Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” KDE – BETA Release

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” KDE – BETA Release

Post by clem »

Grof

Re: Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” KDE – BETA Release

Post by Grof »

Congratulations!

But, why not Plasma 5.7?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Grof wrote:why not Plasma 5.7?
As noted on the "what's new" page, the APT sources include the Kubuntu Backports PPA which provides updates to newer versions of the Plasma desktop. Currently that PPA has Plasma 5.6 and thus Linux Mint 18 KDE has that version: https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+arc ... ter=xenial. Without that PPA it would have Plasma 5.5 instead. You'll get updates to Plasma and other KDE software from that PPA as well. This may be a useful read as well: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2016/08/p ... is-coming/
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

xenopeek wrote:
As noted on the "what's new" page, the APT sources include the Kubuntu Backports PPA which provides updates to newer versions of the Plasma desktop. Currently that PPA has Plasma 5.6 and thus Linux Mint 18 KDE has that version: https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+arc ... ter=xenial. Without that PPA it would have Plasma 5.5 instead. You'll get updates to Plasma and other KDE software from that PPA as well. This may be a useful read as well: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2016/08/p ... is-coming/
Excellent. This brings Kubuntu and Mint KDE much closer together, and offers a chance for users to get plasma updates while keeping the base install static.
Grof

Post by Grof »

xenopeek wrote:
Thank you for explanation! :)
MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MMcD488 »

It took me 3 tries to get the live usb to get to a desktop, but I've been sampling it for a couple hours now and man is KDE pretty. I may switch over from Cinnamon once the stable version releases.
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

Whoohoo! Been waiting for this!! :mrgreen: Time to install and play! :mrgreen:
Desktop: LM 21.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb
Laptop: MSI GE76 Raider i9 LM21.1
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I liked KDE version 2.x okay. Back then I ran a multi-DE setup and would boot into it... maybe not as often as I averaged with the others, but fairly often. I don't suppose there is any kind of "classic mode," lol? Or an easy way of substantially replicating the same look/feel?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
peer

Post by peer »

I tried this new release in virtualbox. I feel direct at home with this fabulous release.
I feels very solid and fortunately it is not overloaded with programs.
The only trouble I ran into was with cairo-dock. Sometimes cairo-dock freezes after using an other program. This happened also in 17.3 KDE.

This a very good release!!
Klitias

Post by Klitias »

Seems to be a G R E A T Release!
Plasma looks fabulous! Hope everything will be at the most stable level on final release!!

Congratulations!

:)
Menak Vishap

Post by Menak Vishap »

Congratulations and thank you for great job!

The only noticeably and irritating bug which I found: the Mint Software Manager uses the ugly Breeze-style icons despite I switched to the Oxygen icon theme just immediately after booting (and made logoff - login after that, of course). I very hope that in release everything will be OK, and all Mint-specific tools will support the Oxygen theme well, especially the Oxygen icon set. Not all users are compatible with new Breeze theme, I am just unable to use desktop with it, and very hope that Oxygen will be well-supported.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Anyone having problems with VPNC in the networkmanger? (I could have fat-fingered something)
The Cisco Anyconnect works fine, tho.

Loving it day 1 on my netbook;)
-H
mkruger

Post by mkruger »

Coming from Mint 17.2 KDE (which I really loved), I have to admit the new KDE 5.x takes a little get used to. KDE 5 feels so different than KDE 4 and seems to have a subdued foggy gray look to everything. Guess I will try playing around with the themes a bit until I can find something I can live with.

Overall though, this release looks very modern and in typical Linux Mint fashion, everything has a very refined and polished character to it all.

As for stability, seems good. Noticed a few minor bugs though.
  • During install the text for the partitioning choices was missing. Just had some radio buttons and blue lines underlining where the text descriptions were supposed to be. Exiting the installer, trying another theme, and running the installer again resolved the issue. I don't recall which theme I was using when the problem occurred.
  • Within systems settings > Application Style > Window decorations, I clicked the little boxes on the extreme right to adjust settings and they popped up with the text all corrupt. Waving the mouse over them seemed to fix it.
  • Update manager in the system tray.....only way to open it is by right clicking it. Double clicking does not open it....although double clicking opens everything else in this panel.
MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MMcD488 »

I also had the issue with text corruption and the blue line instead of text descriptions on installers. For me, it was only when I was on the live usb using the nouveau driver (which doesn't support re-clocking on my video card). After I installed it and switched to the Nvidia driver, the issues went away for me. I also noticed having to right-click instead of double click the Update Manager icon to open it and I noticed that mine didn't hide when when I set the preferences to "only show icon when updates are available or in case of errors."

My biggest issue since the install is most of the time if I try to open dolphin as root I get an error message that says "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly." Using dolphin with regular permissions works fine but when I try to open as root and that error message comes up, I can't navigate and no files show up in that window. Once I get that error it persists every time I try to open dolphin as root until I reboot.
New Linux enthusiast
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

MMcD488 wrote:My biggest issue since the install is most of the time if I try to open dolphin as root I get an error message that says "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly."
GUI applications should never be run as Root. You could try "kdesu dolphin" but you will probably still get an error.

It was possible to get away with it in KDE 4, but not in KDE 5. If you want to use a file manager as Root, then I suggest you install Krusader, which is designed to run natively as either a User or Root.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

MMcD488 wrote:My biggest issue since the install is most of the time if I try to open dolphin as root I get an error message that says "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly."
How are you opening Dolphin as root? I do it with right-click on a directory and selecting actions > open as root. I have no issues with that.
MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MMcD488 »

xenopeek wrote:How are you opening Dolphin as root? I do it with right-click on a directory and selecting actions > open as root. I have no issues with that.
That's how I usually do it too. Sometimes it works fine, other times it gives me the error message. I also tried

Code: Select all

kdesudo dolphin
in Konsole but that doesn't make a difference once the error happens the first time.
New Linux enthusiast
RonC

Different Desktop widgets/folders feature is 'broken'

Post by RonC »

KDE in Rosa allows each virtual desktop to display its own set of directories and widgets. When the user changes to another desktop, the widgets/directories defined for the new Desktop replace those defined for the previous desktop.

:?: Can anyone duplicate the problem (in Sarah-beta) on their installation?

Rosa's check-box setting -- that allows KDE to remember the different per-desktop settings -- is missing in Sarah.

What is happening in Sarah (beta version):
As you 'page' through the multiple virtual desktops, only the icons/folders/links/etc. from a single directory appear in all of the desktops.

How to duplicate Sarah's problem, in Rosa:

Uncheck 'Different Widgets for each Desktop'. Behavior is now becomes identical to that of Rosa -- in other words, the desktops are now 'broken' -- to anyone who wishes to see individual sets of icons/widgets remaining, for each individual desktop..

But, after 'breaking' it -- you can fix it (in Rosa):
Recheck the 'Different Widgets' checkbox. Fortunately, KDE 'remembers' the desktops previously defined, so each virtual desktop once again behaves normally, without restoring the system. (I'm running with Systemback, but it was not needed, here.)

Detailed list of Steps to Reproduce the Problem, in Mint KDE 18 / Sarah:
  • System settings ->
    Desktop Behavior ->
    Virtual Desktops (Navigation, Number and Layout) ->
    Tab Desktops
    Layout, Number of desktops: 3 (for example)
    All other settings at defaults.
    • But, since Checkbox is missing, user is unable to select the option:
      [x] Different widgets for each Desktop
    Pick one Desktop
    Folder View Settings ->
    Wallpaper, Layout: ->
    Folder View ->
    Select any folder with a few subdirectories, links, documents, etc.
    Apply: (contents of folder/directory then appear on Desktop)

Go to pager that appears by default, left of lower Task Bar.
    Click on another Desktop (or roll mouse scroll wheel with cursor on empty spot in Desktop)
    • Contents of Desktop (Specify a folder, as above) fail to shift/change.
    Using Pager, shift to a different desktop
    Open Location and see what appears in Location:
    [x] Specify a folder remains checked
    But, the directory selected for the other Desktop remains.
    Change Location on this Desktop to a different directory.
    Return to first Desktop
    Original Directory selection has now been lost
    • It is replaced by setting made on other desktop.
:?: Where is the 'Different widgets' checkbox, in Sarah? Has it been moved to another menu?

P.S.: This is observed when running Sarah 'live'. Can someone with an installed copy let me know if the problematic behavior can be duplicated?
I find it hard to believe this would fix it, but of course anything is possible.
Last edited by RonC on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 9 times in total.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I miss wobbly windows ;)
-H

Edit:
I found it!
Got to Settings->Display and set the Compositor to OpenGL 3.1
Then the option will be available on Settings->Desktop Behavior->Desktop Effects
Wahoo!!!
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

MMcD488 wrote:I also tried

Code: Select all

kdesudo dolphin
in Konsole but that doesn't make a difference once the error happens the first time.
I thought sudo was for non-GUI applications and that su(?) was the one that was intended/safe/correct for GUI ones? Or is that a faulty memory on my part (entirely possible :lol: ).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”