Wish list for Hardware compatibility database for Linux required

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Wish list for Hardware compatibility database for Linux required

Post by deepakdeshp »

As we know most of the laptops and desktops come preloaded with Windows. It would be very helpful if there was a hardware compatibility for Linux web site. It can accept as my mode number and output the Linux variations like Ubuntu Suse etc. This would help people in choosing compatible hardware for Linux . It is a wish list that the database should be a composite one like for a model it should give compatibility for all Linux distros like Mint, Ubuntu , Suse , Red hat etc.It will be a matter of development, scanning the compatibilty lists of all Linux flavours from the net and combine them and present a unified database.

e.g. I will input Lenovo-Ideapad-300-80Q700UYIH-Laptop-Core-i5
and the out put should be a table like compatible with
1. Ubuntu 14 onwards
2. Mint 17 onwards
3. Fedora 19 onwards and so on
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Hardware compatibility database for Linux required

Post by jimallyn »

Iknow there have been several hardware databases in the past, but it's been so long since I've needed one that I can't remember where they were, exactly. These days, it's not so important because Linux supports just about any hardware.

Wait, I think there is a Mint Hardware Data Base. ... Yep, there is it:

https://community.linuxmint.com/hardware
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Hardware compatibility database for Linux required

Post by deepakdeshp »

Wait, I think there is a Mint Hardware Data Base. ... Yep, there is it:
It is a wish list that the database should be a composite one like for a model it should give compatibility for all Linux distros like Mint, Ubuntu , Suse , Red hat etc.
It will be a matter of development, scanning the compatibilty lists of all Linux flavours from the net and combine them and present a unified database.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Wish list for Hardware compatibility database for Linux required

Post by Portreve »

Broadly speaking, all common hardware is, by now, supported.

Areas of trouble with hardware support mostly are WNICs, graphics adapters, and maybe sound cards.

In general, any distro that is either Debian- or Fedora-based should have the absolute broadest possible hardware support, as those particular origin points are now the oldest and have seen the greatest variety of hardware. Debian still produces PowerPC-supporting releases.

If anything, subsystem compatibility lists make more sense, at least to me, since it's far more likely that your WNIC/graphics/sound/etc. device won't be supported than your desktop or laptop won't be supported.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

deepakdeshp wrote:As we know most of the laptops and desktops come preloaded with Windows
So reformat the hard drive and install Linux Mint - not a problem at all.

The last laptop I bought had a sticker on its underside showing the main specifications. Unfortunately it also stated: OS Win8. Is that just a bit of Asus arrogance or did they have their arm twisted commercially by you-know-who. As well as that, the BIOS is from American Megatrends which provides a toggle to switch OS between Win 7 and Win 8 and nothing else.
So what does one say - et tu Brute?

The laptop after having Win 8.1 deleted and then reformatted works fine with Linux Mint 18.

There was a time when some hardware did not work out of the box in Linux. Those days are long gone.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
lexon

Post by lexon »

My fairly new wireless Canon Pixma 470 is the only hardware issue I can think of. MInt 17 does not see the scanner with Simple Scan or xSane using wireless or USB.
Printer is ok but always get a pop up that says need a driver.
Mint 17 suggested the 450 driver as I recall.
The Linux driver install from Canon failed about halfway through.
HP printer scanners were always ok with MInt. Always had HP printer scanners since I started using Linux in 2003.
Use my W10 PC for scanning now or my older 17 PC in the back room with HP printer scanner.
Windows and MInt both need backup capability.

L
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

You may find this walkthrough useful:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/18
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

kyphi wrote:
deepakdeshp wrote:... There was a time when some hardware did not work out of the box in Linux. Those days are long gone.
Complete rubbish based on nothing but your limited experience.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Nearly everything works, so I don't think a hardware database is very useful. Not to mention the amount of work needed to keep it complete and up to date.... But I advise to apply these thumb rules:

1. Don't buy bleeding edge new stuff, but hardware that's already on the market for some time. That increases the chance of the right drivers being present in the kernel of Mint 18. Additional advantage: it saves you a lot of money.

2. Make sure your graphics card is either Intel or Nvidia; avoid AMD and the others. Reason: Intel and Nvidia produce fine Linux drivers, which they support for a relatively long period. AMD and the rest: not so much....

3. Wireless: don't buy a Broadcom chipset. Buy Atheros, Intel, Ralink or Realtek instead. The closed proprietary Broadcom drivers work fine in most cases, but in too many cases not.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Thank you PJOTR. Tips from the expert!
Regards,
Deepak

JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

I would like to add the following link: http://www.linux-drivers.org/ which then itself links to many such databases. :)

Pjotr, in my experience with wifi cards, Ralink chips are (or maybe they're not anymore?) huge offenders at lacking linux support. This is assuming there aren't very many driver differences between the current state of Mint and my current OS, Arch Linux. Though I had problems with both OS'es. I would not buy Ralink again.

I'm very pleased with the current state of the Linux kernel and, as such, there are only a fraction of devices which might not have full hardware support. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux”