Software that you would like to have for Linux

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
sikejsudjek

Re: Software that you would like to have for Linux

Post by sikejsudjek »

Reaper DAW audio recording. Fortunately they are now working on a native linux version :D
MajorMuff

Post by MajorMuff »

Traktor! I'd love to be able to run it natively because I use several DJ controllers which cause lag when used via Wine or PlayOnLinux :(
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

sikejsudjek wrote:Reaper DAW audio recording. Fortunately they are now working on a native linux version :D
Have you tried Ardour?
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

Alexiy wrote:
sikejsudjek wrote:Reaper DAW audio recording. Fortunately they are now working on a native linux version :D
Have you tried Ardour?
I haven't yet. I''ve used Reaper for some years on windows, and I may still be stuck with windows for some of my vst plugins which use ilok. Not sure if there is a way round this. Reaper Linux is still alpha, but they're such a great bunch of programmers its good news that they are working on a native version. Someone on their forums did a latency test and it was very good even with the alpha. On the plus side - removing everything else off windows 7 except recording to mint has helped speed it up.
rc_racer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rc_racer »

Portreve wrote:I'd really like the program that automatically adds money to my bank account.
LOL Ditto
rc_racer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rc_racer »

I still cannot get used to No Anti-Virus software needed for a Linux OS. People Hack and I would think that someone somewhere who had the know how would find it a challenge to write viruses for Linux systems. I Know there is a program called clam but the interface is terrible and I have not been able to get it to work right. I would like to see a good Anti-Virus software written for Linux.
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

rc_racer wrote:I still cannot get used to No Anti-Virus software needed for a Linux OS. People Hack and I would think that someone somewhere who had the know how would find it a challenge to write viruses for Linux systems. I Know there is a program called clam but the interface is terrible and I have not been able to get it to work right. I would like to see a good Anti-Virus software written for Linux.
Linux is very different from Windows regarding security. Firstly, it asks for password for doing anything important. Secondly, community maintains software repositories where only safe programs can be installed. Next, Linux desktop share is too small to be a significant target for virus makers.
There are PPA's which contain software outside repositories, which might be a bit risky to use. But you can avoid them.
And I suppose that writing viruses for Linux is harder than for Windows and not "profitable" or rewarding from a cracker's view point.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Moem wrote:There's SeaMonkey Composer. But it's not all that sophisticated. Works for simple quick changes, though.
In defense of Seamonkey Composer, I have used that to design multiple web sites and web pages. I have not encountered anything I wanted to do that I can't do with Composer.
My latest creation with Seamonkey Composer is here :arrow: Theme Editing Guide for Mint 18 Themes
(Warning - only the first 3 chapters are complete!)
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I would like to see genuine linux versions for the accounting programs Turbo Tax and Quicken which my sister in law uses. Now, I think one of these programs runs in either Wine or Crossover, but she doesn't want to go that route. She's tried Gnucash and doesn't care for it.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
Elcatters

Post by Elcatters »

I would like to have a really good 3270 panel program, equivalent in look and feel to IBM PCCOMMS, or alternatively a way to make the Windows XP version run on the desktop. As long as I need to use this program, I am stuck with needing an XP system.
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

rc_racer wrote: I would like to see a good Anti-Virus software written for Linux.
I would too, not that garbage that runs constantly eating up memory but a simple scanner that looks for potential threats to my system in tar/zip files.
Alexiy wrote:There are PPA's which contain software outside repositories, which might be a bit risky to use. But you can avoid them.
This thread proves that some users wish to use software that is not in the repository, I don't understand why we are not provided with the tools to do so safely. Being effectively limited to 'approved software' is not my definition of freedom.
rc_racer wrote:I Know there is a program called clam but the interface is terrible and I have not been able to get it to work right

Clam is dangerous as far as I am concerned because it does not scan for potential threats to linux systems. It only scans for stuff that affects windows. Yet the package manager states:
Synaptic Package Manager wrote:Clam AntiVirus is an anti-virus toolkit for Unix.
This language seems deceptive to me. Nowhere does the manager inform the user that clam doesn't scan for threats to linux but is only useful to scan email attachments one is going to forward to windows users. Seems to me like this could lead one to believe that software scanned with clam is safe to install on their linux system even though it might not be.
Alexiy wrote:And I suppose that writing viruses for Linux is harder than for Windows and not "profitable" or rewarding from a cracker's view point.
So why do you suppose mint was cracked in February?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

stormryder wrote:So why do you suppose mint was cracked in February?
It wasn't. The download page was compromised, through an unsafe Wordpress plugin, and the links on that page were replaced by links to backdoored ISOs. It was a nasty and potentially harmful attack, that's for sure, but not a single Linux virus was involved and not a single installation of Mint was cracked.

Still, the point stands that someone apparently thought it was worth their time. Which proves that Mint is getting too well-known to rely solely on security through obscurity.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

Replicator software that will produce coffee and jelly donuts on demand ;0)

Mint 18 does just about everything I need it to
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

OunceofCommonSense wrote:Replicator software that will produce coffee and jelly donuts on demand ;0)
Mint 18 does just about everything I need it to
I hope the Replicator can produce some good whiskey. :lol:
My real (long-time) fantasy is a computer that is totally voice operated. I keep waiting for that to be perfected. :roll:
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

Moem wrote:The download page was compromised, through an unsafe Wordpress plugin, and the links on that page were replaced by links to backdoored ISOs. It was a nasty and potentially harmful attack, that's for sure, but not a single Linux virus was involved and not a single installation of Mint was cracked.
It was all the fault of the 'scapegoat plugin'. :lol:
So tsunami is not a linux virus and that webpage wasn't hosted on a mint server? I'll remember that.
Clem wrote:Hackers made a modified Linux Mint ISO, with a backdoor in it, and managed to hack our website to point to it.
I apologize for not knowing the correct terminology here but the point is that no system is invulnerable.
Moem wrote:Which proves that Mint is getting too well-known to rely solely on security through obscurity.
Its a bad security policy anyway.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

stormryder wrote:So tsunami is not a linux virus
So I never said that.
stormryder wrote:and that webpage wasn't hosted on a mint server?
I don't know, but it seems unlikely. Mint is not a server OS.

But if you want to play word games, have fun, but I'm not interested.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

stormryder wrote:So tsunami is not a linux virus
No, tsunami was/is a backdoor program, not a virus (it's deprecated and I'm rather surprised the hackers chose to use it). http://malware.wikia.com/wiki/Tsunami
A "virus" has to be self-replicating and able to embed itself into other programmes. Tsunami did neither.
stormryder wrote:that webpage wasn't hosted on a mint server?
I highly doubt it. Mint is not a server OS. ;)
stormryder wrote:I apologize for not knowing the correct terminology here but the point is that no system is invulnerable.
You're correct. However, in this case it was not a matter of a Mint vulnerability, but a server/webpage vulnerability (that has been fixed).
Unless you're referring to the hacked isos, in which case a vulnerability was purposely introduced by the hackers.

stormryder wrote:
Moem wrote:Which proves that Mint is getting too well-known to rely solely on security through obscurity.
Its a bad security policy anyway.
Absolutely! :)
There's a lot of misinformation out there that says that Linux is only secure because of obscurity (which is absolutely false). But that info then leads newbies who don't know any better to install anything and everything on their systems because "Linux is secure!"
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

BG405 wrote:Worms Armageddon would be nice, used to have hours of fun with it.
Ever tried Hedgewars? I know that this is an alternative, but it's the closest thing I got.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

A nice but simple to use c and c++ ide whichbgives context sensitive help. Meaning if I hover my mouse over printf it gives me syntax and a simple working code with printf
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "MintBean",

There are numerous good to excellent alternatives to Photoshop in Linux, and there are many posts in this forum on that topic.

This Theme Pack Makes GIMP Look and Work Like Photoshop
New theme pack helps make the switch easier for newbies, August 14, 2016
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/make ... oshop-easy

4 Themes That Will Make GIMP 2.8 Look and Work Like Photoshop, May 26, 2016
http://www.linuxslaves.com/2016/05/4-th ... oshop.html

Corel AfterShot Pro 3!
http://www.aftershotpro.com/en/

Free Photo Editor - Easy-to-learn RAW photo editor (64-bit only)
http://www.aftershotpro.com/en/free-trials/

Gimpshop (not sure how updated or maintained this is)
https://www.gimpshop.com/
Install in Linux
http://linux.suramya.com/tutorials/Install_GIMPShop/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Open Chat”