How to disable password prompts in Mint 14?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
splitloop

How to disable password prompts in Mint 14?

Post by splitloop »

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to stop being asked to enter my password? I'm asked when I turn on the computer, after a screen saver, and before installing a program. I tryed to do it through gconf-editor, but I cant see "gnome power manager" there..
overthetop

Re: How to disable password prompts in Mint 14?

Post by overthetop »

Please note that you are asked for a reason. You need to make major system changes as administrator and in Linux you are not administrator by default(for greatly improved security). There are workarounds for this, but it will greatly reduce the security of your system; you have been warned!

Some links to get you started:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-disabl ... buntu.html
http://askubuntu.com/questions/43969/ho ... first-time

Again, this is very dangerous if you are connected to the Internet. If you store private information on your computer that shouldn't be accessed by strangers please don't do this! There is no support for personal loss as a result of this decision.
Last edited by overthetop on Sat May 18, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splitloop

Post by splitloop »

thank you!!!
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"after a screen saver,"
That is safe enough and there is a setting to turn off password for screensaver.
Depending on distro used should show up in desktop settings>screensaver

Also can set the system to auto-log on when booting up.
Spec-chum

Post by Spec-chum »

Interesting. My GF found it annoying to keep inputting her password.

I do have a quick question tho.

Is it just unsafe when other users are on your box? So, if I'm the only user on my desktop box a password isn't really needed anyway?

What I mean is, are there any external threats I'd need to be aware of if I disable passwords.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

splitloop wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to stop being asked to enter my password? I'm asked when I turn on the computer, after a screen saver, and before installing a program. I tryed to do it through gconf-editor, but I cant see "gnome power manager" there..
use a simple password, even if called 'weak' by Mint, then you won't mind it so much.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

Spec-chum wrote:...are there any external threats I'd need to be aware of if I disable passwords.
If you are connected to the Internet, remote exploits will become much easier for malicious crackers. By disabling your sudo password, you will be greatly reducing the security of your system. Do not do this if you store anything important, such as e-wallets, on your computer.
marmistrz

Post by marmistrz »

And if the user is not a sudoer? Is it dangerous as well then?
rodrigs

Post by rodrigs »

Spearmint2 wrote:
splitloop wrote:Hi,

use a simple password, even if called 'weak' by Mint, then you won't mind it so much.
Doesn't it become equally fragile if the password is small and non-randomized? What's the point of the password?

I just started on Linux (Mint) today and turning off the password was fast made a priority. And that's how I found this thread.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

marmistrz wrote:And if the user is not a sudoer? Is it dangerous as well then?
Probably not, so long as also not an Administrator. I have a Guest account setup on my computer and no password required, but it's also severly restricted in what I've allowed it to do and use.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

rodrigs wrote: Doesn't it become equally fragile if the password is small and non-randomized? What's the point of the password?
I just started on Linux (Mint) today and turning off the password was fast made a priority. And that's how I found this thread.
Point of password is same as for any software, to restrict use to that particular user. If you want the password prompts off, then create a user that is limited in what it can do, what groups it belongs to and instead of a password when you try to do something not allowed you will get a notice about your lack of authority for that and a warning the attempt has been logged, for the Administrator of course. Don't blame Linux if it backfires on you.
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Tue May 05, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Do *NOT* disable the password. Under *no* circumstances whatsoever. :shock:

Learn the healthy way to work with Linux; don't try to turn it into a security-deficient clone of Windows.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

rodrigs wrote:...turning off the password was fast made a priority.
If you persist in using Linux today the same way you used Windows yesterday, you'll be back on Windows tomorrow.
rodrigs

Post by rodrigs »

I'm getting used to it already. Thanks for sharing all the inputs from your experience. I surely never found the same welcoming in Windows.
jrw32982
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jrw32982 »

Obviously you need to be very careful when using this, but it makes sense in many scenarios (e.g. a Linux Mint VM).

This is from http://askubuntu.com/questions/98006/

cat <<EOF | sudo tee /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/nopasswd.pkla
[No password prompt]
Identity=unix-group:sudo
Action=*
ResultActive=yes
EOF
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<apology on>
Removed my own snarky remark. Should never have submitted it. Unlocked thread again. Should not have locked the thread.
</apology off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
ALbin75

Post by ALbin75 »

Orbmiser wrote:
"after a screen saver,"
That is safe enough and there is a setting to turn off password for screensaver.
Depending on distro used should show up in desktop settings>screensaver

Also can set the system to auto-log on when booting up.
Thanks. screensaver was all I needed. :)
mattzab
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mattzab »

Pjotr wrote:Do *NOT* disable the password. Under *no* circumstances whatsoever. :shock:

Learn the healthy way to work with Linux; don't try to turn it into a security-deficient clone of Windows.
Bad advice. Some of us have a reason for disabling all security prompts. In my case, I'm running Mint in a VM that I'm customizing, and plan to turn into a Live CD with my changes. I want the live user to be able to use anything without password prompts, exactly like how Mint Live sessions currently work. It may be dangerous in most situations, but to suggest that there is not a circumstance at all that this should be done is incorrect and inadequate.

This advice worked for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrgJ_fNJGJE

I watched the video without sound and at 2X speed, so I can't vouch for what may be said. The advice given did work, and I'm now building my ISO.

Thanks everyone!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

mattzab wrote:
Pjotr wrote:Do *NOT* disable the password. Under *no* circumstances whatsoever. :shock:

Bad advice. Some of us have a reason for disabling all security prompts. In my case, I'm running Mint in a VM that I'm customizing, and plan to turn into a Live CD with my changes. I want the live user to be able to use anything without password prompts, exactly like how Mint Live sessions currently work. It may be dangerous in most situations, but to suggest that there is not a circumstance at all that this should be done is incorrect and inadequate.
Bad comment. Don't rip my message out of its context.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Beginner Questions”