[Solved] Linux as a desktop OS has low acceptance

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deleted

Re: Linux as a desktop OS has low acceptance

Post by deleted »

BG405 wrote:WiFi on Linux Mint works right out of the box. As does everything else.
+1
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

hinto wrote:
BG405 wrote:WiFi on Linux Mint works right out of the box. As does everything else.
+1
If you see the hardware , networking and display sections of the forum, you will see a large number of posts raising the topic of hardware not working. And many times no solution is found. Many times it is successful after running lot of complex commands, always thanks to the community.
If everything had worked out of the box, there would be no threads about hardware not working.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
deleted

Post by deleted »

Apparently you've never installed Windows from scratch.
-H
Edit: _still_ waiting for Windows Update to run (even after a Update request). This has been going on for 3 days.
-H
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

hinto wrote:Apparently you've never installed Windows from scratch.
-H
Edit: _still_ waiting for Windows Update to run (even after a Update request). This has been going on for 3 days.
-H
I i stalled windows xp andnot other versions of windows.I agree it was painful unless you had all the driver cds supplied with the motherboard.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Whilst I know there are driver issues with some hardware, the case I was referring to was a machine which originally had Win7 but I could NOT find drivers when attempting to do a reinstall. Said machine had been borked by the FBI virus and the owner wanted me to get Windows working, but a netbook is of limited use without WiFi.

Also, those who don't experience such issues often won't write posts about it - the unseen majority maybe? The only way to know this is to have a feedback system which catalogues successful installations :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

BG405 wrote: The only way to know this is to have a feedback system which catalogues successful installations :)
It would be very difficult to implement :). Such people will not visit the forum
Regards,
Deepak

BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Exactly! .. And people won't want anything in their OS phoning home, a major reason for getting rid of MS's operating system.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

[quote="BG405"]Exactly! .. And people won't want anything in their OS phoning home, a major reason for getting rid of MS's operating system.[/quote
My point is Linux including ubuntu mint fedora et all is such a tremendous os and yet commands barely 2% of desktop and laptop market.
Regards,
Deepak

deleted

Post by deleted »

I'm out...
Albert Einstien wrote:Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
-Hinto
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

deepakdeshp wrote:My point is Linux including ubuntu mint fedora et all is such a tremendous os and yet commands barely 2% of desktop and laptop market.
True. Is there a next step or maybe a conclusion? Does this statement lead to more insight, or new ideas?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Moem wrote:
deepakdeshp wrote:My point is Linux including ubuntu mint fedora et all is such a tremendous os and yet commands barely 2% of desktop and laptop market.
True. Is there a next step or maybe a conclusion? Does this statement lead to more insight, or new ideas?
I was looking for a way to spread Linux os in general and Mint in particular.I was listing out the difficulties in this goal.

No there has been no conclusion.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

BG405 wrote:Whilst I know there are driver issues with some hardware, the case I was referring to was a machine which originally had Win7 but I could NOT find drivers when attempting to do a reinstall. Said machine had been borked by the FBI virus and the owner wanted me to get Windows working, but a netbook is of limited use without WiFi.

Also, those who don't experience such issues often won't write posts about it - the unseen majority maybe? The only way to know this is to have a feedback system which catalogues successful installations :)
You get usb to wifi adapters that can be attached to the usb port of the netbook. They come with drivers for windows , Linux and mac.They are pretty cheap
You can get one and put the netbook on the wifi
Regards,
Deepak

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

deepakdeshp wrote:I was looking for a way to spread Linux os in general and Mint in particular.
Okay, then maybe you'll find this thread useful. After all, repeating that not enough people are using Mint is in itself not going to help.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

In certain respects, I'm less worried about Windows now than I used to be.

Most people run one or two other OSs on a daily basis besides Windows, whether they realize it or not: iOS and Android.

Now, how many people take cognizance of the significance of this fact is, of course, anyone's guess.

One very easy approach to use is something like this...

Ask a given individual how many emails, FB IMs, Twitter notifications/tweets, etc., that they have handled (sent, received, or both) on any given day. Or, alternatively, on some specific day in particular.

Ask them how many of those they handled on their computer, and how many they handled on their phone or tablet.

Then, as long as it's correct, point out the fact that that number (likely a majority or nearly all) were handled running an OS that isn't Windows. Point out that they're doing many (perhaps most?) of their productivity tasks without using Windows. Point out that they're using iOS or Android. Get them thinking about the fact that they're not using Windows for a lot of things.

That's usually a significant portion of getting them to consider an alternate desktop OS.

A LOT of people I know do the majority of their technology-related tasks using phones or tablets, and the majority of them are Android, followed by iOS. That means if they have a Windows-running computer (especially if it's a laptop) it's easier to get them to consider something else, because you've already shown they're not as dependent on Windows as they think they are.

Is this a 100% solution? No, of course not. But it certainly does cover a LOT of cases.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Portreve wrote:In certain respects, I'm less worried about Windows now than I used to be.

Most people run one or two other OSs on a daily basis besides Windows, whether they realize it or not: iOS and Android.

Now, how many people take cognizance of the significance of this fact is, of course, anyone's guess.

One very easy approach to use is something like this...

Ask a given individual how many emails, FB IMs, Twitter notifications/tweets, etc., that they have handled (sent, received, or both) on any given day. Or, alternatively, on some specific day in particular.

Ask them how many of those they handled on their computer, and how many they handled on their phone or tablet.

That is certainly a strong arguement for Linux and Mint.Thank you.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Moem wrote:
deepakdeshp wrote:I was looking for a way to spread Linux os in general and Mint in particular.
Okay, then maybe you'll find this thread useful. After all, repeating that not enough people are using Mint is in itself not going to help.
Thatvis fantastic. So mamy case studies and approaches are illustrated. Thank you.
Regards,
Deepak

BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

deepakdeshp wrote:
BG405 wrote:... the owner wanted me to get Windows working, but a netbook is of limited use without WiFi.
You get usb to wifi adapters that can be attached to the usb port of the netbook. They come with drivers for windows , Linux and mac.They are pretty cheap
You can get one and put the netbook on the wifi
True, I do have one for emergencies but having one of those sticking out the side would guarantee breakage in that house! Plus the internal one works fine with Mint so no problem if I end up keeping it, as will probably be the case, as I doubt the commercial games it was used for are available for Linux. Plus there seems to be an issue with the hard disk controller.

I have no intention of running Windows on it. If the HDC isn't fixable I'll use a persistent USB / network boot and use the server for all storage.
Portreve wrote:Point out that they're using iOS or Android. Get them thinking about the fact that they're not using Windows for a lot of things.

That's usually a significant portion of getting them to consider an alternate desktop OS.

A LOT of people I know do the majority of their technology-related tasks using phones or tablets, and the majority of them are Android, followed by iOS. That means if they have a Windows-running computer (especially if it's a laptop) it's easier to get them to consider something else, because you've already shown they're not as dependent on Windows as they think they are.
This is something I hadn't really thought about and I'll have a go at using this method. :idea: Cheers!
camor

Re: [Solved] Linux as a desktop OS has low acceptance

Post by camor »

How reliable are the figures for the number of people using Linux? What are they based on? It's my impression that Linux is spreading amongst the general public in the UK. Over the past year I have met several people(mostly retired because that's what most of my friends are like) who mention that they're using Linux, very often at the suggestion of a technically minded young relative. They even ask my advice about it - after all, in the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king!
But seriously, it really isn't difficult to use Linux.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

camor wrote:How reliable are the figures for the number of people using Linux? What are they based on? It's my impression that Linux is spreading amongst the general public in the UK. Over the past year I have met several people(mostly retired because that's what most of my friends are like) who mention that they're using Linux, very often at the suggestion of a technically minded young relative. They even ask my advice about it - after all, in the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king!
But seriously, it really isn't difficult to use Linux.
Linux is fine for most people. I switched my wife from WinXP to Mint MATE 3 years ago and since the switch and 5 minut tour she has had no issues at all. She keeps it updated herself no problem. I had many, many more problems with her using XP.
Linux is "wife safe" and every married man here knows that is quite an endorsement as the consequences of a failure would be significant. :)
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Sir_Douglas

Post by Sir_Douglas »

Why should Linux compete with Windows? Too much acceptance could make Linux a virus target. I like Linux partly because it has freedom that results in nice variety. What's the point in escaping monopolistic Microsoft, only to corrupt Linux into something similar? How many Linux users would like me if I said, "Let's all get on the same distro page, just as long as it's mine?" I would not like myself for such a narrow-minded, un-fun attitude. :!:

Return to “Chat about Linux”