Mint has all of a sudden become unstable

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

possibly...

I'd suggest the following:

disable screensave
if the problem persists
revert to previous xorg.conf

also... I had similar instabilities when playing around with custom themes icons and stuff... one particular icon theme crashed my X permenantly... had to login through terminal and delete it...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

it should be enough... the only problem might be that all the "other" settings to x that you may have done in the meantime will be lost as well... that is if you did anything else...

To be on the safeside, backup your current xorg.conf and than replace it with your previous backup.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

post the current xorg.conf here... maybe there's some obvious problem...

also you might try restoring the original xorg.conf and than installing the ati driver with envy (unless that's what you did originally)...
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

well... of course there's always that possibility... it could of course be a gazillion things...

first eliminate faulty memory by running memtest... I think you can start it from grub...

after that check for overheating..... both CPU and GPU

It could also be inadequate or faulty PSU...

or any number of other things... but thouse above are most likely to be the problem
Husse

Post by Husse »

You should not use FAT32. It has no "logging" and in case of a crash you may get into trouble that ext3 had solved for you, being a journalled file system. I think I've seen some complaints about fglrx and screensavers, but a search for it reveals nothing (?)
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Hi manishk,
2 questions:
How do you connect to the internet?, Brand of the adapter?
Are you using an Nvidia graphic card?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint Curly
It may very well be the driver for your GF MX-440, from what I see when I do a search it looks a bit troublesome.
You may have to install a legacy driver, I think it can be done through manual install in envy, but try a normal install first. If you cant get into gnome just boot into recovery mode and then type envy

Ps My keyboard settings are wrong at the moment, some minor typing errors there....
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

I had to install a legacy driver from the http://www.nvidia.com, nothing else would work at all...

and even after that it wouldn't do GLX, so I reinstalled over it with envy and THAN it worked 100%.... I am talking about GeForce2 MX440
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

you can download the latest drivers from http://www.nvidia.com and than apply them offline...

you can also run envy in gui... at least the latest version that I have... (maybe it's only in the romeo repos, not sure)... in any case it works in gui for me, if it doesn't for you, add the romeo repos (look at the wiki on howto), update envy, disable romeo repos

8)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Curly, you can use envy in GUI as NiksaVel states. Just type "sudo envy -g" in a terminal and the -g does the trick. You have to reboot once as you have to restart X properly
Husse

Post by Husse »

Curly, now that you've got the gui running you can use envy and your internet connection to get the right driver.
If it fails you know how to get back into the gui :)
What motherboard and graphics card do you have?
There may (must?) be an issue with your hardware.
And vesa is at best "not terrible" :)

Return to “Other topics”