Steam not running on Mint 18 Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
meta

Steam not running on Mint 18 Cinnamon

Post by meta »

New to linux but have been running 17.3 cinnamon for the last couple weeks, with steam installing first time round and running flawlessly since.

Since installing 18 ive run into an issue where after installing steam through the software manager, steam opens and updates as per usual, then disappears... for ever. Opening steam from the menu, or opening from the file location and running it makes no difference, trying to open the program literally does nothing as if you havent clicked it.

Today i changed linux and windows to dual boot from separate drives, so I had a fresh mint install and gave it another try only to the exact same problem again.

Im sure ive probably missed something so excuse in advance if its something obvious but would really like to get steam going as i play a few linux native games through it.

-Meta
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Re: Steam not running on Mint 18 Cinnamon

Post by felemur »

It is possible that is a bug with Mint 18. Mint 18 is a BETA (test stage) version right now, not the stable release for normal day to day use. I do know I had the same thing happen to the deb installer with an Epson scanner drivers install in 18 that worked without issue on 17.3.

Maybe someone else can walk you through the solution, but if you don't find a solution, you might want to report a bug here: https://launchpad.net/linuxmint

Keep in mind, if it is a bug the solution will be found and a fix come through the updates, or you can always go back to 17.3 stable if you need steam to work asap.
WinTinTin

Post by WinTinTin »

meta wrote:Im sure ive probably missed something ...
LM18 is offered as Beta and should not be seen (or used) as a fully functional 17.x replacement yet. It was merely released to allow further TESTING and get further FEEDBACK from users. Therefore you should report your problem after checking if it not already pops up @ http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3035.

(LOL, sniped by felemur!)
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur »

WinTinTin wrote:
(LOL, sniped by felemur!)
That's a first - usually it's me getting sniped!!
George99

Post by George99 »

This is NOT a bug in LM 18 beta but a known problem of Steam which exists in Ubuntu 16.04 too!

Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6' DISPLAY=:0 steam
to start Steam.
felemur
Level 5
Level 5

Post by felemur »

Did you try the solution offered by George99, and did it work?

Others may come across this thread with the same problem, and it would help them to know if this fixes the problem.

If it worked, it would be appreciated if you edited your first post and put (Solved) in the subject line.
LostInBKK

Post by LostInBKK »

Yes the solution from George worked for me

THANKS George :-)
mm77

Post by mm77 »

Thanks George ! it worked for me too !
Sudo80

Post by Sudo80 »

The terminal command from "George99" for Steam update also worked for me today using Mint 18 Sarah 64 full ver.
Please make this post "Solved" with "George99" solution.
N6REJ

Post by N6REJ »

So, do you need to run this command each time you run steam?
I'm trying to install perfectworld International for my mother-in-law which runs on steam but is not working on playonlinux. So I need to keep it super simple.
ostracized

Post by ostracized »

N6REJ wrote:So, do you need to run this command each time you run steam?
No. Here is a better solution. Is Valve still having this issue in 16.04? Really dragging their feet on this one...
Leonard0037

Post by Leonard0037 »

Run Steam using the terminal.
LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6' DISPLAY=:0 steam

Return to “Software & Applications”