Mint 18KDE

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeMus

Mint 18KDE

Post by DeMus »

People, it seems our beloved KDE version is coming. Please do everyone a gigantic pleasure and don't shout: I want it, I want it.
Let the developers do their thing and when it is ready it will be there for you to download.

Let us, KDE'ers, show the rest of the Mint users we can behave, we can be patient (we have been patient for so long already, we will also survive those last days/weeks) and show Clem we give him and the team all the time they need.
When the final version is ready for download we can start screaming: Thank you, Thank you.

Thank you all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint 18KDE

Post by all41 »

+1 Amen
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Beta release seems imminent (LINK)... :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

DeMus wrote:People, it seems our beloved KDE version is coming. Please do everyone a gigantic pleasure and don't shout: I want it, I want it.
Let the developers do their thing and when it is ready it will be there for you to download.

Let us, KDE'ers, show the rest of the Mint users we can behave, we can be patient (we have been patient for so long already, we will also survive those last days/weeks) and show Clem we give him and the team all the time they need.
When the final version is ready for download we can start screaming: Thank you, Thank you.

Thank you all.
I disagree. I think us KDE users should hound the development team, insist "We want it now!" and generally abuse Clem and co. until we get what we want!

That's the way to get things done and is sure to speed up development time and improve quality of the final product by putting pressure on people.

After all... that's what's always been done to me by managers and clients! :lol:

Er, for the record... and the irony deficient (you can buy supplements from the local chemist - at least 400mg - and if you are irony deficient you probably need some coppery and silvery too...) that was humor/sarcasm.

Sadly, while i REALLY wanted to test out the Beta... out of four laptops I only have ONE that is working fully. One is in pieces, one needs new motherboard and there is no budget, One has a dodgy power supply and is a backup machine that has to be used while the others are bust and one works. With a full schedule and no money I am not in a position to look at the KDE Beta. :(

Still, I'm after 18 just for access to upgrades to Kdenlive and there's not a hope of video editing with my workload right now. So I can and have to wait. So, test it well for me people, OK? :D
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I didn't like the default themes for KDE 5 or how other distros have shipped KDE 5. Poking around with the pre-beta release of Linux Mint 18 KDE (it's not available publicly) this morning and I must say I really like what the team did with the theme! It has a Cinnamon kind of vibe to it now. So it doesn't look like Linux Mint 17.x KDE, but I think I like this new look for KDE.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

xenopeek wrote:I didn't like the default themes for KDE 5 or how other distros have shipped KDE 5. Poking around with the pre-beta release of Linux Mint 18 KDE (it's not available publicly) this morning and I must say I really like what the team did with the theme! It has a Cinnamon kind of vibe to it now. So it doesn't look like Linux Mint 17.x KDE, but I think I like this new look for KDE.
Ooo! Oooo! Sounds Good.

Gimme it NOW!!!

Damn. Now I've used up my irony. "10 times 400mg tablets please..."
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
Dr G

Post by Dr G »

xenopeek wrote:I didn't like the default themes for KDE 5 or how other distros have shipped KDE 5. Poking around with the pre-beta release of Linux Mint 18 KDE (it's not available publicly) this morning and I must say I really like what the team did with the theme! It has a Cinnamon kind of vibe to it now. So it doesn't look like Linux Mint 17.x KDE, but I think I like this new look for KDE.
Could you, pretty please, post a jpg?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It has just been approved for beta release! Probably over the weekend we'll see the announcement and you can download and try it yourself :wink:
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Serious? Mint KDE looks like Mint Cinnamon? Why? I sure hope the traditional KDE themes are still there to use cause I like those. I have never liked the way Cinnamon looks and I probably never will. It is KDE for 100% for me. The way it is intended.
Walter Lesaulnier

Post by Walter Lesaulnier »

Will Mint KDE 18 beta have the newer Compiz?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I doubt it will ship with Compiz installed; that would be kinda redundant. You can perhaps add it if you must. With exception of the added Kubuntu backports repository, it will use the same repositories as the other Linux Mint 18 editions. So you should find the same Compiz version as on the other editions in Software Manager.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

DeMus wrote:Serious? Mint KDE looks like Mint Cinnamon? Why? I sure hope the traditional KDE themes are still there to use cause I like those. I have never liked the way Cinnamon looks and I probably never will. It is KDE for 100% for me. The way it is intended.
He probably meant the usual blue theme in current and past KDE is changed to green, which is the identifying color of Mint's products.

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/wp-conten ... 08/kde.png
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

thom_A wrote:
DeMus wrote:Serious? Mint KDE looks like Mint Cinnamon? Why? I sure hope the traditional KDE themes are still there to use cause I like those. I have never liked the way Cinnamon looks and I probably never will. It is KDE for 100% for me. The way it is intended.
He probably meant the usual blue theme in current and past KDE is changed to green.

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/wp-conten ... 08/kde.png

It's not only the blue to green change, it is also the background which has the Cinnamon color (I guess). No, as a true KDE'er I like the KDE themes, the bright themes with the Noto sans font (sharp as a knife), just beautiful. But seeing other KDE distro's I don't worry, I know they will be there.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Can't wait. Mint 17.3 KDE is wonderful on my netbook.
-H
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Just got it off of Heanet...installation went without a hitch, and everything seems to be working well. The only glitch is that so far I can't get video thumbnails to work easily like in 17.3. Something is missing and can't track it down yet. Other than that it seems to look and work better than Kubuntu.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

DeMus wrote:It's not only the blue to green change, it is also the background which has the Cinnamon color (I guess). No, as a true KDE'er I like the KDE themes, the bright themes with the Noto sans font (sharp as a knife), just beautiful. But seeing other KDE distro's I don't worry, I know they will be there.
Cinnamon is Mint's flagship. I don't use Cinnamon, but a lot of people do. In fact, when they make threads such as:

"Linux Mint 18.0 is *AWESOME*

"Linux 17.0 to 18.0 Impressive"

"Linux Mint 18 is A Outstanding OS"

"Mint 18 - the besk desktop. Period"

they're talking about Cinnamon. They might as well call Cinnamon Linux Mint.

I double boot with Mint 18 Xfce and Mint 17.3 KDE, btw.

I don't know what this Breeze theme did to the latest KDE distros. It affected everything. It's ugly even when you change it to other themes like oxygen or gnome. There's too many unnecessary blank spaces in the default menu. They're obviously trying out a simplified theme. Don't know why. They probably think it's cute.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

DeMus wrote:
Serious? Mint KDE looks like Mint Cinnamon? Why? I sure hope the traditional KDE themes are still there to use cause I like those. I have never liked the way Cinnamon looks and I probably never will. It is KDE for 100% for me. The way it is intended.
OK, everyone. Torches, pitchforks, blunt instruments?
kill1.jpg
Good, good. Standard procedure rampage then.
kill2.jpg
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Found workaround for video thumbnail problem. Just required a symlink. Now my KDE 18 is sweeeet!
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Beta is officially released: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3086

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”