Can't add search engine to firefox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
1971rk

Can't add search engine to firefox

Post by 1971rk »

I'm using LM Rosa, I have just installed Firefox, there is NO search engines installed by default. I have went to the LM search engine page and tried to add several different engines, however when I click the link the green plus sign pops up on the magnifying glass, but there is nothing in the box when clicking the plus sign. Trying to click the "Add search engine" link within that drop down box does nothing, it's like there is a glitch in the search engine function, but I'm sure there is a work around somewhere....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Can't add search engine to firefox

Post by xenopeek »

This sounds pretty bad. Which version of Firefox are you using? I would recommend making sure you've updated it through Update Manager and as needed delete the .mozilla directory in your home directory to erase all Firefox settings, bookmarks, add-ons, and such to start with a clean profile. Press Ctrl+H in your file manager to show hidden files like .mozilla.
ladyonthemoon

Post by ladyonthemoon »

Did you try adding search engines from within the addon pages of Firefox?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/#
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

1971rk wrote:I have just installed Firefox, there is NO search engines installed by default.
There is something wrong. Although by default you might probably miss the search engine of your choice, there do exist search engines by default. If you have really none, it must have a reason.

Possibly the advice by xenopeek to delete the hidden folder .mozilla in your home corrects the problem.
If not create a new user account and check the problem there.

Return to “Beginner Questions”