Software that you would like to have for Linux

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Software that you would like to have for Linux

Post by Alexiy »

What software would you like to be available for Linux? Not only alternatives to Windows soft, but also specially for Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Software that you would like to have for Linux

Post by Pjotr »

An application to update my TomTom navigation device with, because currently it's only available for Windows and Mac OS. For years, this has been (and still is) the only reason why I ever launch a VM with Windows 7 in VirtualBox.

Can't think of anything else. For the rest, the Linux ecosystem offers me all I need. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Photoshop or a decent alternative.

I would be quite happy if Gimpshop was still around. Gimp just seems to do things in unintuitive ways.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Rufus! Because I need an easy way to create GPT bootable USB installation media for UEFI machines and don't yet know how to do this with the tools in Linux.

Also as Pjotr said, support for TomTom as this will present a problem next time I want to update it, i.e. will have to put the hard disk with Win7 in whichever machine it came from and I've forgotten which one it was! It's been a while.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

BG405 wrote:...I need an easy way to create GPT bootable USB installation media for UEFI machines and don't yet know how to do this with the tools in Linux.
Have you tried the Mint USB image writer? It is what I used to create the bootable USB sticks that I used to install LM18 Cinnamon and MATE on my UEFI experimentation machine with a GPT HD.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

A decent, free and full featured WYSIWYG HTML editor.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

Moem wrote:A decent, free and full featured WYSIWYG HTML editor.
What editor are you using currently?
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Reorx wrote:Have you tried the Mint USB image writer? It is what I used to create the bootable USB sticks that I used to install LM18 Cinnamon and MATE on my UEFI experimentation machine with a GPT HD.
I've used it for standard ones but don't remember seeing GPT options, I'll have another look and familiarize myself with it. As long as it does the job I'll be happy with it :) cheers!

The machine I need it for at present is a tablet, it needs a FAT boot partition and NTFS OS partition in order to boot at all on the Linx7. Nothing else seems to work, shame as I haven't been able to get persistence to work using this scheme. Even then I have to put the "bootia32.efi" file in to efi/boot/ as it's 32-bit EFI, however I've had both 32-bit and 64-bit Mint live sessions working using this method. Subject for another thread though :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Alexiy wrote:
Dreamweaver 8, running in Wine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Penn

Post by Penn »

Pjotr wrote:An application to update my TomTom navigation device with, because currently it's only available for Windows and Mac OS. For years, this has been (and still is) the only reason why I ever launch a VM with Windows 7 in VirtualBox.

Can't think of anything else. For the rest, the Linux ecosystem offers me all I need. :mrgreen:
For me it's Magellan. Ironic that most GPS's use Linux and/or other open source but don't have end user Linux options to interact with the device. But I don't use my GPS as much as I used to so no big deal.

The only program I truly miss in Linux is MediaMonkey. No media program in Linux I have found can be an all encompassing media program, so I guess I'd like to see something than can do it all.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

free as in gratis or libre? Looks like right now you can't have both. http://bluegriffon.org/ is open source but to use all features a license must be purchased (but perhaps you don't need all the features). https://www.google.com/webdesigner/ is closed source but doesn't cost anything. All the other Linux native WYSIWYG HTML editors I know are long dead projects.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

xenopeek wrote: http://bluegriffon.org/ is open source but to use all features a license must be purchased (but perhaps you don't need all the features). https://www.google.com/webdesigner/ is closed source but doesn't cost anything.
Bluegriffon is most likely what I'd use if Dreamweaver did not work in Wine, which it does. I don't mind closed source, but I do object to Google Anything.

PS There's SeaMonkey Composer. But it's not all that sophisticated. Works for simple quick changes, though.

coder123

Post by coder123 »

What about sublime text? https://www.sublimetext.com/3
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

coder123 wrote:
What about sublime text?
Doesn't seem to be WYSIWYG... or are they just not communicating it clearly?

Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

Moem wrote:
Alexiy wrote:
Dreamweaver 8, running in Wine.
What features of dreamweaver are most important to you?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Alexiy wrote: What features of dreamweaver are most important to you?
To be honest: first and foremost the fact that I'm used to it. But if I had to name something that's not so personal: WYSIWYG. I'm helpless without that.

Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

A simple video editor like avidemux, but which doesn't crash or get the audio out of sync.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I'd really like the program that automatically adds money to my bank account.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Gaming software, and a lot more of it. Frostbite Engine 4 and Battlefield 1 anyone? Or maybe some more racing games? Perhaps porting newer Call of Duty's over. They're not all bad, :P. I've always liked shooters, so rainbow six siege would possibly be a fun one. Really anything with a great deal of destruction. So Red Faction Guerrilla would be nice too.

But, as we all know, none of this will ever happen... So I will keep dreaming. Or buy a PS4.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Worms Armageddon would be nice, used to have hours of fun with it. Not sure where the CD is but can probably find a copy online and try it in WINE (which at the time of writing this I have never used) - it might even work OK on the netbooks using this method. Something to investigate, maybe tonight if I find the CD. :D

Return to “Open Chat”