Linux Killed Windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Logarithm

Linux Killed Windows

Post by Logarithm »

Hi everyone. I am very new to linux, and I recently recieved a disk of Mint 5 from my brother. I booted off of the disk, and the OS loaded with no problems at all. I looked around for a bit and liked it, so I tried to install it. The installation went smoothly until I got to the disk partitioning. Before, I had only one partition that I ran Windows XP off of. The Linux installer tried to partition the disk into two pieces but crashed halfway through the process. I then tried to load XP again, only to find that my original partition had been corrupted. :( I reinstalled windows XP onto the new, very small partition hoping to be able to access the old data. This, unfortunately, did not work. It showed the partition as existing, but it didn't have a drive letter assigned to it. On the boot menu, however, it lists it as i:/ . Is there any way to recover the files on the partition without purchasing any expensive software?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Linux Killed Windows

Post by Zwopper »

Run any Linux Live-CD and you can transfer the files there!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Husse

Post by Husse »

There is a small risk with partitioning....
As you can use the live CD it should be possible to recover your data
Boot it and install testdisk
you could simply use this command in a terminal

Code: Select all

apt install testdisk
This is not quite "standard" but mintish....
testdisk may probably be able to repair your MBR and it includes photorec that can recover almost any file from almost anywhere even if there is no proper file system present. You would of course need somewhere to put the rescued files
It will be annoying and timeconsuming but I think you will get all your files back - nothing should have been overwritten
----------------
Zwopper is correct provided the hard disk can be read
Fred

Post by Fred »

Logarithm wrote:
Linux Killed Windows
No, I don't believe that is quite correct. It appears that Logarithm killed Windows. You need to approach this from the right perspective. :-)

Just from what you said, it appears that you tried to shrink the Windows partition to less than the amount of data you had in it. Did you forget to check that? You then tried to install Windows on top of whatever you had left. Seems like I remember something about two things occupying the same space at the same time from an old physics course. If what actually happened is what I am speculating happened, then I don't hold out much hope for recovering much of anything, expensive software or not.

I know this is going to be a major pain for you but make sure you learn from this harsh lesson all that you can. Before you attempt another install, Google dual boot installs and how to use the Gparted partitioning program. Do some homework and make a plan. Then bring it to the forum and get a few comments on it.

Let your next experience with Linux be a glowing success. :-)

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”