3 open/save dialog. In nemo you just right click them in the sidebar and choose "Bookmark".
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Cosmo. wrote:Regarding the screenshots:

The problem is the file size. Unluckily the screen-shots with the default methods get done in PNG-format; this creates easily files with more than 100 kb size. Convert them to JPG, that should - with a rather strong compression setting - help.

Other solutions: Either install shutter, which allows you to store in JPG-format at once or upload the pictures to a picture-hoster.

There is another problem with your post: You did not tell, which desktop environment you use. If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.
File size is not the issue. The forum restricts by dimension, not length.

Oops, my bad, this is in Cinnamon. Adding my other drives as bookmarks would make them appear redundantly in Nemo, which I also do not want. Mounted drives continue be displayed correctly in Nemo, it is in the save dialogs where I find the problem.
This is what I see in the save dialog:
http://i.imgur.com/dIe71RX.png

This is what I see in the Nemo sidebar:
http://i.imgur.com/MBQNDP5.png
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

I'm with InkKnife on this one. I know exactly what you mean and why it's annoying. The new "Save As..." dialogue utterly annoying and feels like *gasp* Windows.

I, for one, rarely use the "Places" locations as all of my data resides on separate partitions. The lack of this kind of crap is exactly why I started using Linux. I know how to partition a drive and put files where I want them. Please stop making it hard for me to so just so you can try to protect those who don't.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Is this a Cinnamon issue or a Nemo issue?
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Same thing happens in Caja (LM18 MATE)
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

InkKnife wrote:File size is not the issue. The forum restricts by dimension, not length.
Example by me: Do you call it tiny? A click on the picture and you see every detail.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

InkKnife wrote:Is this a Cinnamon issue or a Nemo issue?
Neither. That is a gtk3 dialog and isn't handled by Mint devs at all. This complaint needs to go to the Gnome/Gtk developers.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

JosephM wrote:
InkKnife wrote:Is this a Cinnamon issue or a Nemo issue?
Neither. That is a gtk3 dialog and isn't handled by Mint devs at all. This complaint needs to go to the Gnome/Gtk developers.
That is a shame, those dudes are not interested in input or criticism.
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

InkKnife wrote:That is a shame, those dudes are not interested in input or criticism.
Again, I'm very much in agreement with you. I find it particularly vexing as the "Documents," "Videos," Pictures," etc. directories were deleted from my home folder a long time ago. I do not use them, nor do I care to have empty directories littering my home folder.

How does one complain to the Gnome/Gtk developers?
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

hpmc13 wrote:
InkKnife wrote:That is a shame, those dudes are not interested in input or criticism.
Again, I'm very much in agreement with you. I find it particularly vexing as the "Documents," "Videos," Pictures," etc. directories were deleted from my home folder a long time ago. I do not use them, nor do I care to have empty directories littering my home folder.

How does one complain to the Gnome/Gtk developers?
You can give it a try. My impression of the Gnome project is that it is a very top down, not community driven project that is not...er...receptive to input.

Return to “Beginner Questions”